Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could someone measure the 1490 suction cup please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could someone measure the 1490 suction cup please
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Could someone measure the 1490 suction cup please Reply with quote

As above.

As I fit my Garmin on to the dashboard rather then the windscreen I am restricted to suction cups that have too large a diameter.

So could some kind soul with a 1490 measure the diameter of the suction pad, please.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most (all?) Garmin suction pads are the same size as the bracket is the same, it's the holder that varies depending on the model. So if you already have one that fits so will the 1490.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I am replacing a Nuvi 760.

It has quite a different looking mount, but I presume that the ball, post and suction pad are the same from what you say.

Tony
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I've owned 4 Garmins and the arm with the suction mount is always the same, it's the holder that varies depending on the model.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again.

I have ordered my 1490 this morning.

My 760 goes to eBay unless anyone around here jumps in quickly.

Kindest regards,

Tony
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, just a couple of things to be aware of:

Street names are much reduced compared to your 760, think Garmin did this to 'unclutter' the screen.

Check the 'avoidance settings' when you get it. They're slightly weird which can affect the routes the nuvi chooses, at least they were for me.

Any problems post here and I'll try to help, I've had my 1490 for about a year now and reckon it's a great little satnav.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Any problems post here and I'll try to help, I've had my 1490 for about a year now and reckon it's a great little satnav.

I am considering a 1490 to replace my 660. Does the 1490 "learn" your speeds like the 660 has? I've had the 660 for about 4 years - after a relatively short time it seemed to have worked out that our motorhome drives at, say, 55mph on motorways and, traffic delays apart, I can reckon that the arrival time will not be more than a minute or two out per hour. My M10 still has a long way to go before it gets anywhere near that level of accuracy. Has your 1490 become accurate yet?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does and yes it has Smile

As an example, on a recent 4 hour drive to Cornwall the ETA given by my 1490 was accurate to about 10 minutes when we arrived, which I reckon is pretty good. Clearly you need to factor in stops for breaks and any traffic delays but the actual calculation of 'driving time' I find amazingly accurate.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: But what about city driving? Reply with quote

My experience with the 760 that you'd need to be a fire engine to match its cross London estimates.

On the open road, with a car that can match the speed limits, the timings were fine. But anyone who thinks you can get from Apex Corner to SW6 in half an hour is in another world !!

Tony
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 1490 if you regularly run that route the 1490 will 'learn' that the speed is slower. If it's a route it hasn't learnt then just like looking at a route on a map, it's up to you to figure it Wink
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good to know.

Maybe the problem I had with the 760 is that 'my' route out of London (north) from where we live is a series of rabbit runs never suggested by the satnav. So it never got a chance to re-time its more obvious, but less effective, route.

Likewise from our home southwards we never take the satnav suggestion for the first three miles as it takes up a local high street that is bus bound.

Coming into London from the north I simply add thirty minutes to what the gurus of Garmin have suggested - likewise going out.

Tony
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
With the 1490 if you regularly run that route the 1490 will 'learn' that the speed is slower. If it's a route it hasn't learnt then just like looking at a route on a map, it's up to you to figure it Wink

I am surprised by your comment that it "learns" timings on particular routes. My feeling is that the 660 adjusts its speed estimates for the different types of road and then uses these adjusted speeds for all journeys. Where it consistently fails is in lacking any allowance for traffic lights. This might explain Tony's experience crossing London. I agree that these are journeys that are always timed optimistically - unless nearly all the lights are green. You lose 2 to 3 minutes per red light!
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit OT to suction cups but I think that query is solved so I'll add to the timing conundrum.

Google Maps is just as bad.

I live near Putney Bridge. They time the journey to Hammersmith Broadway as 8 minutes - distance two miles all on Fulham Palace Road.

I'd defy a police car with the sirens blowing to do it in eight minutes during daytime traffic

Interestingly they show a bus as taking seventeen minutes. Due the bus lanes on Fulham Palace Road a bus is not much slower than a car. TFL timetables show about seventeen minutes for the journey so it must be a fairly accurate timing unless those timetables are always wrong.

I think 8 minutes for 2 miles is 16 mph. Probably possible but, as the previous poster said, no allowance for traffic lights.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the actual diameter of the suction pad is on a 1490 Twisted Evil Very Happy.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5 cms Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: