Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com at the TomTom Traffic Launch event
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com at the TomTom Traffic Launch event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld.com at the TomTom Traffic Launch event Reply with quote

PocketGPSWorld.com at the TomTom Traffic launchLast week TomTom held a launch for the latest TomTom Traffic plugin for TomTom 3. A number of GPS Portal sites were invited, and we had a day of presentations in the TomTom offices in Amsterdam followed by a "booze cruise" around the famous canals.

The picure to the left shows the representatives from the GPS sites:
Marcel Timmermans of www.poihandler.com, Tobias Bischof of www.PocketNavigation.de, Guillaume Perrotin of www.GPSPassion.com,
Markus Schwarzkopf of www.Navigating.de, and of course, Mike Barrett of www.PocketGPSWorld.com. You will have to guess who is who though...

The TomTom product management team gave us a presentation of the Plugin, where it is now and where it is going in the near future.

Of the countries taking part in the trial the UK had the most users, nearly double all of the other countries put together. The most suprising demographic was that only 1% of users were female 99% were male. (This is obviously Bo Peep).

There were concerns about the amount of data transferred, and the main advice is to select smaller map regions that you normally travel in to restrict the download size. Another concern was the roaming charges, not too much of a problem for UK users, but for those who cross country borders within Europe for business the roaming charges do become an issue.

The general future for traffic is to have complete coverage of Europe and USA in 2005 though no mention was made as to Jan or Dec. And to add additional value added services onto the datafeed. This will also be rolled out onto the new Common Navigation Engine platform as released for the Palm and Go systems, although Go does not have Bluetooth so cannot connect to the mobile network at the moment.

Then we were appraised of the intracacies involved in actually supporting a product like this where you need to interface to an almots unlimited combination of PDAs, BT phones and mobile networks. Quite a challenge.

After that we had a brief tour of the TomTom offices and were shown amongst other areas the support group. TomTom have a call centre of 25 staff speaking 6 different languages.

We finished the day with the famous Booze Cruise, a chance for us to meet other members of the TomTom team, including the Harold Goddijn the CEO and Peter-Frans Pauwels the CTO. This was very valuable for us as it gave us all a chance to get to know each other and build relationships in an informal manner.

Hopefully this meeting has enabled us at PocketGPSWorld.com to get closer links within TomTom, and just as importantly to meet up with some of the guys doing the same as us in Europe.

Last edited by MikeB on Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Howard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: All a days work! Reply with quote

"We finished the day with the famous Booze Cruise, a chance for us to meet other members of the TomTom team, including the Harold Goddijn the CEO and Peter-Frans Pauwels the CTO. This was very valuable for us as it gave us all a chance to get to know each other and build relationships in an informal manner"

I bet you all came off the boat in no fit state to get a GPS fix back to the hotel!

Howard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the next product we're likely to see from the office of TomTom is TomTom Canal Navigator, safely navigate yourself around the canals of Amsterdam, coming Fall 2004! Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: All a days work! Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
I bet you all came off the boat in no fit state to get a GPS fix back to the hotel!

If the truth be told I went on after the cruise to have dinner with some of the TomTom staff, a few beers, and a bottle of wine later and I really didnt need GPS (or so I thought) and yes I did get "geographically embarased". Well I wasnt that far out I was wandering down a street a block away from my hotel.

Great thing about Amsterdam is that you cannot go too far without finding a canal. Only trouble is they all look the same... Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: