Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new navcore 9.400 for x20/x30/x40/x50 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new navcore 9.400 for x20/x30/x40/x50 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new navcore 9.400 for x20/x30/x40/x50 devices Reply with quote

ianbarnett wrote:
This has appeared on the UK TomTom support site today

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15956/kw/x40%20live%209.4%20upgrade/sno/1

"Error 1008 on some GO 540/740/940 in the UK

Some GO 540/740/940 devices in the UK get Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating to Software 9.400.

We apologise for the inconvenience and are currently working on a fix for this issue.

To keep up-to-date with the latest news about this new service, subscribe to this page by clicking the Notify me link at the end of the page. We'll send you a mail when more information is available."

What a cock up, isn't this exactly what happened when they released 9.054? Then they released fix 9.058 that took forever for hd traffic to start.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - slight case of deja vu

Perhaps they were hoping all the owners of 'older' devices had given up on HD Traffic ever working
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
TomTom support page at last,
Some GO 540/740/940 devices in the UK get Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating to Software 9.400.
We apologise for the inconvenience and are currently working on a fix for this issue.

To keep up-to-date with the latest news about this new service, subscribe to this page by clicking the Notify me link at the end of the page. We'll send you a mail when more information is available.

Just found that I have this fault as well -- would restoring -- as I did a backup prior to installing 9.400 on both the 740 and the 750

Just conected my 750L and now wants to down load a new map Europe 885.4008
any comments
Please

Last edited by Fibre on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swash wrote:

It would seem that whilst driving on a stretch of road monitored by average speed cameras, the speed reading now shown on the device is your average speed since passing the first camera and not your current speed.

Yes new feature and new bug Shocked (potentially dangerous for your wallet if you rely on it).
In fact if, whilst travelling in a average speed camera monitored road, for some reason you lose your GPS signal (e.g. in tunnels) the average is still calculated considering the speed as = 0, so completely altering the resulting average calculation, that is therefore grossly underestimated.

This error in logic (it should simply suspend the average calculation until the GPS signal is recovered) is a big problem in areas with tunnels (frequent in Continental Europe and they are often monitored by average speed cameras) or even in urban canyons in city centre.

PS of course it works only with Tomtom speed cameras. But considering the bug I highlighted and the unreliability of the cameras positions, maybe it's better to forget entirely Tomtom offering Evil or Very Mad
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at a mate's TomTom which has a UK & ROI map version 885 on it. I noticed a new file in the map folder called "postal_GBR.ttd". This file is identical (except for it's name and location) to the latest GB postcode file.

It appears that TomTom are now distributing new postcode files with the maps but using a new name and location for the file.

[speculation]Perhaps this is one reason why most machines got a software upgrade just before the new map came out, this would be needed to make use of the new file. Perhaps this is TomTom's method of distributing new postcode files to later machines that use the new Home3 interface. [/speculation]

Does anyone know of a new postcode which is in the latest postcode file but wasn't in the previous version?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Paul! Clap
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reported 1008 problem over the weekend and got a reply at 07:00 this morning which confirms 'lost' subscriptions will be compensated. I just hope it's not too long. At least I've got my iPhone app as a backup.

Quote:

I understand that you are unable to use the Live Services on your device as you are getting the error message 1008 and you require it to get solved as early as possible.

Please be assured that we will try our best to assist you.

I have checked your account "---------" and found that LIVE Services UK + abroad - 12 months is available on your account.

I would like to inform you that this issue is under investigation and we are diligently working hard to resolve this issue.

Once, this is resolved, we will compensate the lost amount of LIVE Services.

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone with the new navcore 9.400 and a new map version 885 willing to delete the zip folder from their tomtom and check if they can still navigate to a full postcode? This would prove if the zip folder is now redundant. I can't try it myself as I don't have a TomTom which supports the latest software.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me 5 minutes & I'll give it a go

(edit)

After renaming zip I no longer have full postcode search, just the first section.

Rename again back to zip & full postcode search returns
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that would work.....

I couldn't see TT bothering to change the existing functionality of v8/9 software.
They have enough trouble getting new stuff to work, without breaking the old stuff even more than they already have!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for trying.

It's going to be more difficult to find out if they are using the new file on the latest devices where we don't have access to the file system. We really need to find a postcode which has been added in the version 855 file to see if it appears on the latest devices. I've been looking but the recent ones that I know about (E20 2ST for the Olympic park, TD9 1AD, some begining with GL17 1 and LL68 8) don't appear in the 855 postcode file. Sad
Johnld
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the dreaded 1008 problem on my 940 Live and the only way round the problem as to use the old Operating System.

However I then got a 1001 Error reading which indicated the SIM card had failed.

Although my unit was out of warranty Tom Tom replaced the SIM FOC
Since then I have been able to accept the latest updates without the 1008 problem recurring

I did post in the other forum and had a message to say that the consensus was that IF a new SIM had been fitted the 1008 problem had been fixed.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
They have enough trouble getting new stuff to work, without breaking the old stuff even more than they already have!
You should be a certified cynicist not a certified genesis Very Happy
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone call from Tom-Tom support -after leaving my request for call back - regarding the SIM Card error message.

Basically they have found the fault and know what is wrong -

From what I can gather it is a fault on some of the SIM cards that were shipped to the UK
- that is why it is only affecting UK devices and only those with *40 devices.
They have worked around it and have found the answer by Friday night. They then wrote the patch to fix it.

Now they are Beta testing it - in house - and it will be released by the end of this week.
All those who have registered will get an e-mail telling them what to do.
But basically it will come up on Tom-Tom Home as a download to the current Application.

They seem to be genuinely concerned and full of apologies etc.
Compensation is being looked at for the loss of the Live services.

So we can only wait now till the end of the week and see what happens

Maurice
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the x40 Live Services fault had been around for much longer than Navcore 9.400?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: