Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New via Live 120 issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New via Live 120 issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: New via Live 120 issues Reply with quote

I have bought a new via Live 120 today and wish I hadn't Sad . It certainly wasn't an "out of the box" working piece of kit. Having owned previous versions of the One and also the software on a PDA, I am somewhat disappointed with the way things work now. With the difficulties I was having, I had hoped to use the live chat facility, but see that appears to have been removed now. It could have sorted my problem within minutes.

I have (after having to register a new account, couldn't link the new device to my old one even though the old device was 18 months old. Continually told can only switch after 6 months), managed to get some limited access to the device. Plugging it in and switching on does not enable it as a additional drive on my pc's. The only way I can see to add/ remove content is to use the web interface and the rubbish mytomtom. The speed camera files have now been loaded, but I cannot assign the camera image to them. The provided files are *.bmp, is that still the supported format on the Live series, all I am getting is a red circle?

I can't see any option to back up the device either and certainly unable to do a full drive backup without access through Windows Explorer.

I have turned off the TT camera notifications, so hope that will prevent their annoying intrusion to my driving experience.

Not really sure on the warning sounds. Will they not be picked up in the old way either, even though assigned? I had the old "bing bong- Gatso" etc (female voice), files, but can't find them anywhere either. Does anyone know where they live now please?

Finally, it would seem that my nice shiny new device could be a victim of the leap year bug as I haven't seen it with a gps fix so far today. I have a feeling that it may have to be a "not fit for purpose" sale if they don't get a wriggle on Sad

If anyone has any solutions, please let me know.

Mark
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: New via Live 120 issues Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Plugging it in and switching on does not enable it as a additional drive on my pc's. The only way I can see to add/ remove content is to use the web interface and the rubbish mytomtom.

Welcome to NAV3 TomTom's... :/

marksfish wrote:
The speed camera files have now been loaded, but I cannot assign the camera image to them. The provided files are *.bmp, is that still the supported format on the Live series, all I am getting is a red circle?

Doesn't sound right to me... Not got mine to hand at moment but someone else may be able to give advice about this.

marksfish wrote:
I can't see any option to back up the device either and certainly unable to do a full drive backup without access through Windows Explorer.

You can't. The only thing you can do is take a local copy of your 'favourites' from the device via MyTomTom.

marksfish wrote:
Not really sure on the warning sounds. Will they not be picked up in the old way either, even though assigned? I had the old "bing bong- Gatso" etc (female voice), files, but can't find them anywhere either. Does anyone know where they live now please?

Exactly the same as before - assuming you uploaded them?

marksfish wrote:
Finally, it would seem that my nice shiny new device could be a victim of the leap year bug as I haven't seen it with a gps fix so far today. I have a feeling that it may have to be a "not fit for purpose" sale if they don't get a wriggle on Sad

Apparently there's software update in MyTomTom for this now.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PGPSW speed cameras, the installation and set-up process is exactly the same as it always was. You just have to use MyTomTom's "Add community content" feature to get the files onto the device.

It still uses:
1} .ov2 files for the data

2}.bmp files for the icons (if they have the same name as the datafile then they will be used automatically.... there's no need to "assign the camera image to them")

3}Optional double-sized _X2.bmp files for the larger "warning" icon in the top left corner.

4} Optional . ogg files for the audio (again, (if they have the same name as the data file then they will be used automatically)

These can all be downloaded by following the link to the right of this web-page.

Some further info about the audio files....

There ended up being a mish-mash of sets of audio voice files that were created by various people over the years, and many of them were incomplete because various camera types or speeds didn't exist when they were made.

For that reason, PGPSW eventually decided to commission some NEW voice alerts (one male, one female, with and without a bingbong chime, and in MPH AND km/h).
Those audio files are now available for download at the same time as the main camera data files, so it all happens in one simple process. (see download link on the right of this page)

However, if you are desperate to use one of the old voices, then they are still available for download in exactly the same place on the PGPSW site here.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had to leave it downloading/ updating all night, then gave a reboot as it doesn't do it automatically any more when unplugged Sad.

Result 1- The gps did pick up location and has worked since.

Result 2- The camera pictures were in the wrong folder. Didn't realise the *.bmp had to go in the same POI folder as the ov2 files, had uploaded them to community images instead.

Result 3- Have found my ancient TT One, so can copy the "bing bong" voices from there to the new one. The beeps at the beginning of the new voices don't have the same alert effect of the "bing bong" Very Happy

I connected the device to my pc again tonight to put the files in the correct places and something else is downloading now????? With TT Home, you had the option to choose what was downloaded to the device, now it happens automatically and you have no idea what it being put on, which is a tad annoying. Anyhow, working sat nav now, let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the input Very Happy

Mark
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem I have found is navigating to stored POI's.

On my old device, I used to go to Navigate/ POI near you/ POI folder/ POI name and I could get all my nationwide points. It seems that the range is now about 60 miles (POI this side of Hull showed, but POI other side didn't). This now means if I want to navigate to one of my saved POIs that is more than 60 miles away, I either have to put in the postcode, or navigate myself close enough for it to be picked up.

Mark

P.S. I have just seen Navigate/ POI in city/ . This way I have found the POI on the far side of Hull. But if I go to Birmingham for example, do I have to be specific? If I need to go to Willenhall, will that still come under Birmingham or somewhere else?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE complain to TomTom*** about this POI "horizon" issue. It's one of the things that I hate most about these new models.

Someone at TomTom confessed to me that he had no idea why they were like that, so the more people who moan about it the more likely it is to get changed.

I have the same issue with my "Family" POIs. I used to be able to select any one of them to drive to, but according to TomTom I now have less relatives becasue some live too far away.

Another bad example is when you want to go to somewhere like "Midlands International Airport" but have no idea what town it might be near.

---

As for your Birmingham/Willenhall question, you just have to put any town or sity and it will find POIs within the radius (which I think is now 75 or 100 km)

***UK Support number is: 0845 161 0009 Monday - Friday: 9am-6.30pm UK time Wink
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
PLEASE complain to TomTom*** about this POI "horizon" issue. It's one of the things that I hate most about these new models.

Complaint has been made on that issue and all the others I have since come across, just call me Victor Smile. I'm sure I will get used to them, but the other two annoying things are:

1. Volume is not loud enough. My old TT One was at 85% with adjust to speed set, and was plenty loud enough to compensate for wind noise and radio. New unit is set to 100% with adjust to speed, and I struggle to hear it. It's even more of a problem when you receive a phone call via bluetooth. You might just as well pull over and pick the phone up instead of trying to hear what is beig said to you.

2. There is a terrible lag on the icons. Once pressing an icon, it can take up to 5 seconds for the next screen to appear. This sometimes means pushing it again and again as you don't know if the instruction has been received by the device. The TT One was instant.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: