Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Start 25 HELP?? (speed cam alerts)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Start 25 HELP?? (speed cam alerts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: TomTom Start 25 HELP?? (speed cam alerts) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am getting signs showing on my device that I am approaching speed cameras, however, I am not receiving a sound alert, although, I have selected, ''Sound effect''???

I have noted the ''Sound effect'' alert does work when I do a ''show route demo'', however, doesn't work in real time.

When it was working - I realised that I had 2 databases working at nearly the same time - I really hated that, how can I configure the device to only operate the pocketgps database?

If someone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To switch off the TomTom-supplied database, just go to "Services" / "Speed cameras" and tap "Disable alerts"

Once you are using just the PGPSW database, you use "Manage POIs" / "Warn when near POI" to set up the audio alerts.

Do you know about the VOICE alerts from here? If you use those, when you do the set up for each camera type, you still select "sound effect" but the sound file gets selected automatically, so you don't need to choose it from a list.

I'm afraid I cannot think of any way in which you could ever get an audio alert on a demo but not while actually driving.
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
To switch off the TomTom-supplied database, just go to "Services" / "Speed cameras" and tap "Disable alerts"

Once you are using just the PGPSW database, you use "Manage POIs" / "Warn when near POI" to set up the audio alerts.

Do you know about the VOICE alerts from here? If you use those, when you do the set up for each camera type, you still select "sound effect" but the sound file gets selected automatically, so you don't need to choose it from a list.

I'm afraid I cannot think of any way in which you could ever get an audio alert on a demo but not while actually driving.

I appreciate your help, Andy. Can it be that the sound works in demo but doesn't work in real time because I haven't selected a destination? (I just thought about that after reading your help)

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes! How could I forget that you might not be following a route? Embarassed

When you do the camera warning set-up, if you have ticked the box for each camera type that says "Warn only when on route", then you'll only get a warning when you are following a calculated route (and obviously the demo always is!)

It's a 'swings and roundabouts' situation whether you decide to tick that option or not.

With it ticked, you always need to have a route set, but with it unticked, you get a lot more false alarms for cameras on nearby roads rather than the one you are on or on the other carriageway of dual carriageways (although you get quite a few of those anyway!).

I always have it ticked, because I got into the habit early on, of always setting a route even when I know where I'm going.
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Ah yes! How could I forget that you might not be following a route? Embarassed

When you do the camera warning set-up, if you have ticked the box for each camera type that says "Warn only when on route", then you'll only get a warning when you are following a calculated route (and obviously the demo always is!)

It's a 'swings and roundabouts' situation whether you decide to tick that option or not.

With it ticked, you always need to have a route set, but with it unticked, you get a lot more false alarms for cameras on nearby roads rather than the one you are on or on the other carriageway of dual carriageways (although you get quite a few of those anyway!).

I always have it ticked, because I got into the habit early on, of always setting a route even when I know where I'm going.

Took my device out today on a route and it worked a charm. I am glad I've turned off the TomTom's speed database - I was recieving two alerts. Thank you for helping me clear all that up, Andy, much appreciated Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: