Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go710 to TT. XXL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go710 to TT. XXL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Go710 to TT. XXL Reply with quote

I have a Go 710 version 7.903. Map version V660.1219. which is excellent but I require a larger screen, I have the menu as I like it, and I have installed the alternative S.C.D.B. and the silent voice file (audible warning for S.C.) but the maps are out of date and to replace the SD card cost £80.00

I can purchase a TT.XXL with Western Europe for £116 at Halfords but my question is can I install the above on a XXL, I travel in Europe a lot and require UK. IR. & Western Europe maps.

I trust you can help.

BinB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to everything.

The XXL is an excellent "traditional" model so you can access the file system and easily add stuff like voices and third-part POI files etc.yourself.

Having said that, you can now do most things on the new models too, but there are still limitations that you don't have with an older one like the XXL.

My only gripe about it is the mount, which I find a bit flimsy and fiddly.
BinB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Go 710 to XXL. Reply with quote

Thanks for your speedy reply Andy, so I can down load you’re SCDB & the silent voice & change the menu system, very good news, now about the mount is it secure or do they fall off.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount is pretty secure, mine doesn't fall off, it's just that it attaches to the TomTom with a plastic ring that clips around the loudspeaker "bulge" on the back. I've always found that to be a bit naff.

I just prefer the definite "click" as you mount or release one of the Go models like the x40 or x50 ranges, or the magnetic grip of the Go1000/1005.
BinB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Go 710 to XXL. Reply with quote

Thank you for you help & info Andy, how did we manage with out the forums!

I called in to Halfords yesterday to have a play and as you say the mounting is a bit naff, I also noticed that one has to press hard on the screen to make things happen; the GO 710 is much more responsive why?

I also rather liked the Start 25 EU with a card slot (is that where the maps are stored) but with the same fixing, any issues with this model.

Thanks once again.

BinB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Start 20 and 25 are rather nice... FAR better than the original Start and Start2. In fact, they are much more like the VIA models.
There's a review of them in this forum:
TomTom Start 20 series - too good for first-time buyers?

But remember that, like all the new models, they are using the "NAV3" system (the ones that use "MyTomTom") so there's no way to get into the file system to make your own backups or move stuff around.

You can still add your own POIs, recorded voices, map colour schemes, car cursors etc. though.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But remember that, like all the new models, they are using the "NAV3" system (the ones that use "MyTomTom") so there's no way to get into the file system to make your own backups or move stuff around.
I'm quite surprised that no one seems to have developed a hack to get onto the FS. Or have they?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I'm quite surprised that no one seems to have developed a hack to get onto the FS. Or have they?

I haven't seen anything that works as yet although I have rather given up on anything that uses this newer file handling system, too restrictive as you have no control over what version is installed to the device.

Look back over the years and how many so called "updates" have broken devices:

Stammering voices
No Live services
RDS-TMC that doesn't work
Auto On/ Off
Buddies Gone
Bluetooth file Tx Gone
HD Traffic charger lead Gone (Holland only as it never made it to the UK)
Poor audio output volume balance

These are just a few that spring to mind there will be plenty of others, most (if not all) of the above I can overcome by using a different Navcore but not on the Nav3 products so I don't use or trust them - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have rather given up on anything that uses this newer file handling system, too restrictive as you have no control over what version is installed to the device.

For most users there's no difference with NAV2 models and Home now. Both Home and MyTomTom have tickboxes to accept or reject a software update. And both Home and MyTT are currently "greying out" the option so it's forced upon you

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: