Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which way next?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which way next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Which way next? Reply with quote

After years of being a Tomtom user I'm about to jump ship.
My old Go720 has never let me down & I quite like the UI.
Traffic updates via my phone (GPRS) meant no wires up the windscreen.
But now I have an Android handset (Desire S) so why not have just one device for navigation & phone.
First problem is no TT for Android, a topic that has been almost talked to death and no hope yet on the horizon.

I need a navigation app that I can import custom POI's and gives accurate traffic reports.

I've tried Sygic (week free trial) but didn't really like the setup & although it supports custom POI's I couldn't get them to work, don't see why I have to use file converters and create folders to get them to work. Don't know how good the traffic updates work?

I've now got Navigon (month's free trial) which has traffic but doesn't support custom POI's.
This is not the best, postcode search doesn't support house numbers and the traffic information is vague.
The augmented view is a bit of a novelty and no good on my setup as the position of my phone hasn't got line of sight of the road ahead.

My other option is Copilot Live Premium, but this doesn't have any trial period. I do like the look of it & it supports OV2 custom POI's.

Would anybody that has had first hand exposure of Copilot care to give an honest opinion as to how good the traffic reports are and it's overall usability.

Unless someone from Tomtom is reading this and can give me another option?
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure about anyone else but I have a desire S too and frequently find it looses the GPS signal even when out in the open. ( Middle of a park in Brussels Monday evening whilst trying to walk to a hotel :-( )
Wednesday I drove back from London with both my TT Rider and Android Navigon on the tomtom never lost signal, the phone did several times. I dont have traffic on the tomtom so I tend to have the phone on too, but it is not reliable enough to find your way all the time.
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any problems with GPS reception, although it did drop signal strength when I put it in a cheap gel case to protect it.
So when I'm navigating I use it without the case.
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: