Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VIA 120 LIVE - Changing Country Maps????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VIA 120 LIVE - Changing Country Maps????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pudders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: VIA 120 LIVE - Changing Country Maps???? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just purchased one of these and noticed that there currently is no way of changing different country maps!! Are TOMTOM going to introduce this ever??

I have used my 910 a couple of times in the states and don't want to have to get rid of it if there is no way of changing maps!!

Thanks - Clayton
Pudders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** UPDATE ***

My mistake .... you can change the maps!!!

Sadly though, there are no USA maps available on the drop menus which is odd as last time I purchased one for my 910 it was split into different regions of the USA to download!!

Any news on this??
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the TomTom Via Live was only ever sold in Regional (e.g. UK) or European models - I'm not sure why you would expect the US maps to be installed on this. It wasn't sold with US maps installed.
Pudders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
But the TomTom Via Live was only ever sold in Regional (e.g. UK) or European models - I'm not sure why you would expect the US maps to be installed on this. It wasn't sold with US maps installed.

That's not my question!!

I'm asking if there is a way to add or change maps over the UK Maps for when you travel abroad. On further investigation... you couldn't when the device was released but now you can!

Interstingly though... the USA map will only fit on the 4gig 120Live (Europe) as the maps size is 2.5 gig. The 120 LIVE (UK & ROI) has only 2gig internal memory and will not support the USA map.... even though there is a micro SD slot which could easily be downloaded onto and slotted in! The TOMTOM rep said that the Micor SD feature is not "currently" in use for maps! Why???

On my old 910, you could purchase different regions of the USA like "Southern", ideal for Florida travelers! Now, it seems, this is only available as the whole of North America!

Very frustrating!!!
Pudders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... NEW UPATE..

Not much point to this post as I've answered all my own questions..Laughing Out Loud.. but helpful for anyone else who is experiencing the same!

Just spoke to another rep on the phone (last rep was via live chat) and he informed me that the Micro SD slot on the VIA range will be activated for maps by the end of the year ... so my 2.5gig USA map will be able to downloaded and slotted in!! Wooohooo!! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks - Clayton
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pudders wrote:

Just spoke to another rep on the phone (last rep was via live chat) and he informed me that the Micro SD slot on the VIA range will be activated for maps by the end of the year

It was promised by the summer of 2011, so believe it when you see it.
AFAIK, it's still being tested.

But you're lucky the slot is there at all... for some time now if you bought any "regional" TT model, there was absolutely no way to update it to a whole continent map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pudders wrote:
he informed me that the Micro SD slot on the VIA range will be activated for maps by the end of the year ... so my 2.5gig USA map will be able to downloaded and slotted in!! Wooohooo!! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks - Clayton

I wonder how you'll slot in your USA map? Is it not locked to your 910?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means the new one he's trying to buy, Dennis. Smile

Pudders wrote:

Interstingly though... the USA map will only fit on the 4gig 120Live (Europe) as the maps size is 2.5 gig.

On my old 910, you could purchase different regions of the USA like "Southern", ideal for Florida travelers! Now, it seems, this is only available as the whole of North America!

I believe the real reason why maps are getting larger all the time is that TomTom didn't want to spend the time and money compressing the raw TeleAtlas data to fit on smaller devices any more.

That would also explain why the regional maps like "Southern USA" aren't being sold any more - they can't afford to make them!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I believe the real reason why maps are getting larger all the time is that TomTom didn't want to spend the time and money compressing the raw TeleAtlas data to fit on smaller devices any more.
Do you not think that an extra fiver (or less!) on the initial purchase price for a couple more gigs of internal memory would not be noticed by the buyers? I for one would not know whether I'm being charged that little extra for more memory. If all the TT devices came with say 4 or 8 gig, they could be used to buy extra maps = extra revenue to TT. Let's face it, they are currently doing the regular emails to us all (and I get 8 of the things!) offering more maps for Christmas - How many will they sell if the devices can't cope with them? They can't sell me a Europe map, too big and too much hassle. Bit of a no-brainer, put in and charge for a fiver's worth of memory and sell an extra 50 quid map or three? My GO550 has enough internal memory for the UK/ROI map with enough space to buy and install a map of Greece (cost me the usual 40 quid!). Pudders is obviously willing to buy a card, he'd surely have been happier with extra memory to do the job in the first place and he'd not have the faintest idea that he'd been charged an extra 10 quid for it in the box? Given TT's marketing expertise, they could easily hype new devices with a selling point that you can start with just UK/ROI, then buy Europe, North America, wherever, as and when you either want them or can afford them.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pudders wrote:
Just spoke to another rep on the phone (last rep was via live chat) and he informed me that the Micro SD slot on the VIA range will be activated for maps by the end of the year

Did the rep mention which year, with so many failed promises relating to the "My TomTom" interface and what it can't do its hardly surprising some of us are rather cynical when they claim "by the years end" - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the latest promise for restoration of HD Traffic is December (this December - that's within the next 29 days) - if it does come to pass, it will have been broken for more than a year!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: