Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directional POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directional POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Directional POI's Reply with quote

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5793&highlight=directional

Post #8 onwards

I think I understand how he's achieved this but obviously not something that could be achieved here as he's using offsets.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed... Will look more into that when I have a bit more time.

However, it seems as though it needs a route to be set for it to work?
Quote:
You must just remember this: If your route is not going through that "hidden" 30 meter radius, you won't get a alarm, no matter what the actual proximity is set for.
which could spoil things...

Also, as I don't have MapSource it may be difficult to generate these duplicate points.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell he's setting the POI's just off the road by a number of metres.

If you set your proximity accordingly then you will only receive a warning in one direction as the other direction will be out of range.

Clever but a lot of work and would not cater for variable proximities.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong

Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FViljoen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Directionals Reply with quote

A waypoint has got a 30 meter hidden radius.
Use Mapsource or Basecamp and create a waypoint and set the proximity to 30 meters first.
Move that circle-line over a road and you will get a warning.
Move that circle-line that it don't touch the road-line, no warning.
Same with devided roads. Move circle-line over one road but not touching the other road, you will get directional warning.
Once you have put this circle at the desired spot, you change the proximity value to what ever you like ie. 200 m, 13500 m.
You are wrong - you can have as many proximity distances as you like.

The route that I mentioned in the other forum, is not a route that you create, but the route that you will be travelling when selecting "Where To" on your unit. I changed the wording over there so it's not confusing.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Groundhog day... Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
From what I can tell he's setting the POI's just off the road by a number of metres.

Using TourGuide Alerts (ie 'circular' as opposed to ordinary 'Along Road' alerts), in conjunction with dual-carriageway/divided highways, this is a workable scheme. (But beware snap-to-road effects, GPS accuracy, different data in different map versions, different firmware implementations between units and versions etc etc).

Discussed HERE (4 years ago Laughing ), with some further development HERE.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
FViljoen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Directionals Reply with quote

Sorry to say, but I cant find any references in the 2 links thats got anything to do with the 30 meter activation radius I am talking about.

Anybody wants to send me coordinates of a devided road (preferably measuring more than 20m apart in Mapsource/Basecamp) close to them that they can actually go drive on to test my theory, feel free to post or PM and I will set up 2 directional poi coordinates for you.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Directionals Reply with quote

FViljoen wrote:
Sorry to say, but I cant find any references in the 2 links thats got anything to do with the 30 meter activation radius I am talking about.

Don't worry - there wasn't a prize anyway Razz
(It was mentioned in passing in the 2nd and 7th posts and expanded in the 8th post, of the first link). I admit I didn't see it as a mechanism for implementing Directional Pois - and the stuff documented in the 2nd link is different, in that it uses TourGuide alerts.

Interestingly I measured the effect at 75' (approx 22m), rather than 30m. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that this varies between units. (Unfortunately, the associated image of my test setup got lost at some point in the last 3 years)

and he wrote:

Anybody wants to send me coordinates of a divided road (preferably measuring more than 20m apart in Mapsource/Basecamp) ...

I don't doubt for a minute that this method will work - but only for 'divided roads' (or Dual Carriageways, as they're called here in the UK). Of course, if the individual roadways are divided by a large enough gap, then simply placing the Alert on the road works as well. For example, normal, Along Road Alerts placed here are directional by default.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
FViljoen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Directionals Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that this varies between units.

Fully agree. My findings is based on Garmin devices and PoiLoader.
It may even be PoiLoader that adds the 30m and not the device itself.
However, if a poi is within 30m from any other roadlines on the mapset, it will trigger on that road as well. ( Does not matter if "along the road" or prox. circle is used) Wink
Create a point in Mapsource/Basecamp and enter the proximity as 32m as a positioning guide first. Move that circle over road 1 but not touching road 2. Now change the proximity to what it should be ie. 350m, 980m....28km, load with PoiLoader and testdrive.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get my hands on a breakdown of the GPI file.

If Cyclops can do it .................
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done:

gpxx:BearingList
gpxx:Bearing BiDir ="false"
gpxx:Angle45gpxx:Angle
gpxx:Width15gpxx:Width

Where the Angle is in degrees followed by a tolerance angle

But POILoader will ignore it Sad
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: um... Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
It can be done:

So it can't be done... Confused

The .xml input files for GPI_Creator (part of the Content Toolkit), had references to 'Alert Circles' ... but they didn't do anything either.

To my mind, that's a more likely implementation method - ie make it so you have to hit a sequence of alerts, in a particular order ... which would just be a simple expansion of the 'normal' scheme. (Rather than trying to compute the angle you're approaching something).

But there again, I may have read rather more into the phrase "Alert Circle" than is actually there (2+2=22 Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
It can be done:

gpxx:Bearing BiDir ="false"
gpxx:Angle45gpxx:Angle
gpxx:Width15gpxx:Width

Where the Angle is in degrees followed by a tolerance angle

Where's this from? I always used http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/ for the GPX schema... or do Garmin have their own/different version?!

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit of code with the gpxx bits is minus the xml tags because the forum blocks them so it doesn't look quite right.

What I can't find is the XML schema to match this.

From what I can glean Cyclops must use this strategy where they set the angle of the approach and then then tolerance to allow for mistakes giving a sort of "V" result I suppose.

What is then required is a bespoke GPI creator where I come to a grinding halt.

You'll need to translate it but I found it here:

http://www.path.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1054&start=190
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Where's this from? I always used http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/ for the GPX schema... or do Garmin have their own/different version?!

Garmin use their own extensions to the GPX specification (which is perfectly valid thing to do) ... however, they don't always manage to define the location of such extensions Sad (which is not a valid thing to do - a GPX file that can't be validated against its schema is not a valid GPX file).

They were recently taken to task on the official Yahoo! GPX support group over this, but didn't respond.

Kremmen wrote:
From what I can glean Cyclops must use this strategy where they set the angle of the approach and then then tolerance to allow for mistakes giving a sort of "V" result I suppose.

Well, the tool used by Cyclops and the language it uses to define alerts are anybody's guess - they might be totally bespoke solutions that never saw the light of day in any customer offerings. I'm sure the "Alert Circle" stuff I saw in GPI_Creator was only the beginnings of a scheme that Garmin were going to implement - until they realised they were about to kill off a revenue stream?!?

Of course, the .GPI specification does allow for directional alerts (because Cyclops files are GPI files and units action them with no additional software). What we don't know is the algorithm that is employed. I still think my "trigger two or more conventional alerts in a particular order" sheme would be the more obvious solution.
[Eg alerts "X" and "Y" separated by (say) 25m on a road. Hit X then Y gives alert ... Y with no X first gives no alert]

If you were to use approach angles (and stick with the measuring 'Along Road' concept'), then setting them up could be a nightmare. You'd have to measure along the road, to the point where the alert should sound and calculate the angle of travel there - twists and turns in the road mean that this could be radically different to your ultimate approach angle to the Alert. For example, think of a speed camera positioned at one side of a 90º bend, with an alert required at the other. I think the resulting software wouldn't be out of place in a heat -seeking missile Shocked

(Not forgetting either, that roads are not defined as two dimensional objects in the map; they're just a set of pin-point dots, connected by a series of imaginery lines. Equally, the data coming out of the GPS receiver is something of an indistinct 'cloud', which the unit cleans up by 'snapping to the nearest road' ).

Everything I've just said, is of course, pure conjecture with absolutely no hard evidence to back it up Very Happy

»

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: