Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new navcore 9.400 for x20/x30/x40/x50 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new navcore 9.400 for x20/x30/x40/x50 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have just found an interesting bug in version 9.400.

Selecting the Shortcut Menu only works intermittently - more often than not it just gives me the screen to correct the volume rather than the options I have selected.

Perhaps others could check this out before I report it to TomTom?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am usually fortunate enough to avoid all the bugs that hit others but I have acquired a strange quirk with this update.

When I first turn my 520 on it always goes straight to the "Select A Voice" page in preferences. I have to select a voice and then disable it (I prefer not to have spoken navigation).

This happens if the TT is shut down with the voice enabled or disabled. It also makes no difference if I have tirned the device off or just let it run flat.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated from 9.061 to 9.400 on 19 Feb 2012.

My first impressions were not good, however after a bit of use I don't mind it too much - TomTom could have made things a lot worse! Wink

Observations

1. transparency has gone from on screen POI icons. So if you use GerryC's excellent Speed Camera Icons that make use of the transparency feature then you get read instead. What 8.3 gave, 9.400 took away!

2. Maximum speed (tick option) in status bar options gives the max speed limit in a red circle that hovers halfway on the status bar and the map window. Personally I'd prefer the Max Speed to be displayed as a number with the words "Max Speed" after it instead as an imitation speed limit sign. Unfortunately TomTom's known speed limit are sometimes incorrect but the use of the "imitation speed limit sign" makes the max speed more authorative and could have consequences if the max speed is displayed greater than the actual speed limit.

3. If you unselect the Maximum speed (option) for the status bar, the heading is shown. Not all people will use the heading information but as a PGPSW verifier I like to use it.

4. Status bar options, the number of these have been reduced. This is not a bad thing as it does simplify the options as there are now a number of default display that cannot be unselected as the option to do so has been removed.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

1. transparency has gone from on screen POI icons. So if you use GerryC's excellent Speed Camera Icons that make use of the transparency feature then you get read instead. What 8.3 gave, 9.400 took away!
Regards,

TomTom do seem to mess with things just for the sake of it, someone more cynical may suggest that it's a deliberate ploy to make the use of 3rd party POI add-ons more problematic Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Sneakily, they replace the red with the same grey as used on the menu pages so it LOOKS like it still works until you see one on the map.

But far worse than that...
I've found that 22x22 pixel icons are getting squashed to fit into a 22x22 box that has a 2 pixel wide black border and a 1 pixel gap inside that.
This means a user's lovingly-crafted icons are being squashed down to 18x18 and this causes any simple text or image inside to become unreadable.

Also...
It can't cope with non-square icons any more, so for example the redlight icon gets stretched to fit into the square.

However... on a brighter note, 24x24 and 25x25 pixel icons can still be used and THEY get shown on the map unchanged.

Privateer wrote:
2. Maximum speed (tick option) in status bar options gives the max speed limit in a red circle that hovers halfway on the status bar and the map window.

I don't like those either. And if you (foolishly) use TomTom's own camera database, there is barely any difference on the display between the normal road-speed and the camera speed icon (it gets VERY slightly larger).

Privateer wrote:

4. Status bar options, the number of these have been reduced. This is not a bad thing as it does simplify the options as there are now a number of default display that cannot be unselected as the option to do so has been removed.

I think that's OK. A lot of people saw the options screen and thought the choices had been reduced, but as you say, it's just that they have now got several items on screen all the time, so the OPTIONAL items list is shorter but all the items can still be shown.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Privateer wrote:

I think that's OK. A lot of people saw the options screen and thought the choices had been reduced, but as you say, it's just that they have now got several items on screen all the time, so the OPTIONAL items list is shorter but all the items can still be shown.

The choices have been reduced. I don't want the time remaining, but can no longer choose not to have it, while I do want the heading, but can no longer have it without, apparently, losing the maximum speed.

TomTom have again decided to restrict our options because they know better than we do what information we need to see on our device. Twisted Evil
Samsung Galaxy S21
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they come to these conclusions, I've certainly never seen a survey except for the:

Q. 'How helpful do you find TomTom'

A. a. Helpful b. Very Helpful c. Fall over themselves to be helpful
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

The choices have been reduced. I don't want the time remaining, but can no longer choose not to have it

Yes, true enough.

I was thinking more of those who said things were missing.

Personally I hate the new speed limit roundels, but I can't get rid of those and have the speed limit shown in the old way.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I have a XL Live IQ and upgraded to 9.400 and although the dark blue traffic bar showed that I had live traffic on closer inspection the busy sign was spinning and was trying to connect to the server. I only noticed this yesterday on a delivery to Brentford leaving Hitchin at 16.10. This route should have shown lots of traffic both ways but didn't. All today the spinner was there on the dark blue strip and no connection. I have down graded to an earlier navcore and I now have traffic. At the moment Iam doing a restore hoping that home has given me the last backup ? Home doesn't say what date the backup was.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try any of the other LIVE Services, and did you see the Error 1008 message?

If not, you are probably not one of the affected users and you were just seeing another HD Traffic outage for a different reason.

Incidentally, why on Earth are you HOPING that HOME has made a decent backup, and that it's a recent one?

Home can only make one backup and it THROWS AWAY your last good one even if the newer one is corrupt.

Please ditch Home and use Windows Explorer to make your backups instead (as we always recommend on this forum) and keep at least two. Instructions are in the FAQs topic.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Did you try any of the other LIVE Services, and did you see the Error 1008 message?

If not, you are probably not one of the affected users and you were just seeing another HD Traffic outage for a different reason.

Incidentally, why on Earth are you HOPING that HOME has made a decent backup, and that it's a recent one?

Home can only make one backup and it THROWS AWAY your last good one even if the newer one is corrupt.

Please ditch Home and use Windows Explorer to make your backups instead (as we always recommend on this forum) and keep at least two. Instructions are in the FAQs topic.

Hi Andy, It was the navcore because I didn't have Traffic with 9.400 and down grading to 9.058 all was up and running again as soon as I changed to it. So what Iam saying is it's 9.400 thats the problem whatever the device thats why I posted here.
I do use Windows Explorer to backup as well as Home but I was just getting traffic working thats why I used Home for a first go.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrelevant
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Stampy72 wrote:
So, NOBODY has yet sussed out how to stop the bottom square flashing RED, when you go over the speed limit...?

Bar of course, staying within the limit..

Like I said before, it's just annoying for us night-time drivers to have flashing red things on the screen!!!

I seem to recall that when they first introduced the over-speed warning, the general complaint was that it wasn't visible enough! All they did at that point was change to red numbers on the normal blue background, which wasn't easy to read. So they make it clearer, and people still complain...

Yes, it's always turned red, just not such a large patch.

Here's a comparison:

The things I do for this place.... deliberately speeding just to provide some evidence!
(and those school kids were right in the way too! Rolling Eyes )
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Andy - I'm talking much older than v9.058. I'm thinking back to my old TT300, though unfortunately I can't remember which software version it was.

See I you can dig pictures of this out of your archive Wink
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I upgrades to 9.400 with my 540, as most people then found live services then didn't work so went back to 9.058.

Today I received this email from tomtom, I hope they are not taking the mick tellin me to upgrade to a version that doesn't work!

Quote:
There's a new software update available, designed to improve your driving experience. And it's free from TomTom HOME.

Upgrade your TomTom with the following great features:

Now also get fixed speed camera alerts over the air

Get both fixed and mobile speed camera alerts over the air with no need to connect to TomTom HOME. That's yet another reason to extend your subscription. Only £47.50 a year. Read more
Enhanced Speed Cameras service

Know your average speed in speed check zones, get clearer warnings, and report/delete cameras with a single tap.
Better privacy information

We've clarified how we use your data to deliver our services.

Simply connect to TomTom Home – within minutes your device will be packed with these fantastic new features, performance improvements and bug fixes.*

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: