Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go live 1000 as replacement for Go510?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go live 1000 as replacement for Go510?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go live 1000 as replacement for Go510? Reply with quote

Some time ago i was thinking of upgrading my old tt510 to the tt go live 1000 and was put off by all the problems and issues software etc.

I still have my trusty 510 which i have had no problems with, but it is old hat now and maps are out of date

Thinking that by now all the issues on the go live 1000 would have been sorted i'd have another look at it.

Could you advice me

1. Are all problems resolved by TT

2. would you recommend this unit

3. any other recomendations

Regards Roy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the ability to back up and re-load the back up to/ from your own computer I couldn't recommend the device, this applies to all the newer TomTom units running Navcore 10 for the same reason. If for some reason the device fails you have no way to try and recover it yourself, what happens if/ when this occurs past the 12 month warranty point.........

In addition to the above the HD Traffic range is reduced (it was never as high as the earlier devices in the first place), the lack of a memory card slot is a major hinderance especially if/ when the internal memory fails and still no true Itinerary planning support (I don't accept 4 way points as an Itinerary mode as the old system (pre Navcore 10) supported up to 48 way points) - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other solid recommendations. The Go 1000/5 is still the best sat nav unit out there

Not perfect of course, just best
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom go live 1000 Reply with quote

rsinbad wrote:
... but it is old hat now and maps are out of date
I am still using a 910 and the Maps are as up-to-date as any in the TT range.

You may not have TTS, but with the SD Card facility you can have a map backed up on to another card. All ready if the first card becomes corrupted, and no need to connect to a PC.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for your feedback, the lack of backup and sd card does worry me. I assume all the poi /voices/ maps issue have been sorted.

Some people think they are great and other don't its now been some time since the go 1000 came on the market and an unacceptable time to sort the issues out.

A lot of conflicting views about this unit, its no doubt has some great features, but lacks in other areas.

Rather like TT's which TT?

Regards Roy
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom go live 1000 Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
rsinbad wrote:
... but it is old hat now and maps are out of date
I am still using a 910 and the Maps are as up-to-date as any in the TT range.

You may not have TTS, but with the SD Card facility you can have a map backed up on to another card. All ready if the first card becomes corrupted, and no need to connect to a PC.

True and I have several SD cards for my 510 ,but didn't have the TTS so I would need to pay for the map update.

Lookin at the current cost of the go 1000 have noticed there is a big drop in price and can be bought for as much as £90 less than its launch.

Regards Roy
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Without the ability to back up and re-load the back up to/ from your own computer I couldn't recommend the device,

Why would you want to back anything up on a GO1000?

It's not like older devices where you can accidentally delete files

The GO1000 is fairly idiot proof with no need for backups.
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
No other solid recommendations. The Go 1000/5 is still the best sat nav unit out there

Not perfect of course, just best

I would agree it has some good features, not being 'perfect' is the part that worries me. Sad
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it was perfect, no other sat nav would exist!

It could make a sound when you press every letter on the onscreen keyboard, it could zoom out a little bit more at roundabouts, and it could have more lane guidance on the maps that it has

But importantly its a solid navigator with easily the best routing engine of any system, best traffic and quickest route calculations

Plus it is perfectly reliable - multiple journeys 6 days a week for the past year prove it to me

If I was buying today I would buy again, only a 1005 (5" screen)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom go live 1000 Reply with quote

rsinbad wrote:

Lookin at the current cost of the go 1000 have noticed there is a big drop in price and can be bought for as much as £90 less than its launch.

Regards Roy

Christmas is coming - wonder if theres a newer version being made ready and they want to get rid of older stock

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom go live 1000 Reply with quote

keithmillar wrote:
rsinbad wrote:

Regards Roy

Christmas is coming - wonder if theres a newer version being made ready and they want to get rid of older stock

You could be right Keith, lets hope its a finshed unit this time Smile
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Without the ability to back up and re-load the back up to/ from your own computer I couldn't recommend the device,

Why would you want to back anything up on a GO1000?

It's not like older devices where you can accidentally delete files

The GO1000 is fairly idiot proof with no need for backups.

Memory can still become corrupted and without any way to backup / restore a GO1000 it would probably mean returning it to TomTom.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
[The GO 1000 is] a solid navigator with easily the best routing engine of any system, best traffic and quickest route calculations
You mean to tell me your go1000 Traffic is better than my go550? They are the same, except mine has a range of 120 km and yours has only 80. And they both calculate the same route. Sure, the 1000 is faster at routing, but how many seconds are we talking about? Of course, those few seconds matter immensely to the boy racers, but what do they do with the seconds they gain?

The "New improved, as seen on TV 1000" is NOT a noticeable improvement over the previous range 550/750/950. It DOES have several lesser capabilities AND after a year since it was released, it still doesn't do everything it says on the tin. TomTom are going backwards.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best traffic if you only travel 50 miles.

You can buy a refurbed 550 for £130 with LMG and 1 year LIVE subscription - a lot better device and better traffic coverage than any of the Nav10 devices.

Shame the refurbed 540s are thin on the ground as that was even better.

Do you spot a pattern here?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The "New improved, as seen on TV 1000" is NOT a noticeable improvement over the previous range 550/750/950. It DOES have several lesser capabilities AND after a year since it was released, it still doesn't do everything it says on the tin. TomTom are going backwards.

& doubtless TomTom will drop support for the 1000 et al when the new models are released as they will have a completely new set of problems getting them working as they should!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: