Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

I have just had to install TT3 on a new PDA. I seem to remember that when I used the postcodes in my other machine the program would run even though it was not connected to the PDA.
When I now try it on the new machine it will not work until I go 'live' Is this correct or am I imagining that it was OK before?
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your question, what program are you talking about?

If you are referring to UKPostCode then it should work without a live GPS feed if that's what you mean?
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I had made it clear in the second sentence. Yes I was meaning the postcode program. So if it will not work until I am live then does anyone know the reason? I have installed it three times to make sure it is OK but to no avail.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well UKPostCode is not the only PostCode solution for TomTom so no it wasn't clear or I wouldn't have asked!

When you say it won't work until you are 'live' do you mean it won't work until you have a satellite fix? You can't use 'Navigate To' until you have a GPS Fix as naturally it doesn't know where you are so can't calculate a route but you can select 'Show On Map', this will work without requiring a satellite fix first.
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

can you help? I cant even get UKPostcode installed, see this for details http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8952

any help would be greatly appreciated/

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the sid part of your link - following a link with a sid element included can cause all sorts of session related weirdness. You just trim that part off.

I've replied to your original post.

David
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll try and make it as simple as I can. When the PDA is not connected to the receiver the Postcode program will not work. When I type in a Postcode the error message is: "failed to show on map" However when I am connected to the receiver it is fine.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's definitely not normal. I frequently use mine in the house and when I click 2Show on map" it starts up TomTom (if it's not already running) and shows the location. But of course "Navigate to" won't work without a current satellite fix
Robin
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris wrote:
Darren,

can you help? I cant even get UKPostcode installed, see this for details http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8952

any help would be greatly appreciated/

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green

I've responded in that thread.
rainady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a problem for me also but not if I was in map view, then UKPostcode worked fine. If I was in any other section of TomTom, I had that problem.

I did not need to be connected to a GPS Reciever.

Hope that helps a little

Andy
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while - busy...

A few people have reported this problem, mostly with TTN3. This was a part of the program that I had a lot of trouble getting to work, as the TomTom API I use simply doesn't always work. The work-round I put in, which worked with TTN2, was to always show on map before trying to navigate.

Somewhere in TTN (v2 at least) there is an option to tell it to use the last know GPS co-ordinate as a basis for navigating when the GPS receiver is off-line. I've got that option enabled on my TTN2 setup, but I'll be damned if I can find where it was set! I seem to recall that this was important to make it work as well.

Hope this helps.

- Niels
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Niels, at least you understood the problem. It's funny that you should mention TT2 as I also use that on another PDA and the postcode works fine on that unit. You may well ask why I do not always use TT2, well the answer is simple - the maps on TT2 are way out of date and although TT3 maps have errors, they are a lot better as they have been up dated. Should you manage to resolve the problem please keep us posted.
I drive a rapid response vehicle and use the TT in my ambulance work as a means of finding contacts when answering 999 calls and often the postcode is the only real info that we can rely on. In a lot of cases people only have house names and not numbers which can prove a problem. At least with postcodes I can arrive within 15 houses of the call.
Thanks for your info.
Dave
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torchy wrote:
I drive a rapid response vehicle and use the TT in my ambulance work as a means of finding contacts when answering 999 calls and often the postcode is the only real info that we can rely on. In a lot of cases people only have house names and not numbers which can prove a problem. At least with postcodes I can arrive within 15 houses of the call.
Thanks for your info.
Dave

I too drive a Rapid Response ambulance, I go all over the country, generally on work to do with transplants. Just installed UKPostCode and its going to be a big help.

Another little tip is if you visit the same hospitals but infrequently, store the address in the pocket pc's contact program. I actually do this on my Destop pc in Microsoft Outlook, then sync with contact program via activsynch.

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: