Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VW MFD2 Unit Part number 1KO 035 198 B in Northern Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VW MFD2 Unit Part number 1KO 035 198 B in Northern Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailorbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: VW MFD2 Unit Part number 1KO 035 198 B in Northern Ireland Reply with quote

Good morning,

Recently registered since retrofitting the above into my Wife's MkV Golf. I installed it together with the Armrest Multichanger and although everything is working fine, I have a couple of queries I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

I'm using DVD V4 that come with the unit and it doesn't have anywhere near enough streets/road etc in my area of Northern Ireland. Even some of the decent sized towns, it only has 2-3 roads which makes me thinks something's amiss. the unit itself is running fine, picking up a position and displaying the compass etc etc but when I try to enter a destination in the next town for example, I can't select many of the main roads. Is my DVD too old? The roads aren't exactly old, been there for 40-50 years, maybe more so not a new estate.

Also, I can't enter BT** *** postcodes. When I select BT4 and try to enter say 7 for example, (as in BT47) is doesn't give me the option, like the area doesn't exist in the system. VERY annoying since I installed it to replace the very good Tomtom she was using but with her job, she visits a lot of different places and needs to remove the TomTom everytime for fear of returning the a broken window and no Sat Nav.

Any suggestions? Would the new V8 DVD resolve it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a date on the disk that lets you know when the mapping data was created, if its around four or more years old then the mapping data will have been rather sparse for NI, even TomTom products back then didn't have good coverage - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current maps for VW products are v8, just released this month.

I am not sure on the MFD2 if v8 maps are available as this unit went out of production about 5 years ago and was replaced with the touch screen RNS-510.

Postcode support on these was very limited, IIRC they didn't do 7 digit postcode, you could only enter the first part and then had to choose the street.
Sailorbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the above replies, Very Happy

Regarding the update DVD, reading some other posts and sales pitches on the DVD from 'other' sources, suggest that the new V8 DVD will work for the MFD2 including checking the part number in the Thread title at not mad moon money, so might bite the bullet and try it.

With the postcode entry, would a Software update resolve this? I think I tested some Aberdeen postcodes and could enter 7 Digits, I THINK... can't check now as offshore hence this is the first chance I'm getting to post about it.

Thanks again folks, Smile
Sailorbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm that the DVD with part number 3C0 051 859 F will work on my MFD2 DVD Unit.

Its the latest V8 DVD.

TIA
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the MFD2, but the RNS-510 in my 2008 MK V Golf required both a firmware update and V7 maps to handle 7 character postcodes properly. You might get some more information here http://vwnavi.com/forum.php
Sailorbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tips, I think I'll take the plunge and get the V8, I can always punt it on again for similar money if it doesn't sort my mapping issue.

I've been through that Forum also, and thinking I might need a Firmware update too.

Cheers again,
Barry
Sailorbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be asking a silly question here, but does a New DVD (V8) update the Firmware/Sortware on an MFD2 (DVD)?

Or should I search on here for instructions on how to do it manually?
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailorbaz wrote:
I might be asking a silly question here, but does a New DVD (V8) update the Firmware/Sortware on an MFD2 (DVD)?

Or should I search on here for instructions on how to do it manually?

Don't know if you have sorted this yet but the answer to your question is no, it won't.
Firmware and map upgrades are done separately and it take quite a while to do so don't panic if nothing appears to be happening. Just make sure your battery is OK as it shouldn't be done with the engine running.
You will need firmware 2.76 to get the 7 digit postcodes. There is a later one but some people have had problems with it apparently.
The maps on V8 are actually dated Q4 2010.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: