Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 Routing Oddity
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 Routing Oddity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: TT3 Routing Oddity Reply with quote

I was planning a route from Edinburgh (Murrayfield Rd) to Rickmansworth (Valley Rd). TT3 told me the Quickest route was via the A1 which would take 7.04hrs. Now I know the A1 is not the greatest road in the world so I got TT3 to do the same route but added a drive by (using the Itinerary) at some random point on the M6. I expected TT to tell me that was slower, but no! New route is 6hrs 42. So the quickest route according to TT isn't!

Anyone seen this before?
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen quite a few oddities. Perhaps you should draw this example to the attention of the TomTom support team to see what they say.

Richard
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have dropped them an email. We'll see what they say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think you'll find it depends on your Route Planning setting in properties.

If set to Strict it is more likily to find the quickiest route as it analyses more roads and thus looks at less direct routes.

The downside of this is how long it takes to calculate the route.
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have before & still do if i'm in hastings & want to go to heathfield it told me to go up the a 21 all the way to tunbridge wells & all the way back down to heatfhield which is probably double the distance
AndyWilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Hastings (well.. St Leonards actually) to Heathfield and it took me exactly the way I'd expect - through Battle, Right off the North Trade Road through Cade Street etc to Heathfield..

..tried from Hastings Seafront and it gave me the same route..

..but just remembered I've got an avoid set on the A21 south of John's Cross so it doesn't always try to route me onto the A21 via a non-existant road or narrow lanes...
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this elsewhere but it may be of interest to you who are experiencing problems with the maps:
Ok so I would like you all to try this. In TT3 in the 'from' box type in GLOUCESTER. You will note that there is not a GLOUCESTER but a GLOUCESTERSHIRE. So select this. Then for the road type in HURRICANE ROAD and then click OK. Set the destination to GLOUCESTERSHIRE - SOUTHBROOK ROAD.
Now run the demonstration. Notice anything strange? Yes that's right you are directed around 2 roundabouts the wrong way!!!
In addition you are told that after a few hundred yard that 'you have reached you destination' and indeed this is repeated several times even though you are still 3 miles away.
Even more bazaar is that on the return journey you are instructed to take the second exit at a roundabout that has not existed for many years, but on the outward journey the roundabout is replaced by a cross road!!!
I, and several friends have tested the software and found countless mistakes.
We still have a road that was removed in 1962 and although Gloucester City Centre has been pedestrianised for at least 10 years I was still directed through it.
Finally I tried to travel from Hempsted to St.Oswald's road and when I was driving along that road it told me that I needed to turn right which took me away from my intended route.
It seems that yet again the maps are still a long way from being correct and that the bugs in the software that wear originally in TT2 have re-appeared.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Just one final point, I happen to sell these units and am often told of the problems that exist with the system. It is slow, it often locks up and does not do the job it was intended to do properly. These are not my words but those of our customers.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes with tt3 doing an alternative route will bring a better route up when planning long distance routes also playing around with the speed setting can get it to do a more logical route as mine set for hgv speed limits ie
motorway 56
daul carrigway 50
single carrige way 40
etc
it usually gives me a better route using these settings though somtimes throws a complete wobbler and gives me stupid route but i usually catch it
so playround with the speed settings

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Route re-calculation and alternatives Reply with quote

I have noticed that TT3 is not as good as TT2 at dealing with alternative routes. When using alternative routes or avoid specific roads it often gives timings that are quicker than the original route!!! If set to original route after taking an alternative you get all sorts of strange routing. I have got used to doing a new "navigate to" after any route setting is changed.

My overall impression is that the algorithms used in TT2 are better (different) from those used in TT3. No easy answers, just my observations. Has anyone else noted the same effects?

Despite this I would not be without TT and now use it on all journeys of any distance.

FYI I have the routing calculation set to "strict".

Regards.............Richard
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT replied to my email.... after some time. They told me to upgrade to 3.03 to see if this fixed it. Have not been able to try this as my other half has borrowed TT for a trip to the USA.

Pete
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this for a routing oddity......set off from home to go on a route I know well and whilst the map showed the correct route, the voice instructions were taking me somewhere completely different! Soft reset and all's well....but most odd!
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spent a few days on the Isle of Wight and you would not believe the problems that I had. I took 2 PDA's both loaded with TT3 in case the problems were hardware rather that software based. One evening I spent many a happy(?) hour trying to get the program to get me from Newport to Cowes. My wife almost threw them both (and me) out of the car window.
The next day I returned home and apart from one hiccough all went well. The software seems to have a mind of its own. I also found that when I have one route planned and the journey completed, and I try to input another, I have to remove the old route instructions before I can set up another. And if that is not enough I had an error message stating that Tomtom had committed and illegal program error!!!
I think I'll try to reload the software and try again.
Dave
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the main problem on the IOW that you could never get to your destination ? Reason why I ask is this was an initial problem in TTN2 maps but was fixed.
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave. There were a number of problems which made me wonder if the program was at fault. For example I would program a route and as soon as I set off I would be told 'you have reached your destination' Often the PDA's would just lock up and then there was a series of messages that I have never ever seen. I mentioned one in my last entry and there was another that told me that the maps were not loaded. I had this on both PDA's using different cards.
I can tell you that whenever I use TT3 I have to do a soft reset almost every time. I know of others who have the same problem with having to do this. It is very annoying and could cause me delays when I answer a 999 call, but I just won't allow this to happen. I just turn it off and get control to direct me.
I would much prefer to use TT2 with the new maps if that would work. At least that was more stable.
Dave
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torchy

I understand your flustration - I went to visit my son who lives in the IOW and almost always TTN3 locked up on one route or another. I am fortunate that I know the Island well but with the narrow roads and few laybys I can appreciate the problems if you have to rely on TTN3.

Nigelj

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: