Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
On a side note, my other device (a GO950 which uses Tomtom Home) now gets Postcode updates when a new map is released, so this should be the same for other Tomtom Home users?!? I know I got 2 new postcode files when the v900 map was downloaded to my device (UK and NL postcode files).

Yes, the same for my 720. Two separate downloads offered - the new map and the postcodes.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Out of interest, Richard, have you updated to a v900 map on a NAV2 device using Home yet?

If you have, did you get the new postcodes files at the same time? (presumably arriving in the zip folder). Or do you still have to download them yourself from the obscure URL on the TT servers?
Map v900 downloaded to GO550 Live and Carminat. Both also offered new postcodes. Strangely, the 550 downloaded two (UK & Netherlands), but Carminat only downloaded one. I'm pretty sure that when I entered WC1A 1DT into them both, one gave me New Oxford Street, the other Earnshaw Street (sorry, can't repeat it just now - Carminat doesn't operate in Home on computer, so any messing has to be done sitting out in the van on the drive like a geek).

The 550 retained my mapsettings.cfg, the Carminat, as usual, did not - Grrrr!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For interest...

Two days ago I navigated to postcode WR10 2DL.
Carminat, App 8.842, Map UK&ROI v900.4611 took me to Cobham Road - the correct address of the firm.
GO550 Live, App 9.465, Map UK&ROI v900.4602 took me to Goodwood Road.

Google Maps sticks the little flag right on top of the firm I was visiting, Tarplett Generators.

So why are they different? Both new map downloads gave me new postcode files.

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I have no idea why it should be two different locations, but I have some info for you

GO LIVE 1005 using latest v900.4635 map/postcode takes me to Cobham Road

iOS6 maps on my iPhone takes me to the same place

Although the difference is minimal between the two end locations as this screenshot shows

You can see the postcode is right inbetween the two streets, is it a shared postcode by any chance? We have plenty of them here in Newcastle!

Steven

iPhone 12
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Mail Address Finder returns 15 addresses for the postcode WR10 2DL, all of them in Cobham Road, but my 720 takes me to Goodwood Road, where the postcode is WR10 2JL! Evil or Very Mad
Samsung Galaxy S21

Last edited by Anita on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Am I correct in understanding that TomTom and iPhone now use TomTom mapping?

Google maps puts the location absolutely spot on Tarplett Generators...

The main point for me is I'm given an address for pickup, Tarplett Generators, Units 2-4 Cobham Road. Carminat gives me Cobham Road, so I feel some confidence that it'll get me there. GO550 Live gives me Goodwood Road, so I have to wonder whether that's right - I'm talking "Navigate to" stages here, where I have to accept the road offered by GO550 - only AFTER it has calculated the route do I get the opportunity to browse the route to see where I'm going. A couple of weeks ago, on the same day and within five minutes of each other, I downloaded and installed map v900 for both devices, together with the postcode file. Am I being too picky expecting them both to guide me to the same spot on the planet?

I have to say that nowadays I have some smaller degree of confidence in my TomTom devices than I had after I first started using them in 2005.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm talking "Navigate to" stages here, where I have to accept the road offered by GO550 - only AFTER it has calculated the route do I get the opportunity to browse the route to see where I'm going.

Really? On the 720, after entering the postcode I have to select the road, and the only road shown with that postcode is Goodwood Road. (Scrolling down several screens I eventually come to WR10 2JL, which is also shown, correctly, as Goodwood Road!)

Although that doesn't help with finding Cobham Road at least you know it's not going to take you there and, as long as you have it, you can use "Navigate to street and house number" instead.

I'm not making excuses for TT, just wondering if the screens have changed.
Samsung Galaxy S21
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

There are a lot of small streets in Jesmond, NE2 where they seem to share a postcode between 2 or 3 streets so invariably I get the Unnamed road when using the actual postcode.

If I get this, I always go back a screen and use Navigate to - Address rather than Navigate to - Postcode. Then I stick in the first part of the postcode (NE2) then enter the street name manually. Works every time.

Would this not work in this case for you?

As for the TT/Apple hookup, I have no idea what the arrangement is. I speculate that there is a licencing deal for Apple to use Tomtom map data as well as lots of other map data providers (other than google of course) which is how the errors came in (Duncaster/Doncaster).

Just like on iOS6 maps you can see Tomtom HD traffic, but the iPhone maps app wont use this when routing.

iPhone 12
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
If I get this, I always go back a screen and use Navigate to - Address rather than Navigate to - Postcode. Then I stick in the first part of the postcode (NE2) then enter the street name manually. Works every time. Would this not work in this case for you?
I think that Dennis was banging on about WTF they are different rather than actually getting there. One was right, the other was wrong despite aparently using the same data. I think that you expect too much of your TomToms Dennis Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get to "see" the contents of the Carminat SD card? (or does that mean you loose all your Favourites and settings again as soon as you take it out?)

If you can....
Can you compare the contents of the two zip folders?
Any difference in size? Any "ver" files to tell you the version numbers?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it does mean losing favourites and settings!! (I have learned not to have favourites, only Favourite POIs, but all the other settings are a pain because the default settings are TT's idea of what I should have - lane images, 2D view, no Home address, no recent destinations, maybe even MapShare, God forbid!!). However, I've done it and the postcode files are identical sizes/versions, although I've only got GB on Carminat SD card, but both GB and NL on GO550.

Yes Anita, I too have to accept the road, which is what I mean that I can't browse to have a look at where I'm going until after accepting that road (Goodwood Road) - then I can browse route, find recent destination and zoom in to look at the roads nearby.

Falkirk, the idea to use postcode is so much quicker. On Carminat, operated only by remote controller, one move at a time, it can take ages to get a city and then street name. When I first had a remote control with my 720 I used to think it was great to be accurate (not tapping the letter or number next to it), but for Carminat EVERYTHING has to be done one click at a time and it really does go on for ages with some cities/towns/villages and street names.

When I need to adjust destination, what I do is browse map, find recent destination, then use the control to move my cursor to the correct location, hit Enter, then Navigate to (it). It doesn't usually matter very much though. But M8TJT is right, I was grumping about the same data giving different results - and No, I don't think I expect too much from them - data for two devices released, downloaded and installed on the same day I think I have a right to expect them to be the same and give the same results. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old thing. Confused

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll ask on your behalf...
No promises I'll get an answer, but worth a try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: