Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wanting specific feature in multi stop gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanting specific feature in multi stop gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hemiceni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Wanting specific feature in multi stop gps Reply with quote

Hi gps gurus

I could really use a help with some specific knowledge here as review never really answer these sorts of questions.

Currently I use a garmin nuvi 1490 for delivering orders all over town. The multi stop routing is pretty good but there are a couple of annoyances that have sent me looking for something better.

There 3 annoyances with the nuvi.

1.the gps has sometimes has difficulty knowing when a stop has been completed. Often after completing a stop and driving off, it will try to take me back there. The only way to get it to go to the next stop is to edit the route and delete the stop out manually which causes it to recalculate the whole route. Very cumbersome and annoying. (This usually occurs when I deviate from the route right after the stop, which happens quite often because it will ask me to do a u turn which is impractical or similar.)

2. Usually if you take a wrong turn the gps will reroute. However sometimes if you miss a turn that you'd have go down and later return the same way, the gps will just quietly delete the stop from the route. Can be disasterous if you don't notice.

3. What makes point 2 even harder to pick up is the fact that the unit does not display the next stop (or distance to next stop) when driving.

What would be so much better and fix all these issues, would be the ability to touch a button once a stop has been made to mark as done. Then the gps would only ever try to take me tothe right place.
The nuvi creates one big route with all stops. Another alternative would be something that will only only route from one stop to the next as I come to each stop?
Any ideas? Thanks in advance :-D
Ivan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the latest software?

I've never known my nuvi delete a via point from a route unless it was next on the list, even if I bypass some earlier ones they stay there until I visit them in order.

Yes, often it may not realise you've reached a via point, but often that's caused by inaccurate placing of the point. I always zoom way in when selecting my via points to make sure I am going through them.

With the latest software you can click on the flag that shows in the top left and that will give you distance and time to the next point. See these screen shots:

welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before just buying a 1490 today, I used a Garmin i3, and loaded a custom poi file created from http://findthebestroute.com/RouteFinder.html

Then I would just select the next post code in that file.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the problems you have experienced though. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: