Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie question, help very much appreciated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie question, help very much appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: newbie question, help very much appreciated Reply with quote

I have posted this elsewhere but not sure if it was the right place, please don't be mad because i posted it in two places!
this might seem a bit thick but....
i've got iphone 4s with tomtom 1.9, just purchased the app a week or so back, speed cameras not too good.
thought the PGPSworld database would be better.
downloaded diskaid, the database, wasnt sure which database to download so dowloaded TomTomOV2 'consolidated by type ogg female with chime'and installed with diskaid and then put the mapsettings.cfg file in the appropriate folder.
had a look and couldnt see if anything had changed / been installed apart from i had to reset home and a few favourites.
hmmm, thought i'd download the other database I saw 'uk speed zoned complete' with female and chime, then put the mapsettings.cfg file where it should go.
still cant see anything and cant seem to be able to test it etc or change the settings, cant see anything on my iphone to say its there.
any advice? is it there and activated, do i just need to go past a few speed cameras to make sure its activated?
any way to check to see it working?
hmmm just done a route demo wher i know there are cameras, the tomtom cameras are showing but the PGPS are not, no icons, no audio :-(
any help would be gratefully received
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to This Thread and read the instructions as to what's required, firstly you need to download and unzip the icon pack thats on the linked page, this contains:

Icons to work with V1,9
OGG Vorbis audio files
mapsettings.cfg file pre-configured ready for use

You then have to download the UK Speed Zoned camera database in ov2 format, only keep the ov2 files though as the icons won't work, you use the ones from the previous zip download on the page I linked to above.

Make sure the TomTom app isn't running in the back ground when you load the mapsettings.cfg file otherwise it the revised warning settings won't take effect - Mike
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike I thought I'd followed it to the letter. i've had another go. i rebooted my iphone, made sure the tomtom app wasnt loaded up.
I downloaded the icon and ogg pack from the page you suggested 'pgpsw-iphone-tt-1.7-iphone4' and copied everything EXCEPT the mapsettings.cfg file into the camera database folder i downloaded 'pgpsw-speed-cams-fqkBk' which is the latest version from the PGPS site.
I then uploaded all the files in that folder to 'iphone-apps-ukireland'
then i uploaded the mapsettings.cfg file to 'iphone-apps-ukireland-documents-unitedkingdomandroi and placed that file in there as per instruction.
it should be working now, right?
when i run in demo mode its still picking up the tomtom speddcameras but not the PGPS cameras, no icons and no oggs?
scratching my head here...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you have put the ogg, ov2 and png files in to the wrong folder, they need to go in :

UK_Ireland/ UK_Ireland.app/ United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

The mapsettings.cfg files goes in to the folder:

UK_Ireland/ Documents/ United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

Hope this helps - Mike
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike i just gotta say 'Doh!'
Cheers, seems to be working fine now and already i can see its picking up cameras that the tomtom database was missing...
in that folder i put the ov2 files i guess i can delete the tomtom speed cameras? are they easy to spot to delete?
how often is the database updated? diskaid demo runs out in 2 weeks so i guess i'd need to pay for the software if i want to keep the speed camera database up to date?
also what do you reckon to cameralert?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you spotted what was wrong and resolved the issue.

You can indeed delete the useless TomTom camera files, they are in the same folder you put the ov2, png and ogg files named as follows:

Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ver

CamerAlert is an excellent app that is updated from within the app and negates the need to use DiskAid, you can even update the database whilst out on the road using the iPhones data connection removing the need for the computer connection to the internet. The only downside for me is it runs in the background when using a Nav app at the same time so whilst you get the audio alerts for the cameras but don't see anything on screen if TomTom is running in the foreground.

To be honest unless you are happy messing about using DiskAid each week to update the ov2 files the CamerAlert option is much easier in the longer term to manage updates - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To be honest unless you are happy messing about using DiskAid each week to update the ov2 files the CamerAlert option is much easier in the longer term to manage updates - Mike
Another advantage of using CamerAlert is that the cams are directional. i.e. it won't warn you of cams on 'the other side of the road'
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thats great, i've been using tomtom with the PGPS database today out and about and its been really quite accurate, no problems there. I've even been considering getting rid of my road angel which cost me a fortune, i have 2.5 years of a 3 year contract on it due to me picking up 9 points and having an occupation that necessitates a car....
ebay may well be an option...
all of a sudden my dash is looking less cluttered 3 boxes down to maybe 1!
used the cameralert too, tell me if i'm wrong on this, great for updating database easily and worth running when i don't need to use tomtom but still need to keep an eye on cameras?
i think you are aluding to using cameralert at the same time as tomtom but wouldnt it be giving the same alerts as the tomtom as the tomtom camera database uses the same data?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulski1106 wrote:
using tomtom with the PGPS database today out and about and its been really quite accurate
Only quite Shocked

paulski1106 wrote:
i think you are aluding to using cameralert at the same time as tomtom but wouldnt it be giving the same alerts as the tomtom as the tomtom camera database uses the same data?
The TomTom database does not use the same data as the PGPSW database.
The PGPSW database 'running' on the TT would give the same alerts as CamerAlert, but the alerts froom CA are directional, so do have an advantage over PGPSW database running on the TT app. And either are far superior to the TT offering.
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe sorry, what i meant to say was the alerts were ABSOLUTELY spot on. I didnt come across any errors, unlike the very mediocre tomtom offering.
the fact that i'm considering kicking my road angel into touch after 1 day of using the PGPS data is testament to that... even the road angel isnt perfect...
i wish i'd have done a bit of research before spending the hard earned on the road angel. buy in haste and repent in leisure, a bit like getting married Laughing Out Loud
anyway the PGPS annual database fee so far is looking to me to have been money well spent all told.
one well chuffed (and hopefully points free, eventually) driver.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
the alerts froom CA are directional, so do have an advantage over PGPSW database running on the TT app.

One small disadvantage I can see for any unit which gives directional alerts is that you can never be quite sure if a camera you see on the other side of the road is "in" the database or not.

I sometimes wonder if that's the reason we get so many "new camera" submissions from CamerAlert users, which are already there in the database.

If you have a device which has directional warnings, then you really need to check the camera submission map before making a report of a new camera.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
One small disadvantage I can see for any unit which gives directional alerts is that you can never be quite sure if a camera you see on the other side of the road is "in" the database or not.
[snip] If you have a device which has directional warnings, then you really need to check the camera submission map before making a report of a new camera.
If you have CamerAlert, you don't realy get the opportunity to do that I guess. But if you have iGO, it displays all cams on the map, but only alerts directionally, so you know the cam is there, but it's 'on the other side'. That is of course as long as we have got our directions right.

Andy_P wrote:
I sometimes wonder if that's the reason we get so many "new camera" submissions from CamerAlert users, which are already there in the database
Could be I suppose, but the reported heading of the 'new cam' from direction of travel would be the reciprocal of the 'already there' cam, but would possibly still need checking to see if the cam had been reversed or made two way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: