Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding Fines Almost As High As Driver Ignorance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding Fines Almost As High As Driver Ignorance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
I don't agree that the buffer zones are stupid. Drivers often fail to apply their brakes when they see a 30mph sign, they simply take their foot off the gas.
That's because the speed limit signs are placed at such a distance from the place that they are needed that it's usually a safe thing to do (even if illegal). It's only the scamera vans that think it's important to instantly obey the limit, in fact I think that they would prefer it if we didn't Rolling Eyes .
I'm with Dennis on this one.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the buffer zone for leaving the 30mph zone? Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree that we don't need a buffer zone when leaving a speed limit. I've never seen a speed limit that only applies to only one direcion of travel on a two way road so I guess that there is some rule that prevents this.

Locally most of the 30mph speed limits are right at the edge of villages where the built up area begins, without a buffer zone (either at 40mph or at 30mph). It seems just as likely that a child will run into the road at the edge of the 30mph limit as in the middle of it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Well, I agree that we don't need a buffer zone when leaving a speed limit. I've never seen a speed limit that only applies to only one direcion of travel on a two way road so I guess that there is some rule that prevents this.

Imagine the speeding lawyers? He did a u-turn where the speed limit wasn't 40 on his side, but derestricted, yer 'onner.

pcaoulte wrote:
Locally most of the 30mph speed limits are right at the edge of villages where the built up area begins, without a buffer zone (either at 40mph or at 30mph). It seems just as likely that a child will run into the road at the edge of the 30mph limit as in the middle of it.

And that's why everybody should not simply lift their foot off the accelerator, they should also drop it down on the brake - I do and so do others. Don't they ever wonder how (and for the rest of their lives) they'd feel if a child did pop out and they killed one? It's not easy to see how to blame a child or even adult pedestrian for being killed or maimed by a vehicle.

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
And that's why everybody should not simply lift their foot off the accelerator, they should also drop it down on the brake - I do and so do others. Don't they ever wonder how (and for the rest of their lives) they'd feel if a child did pop out and they killed one? It's not easy to see how to blame a child or even adult pedestrian for being killed or maimed by a vehicle.
Agreed, and drive to the conditions. Last weekend whist driving in town on a wide road in a 30mph limit I came to an area with cars parked on both sides of the road, this reduced the available width to a single vehicle. I dropped my speed to possibly 10 or 15 mph for that section. A child ran out from between two parked cars on the right and dissapeared between two parked cars on the left, perhaps 10 yards in front of me. Had I been doing 30mph I would almost certainly have hit the child. As I was doing 10 - 15mph the child still has no idea that I was there.

I did stop at the end of the row of parked cars to try to rant at the parents of the child but the child had gone and there were no adults around. I estimate that the child was about 6 years old. I do place blame with whoever was responsible for the care of the child for allowing her to run free on a busy road. I am, of course, very relieved that I did not hit the child.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
......to try to rant at the parents of the child but the child had gone and there were no adults around.
Lucky you. Had there been, you would probably given them a good listening to about your 'excessive' speed and other similar abuse that seems to be the standard response to any suggestion that they should keep better control of their ferral childeren Twisted Evil .
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are probably right. It no longer seems to be the parents responsibility to actually look after their small children. If I had hit the child I bet the parents would say that she had slipped away whilst their back was turned for a few seconds and that I must have been going too fast!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT, BUT, BUT, the point is you were NOT going too fast and if you had been unfortunate enough to hit her, she'd have got up spitting sparks at you instead of leaking blood and stuff. I do the same sort of speed in the same situation - hardly looking at the road ahead for looking at both sides and I'm constantly worried sick about the possibility of the same child terrifying me.

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand - if you had been driving quicker, you would have passed her before she ran out and would have still missed her. Rolling Eyes

I'll get my coat.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: