Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What were TTN2's default speeds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What were TTN2's default speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: What were TTN2's default speeds Reply with quote

Could anyone who still has TTN2, or who has the info written down somewhere, please list the TTN2 default speeds (UK edition if that makes any difference).

I don't find that TTN3 is as accurate at predicting journey times as TTN2 was. TTN2 was almost creepy in its accuracy, for my driving anyway! So I'd like to try configuring TTN3 with the TTN2 speeds and see what happens.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you want miles

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles is brilliant. Many thanks - I'll give it a try.

Paul
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 on a motorway? Who drives like that?

I've got mine set to 170 ;)
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now I have come to enter the TTN2 figures into TTN3 I'm rather puzzled. lbendlin's figures are consistently lower than the defaults in TTN3 (e.g. 60 for motorway, as against TTN3's 65).

This puzzles me because the problem I have been having with TTN3 is that it overestimates journey times, whereas TTN2 tended to get them about right. This would seem to imply that TTN3 has lower default speeds in it that TTN2, not the other way round.

Paul
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin is in USA? maybe TomTom2 USA has different default speeds to the UK version due to different speed limits etc?

I also found TT2 very accurate with time of arrival etc, whereas TT3 seems to be a little out.
alevans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone who still has TTN2(UK) can post the default speeds.
JR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: TT2 default speeds Reply with quote

Hi

Speeds from the top

Hope this helps

Jim
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default speeds inTT3 are the same.

I too have noticed that the timings are not as accurate in TT3. I was touring in Switzerland last week and found that I regularly gained about 10 minutes in every hour's driving. I put it down to the somewhat better Swiss roads, few roadworks and less traffic but on a 200 mile journey in the UK today I again managed to "save" about 20 minutes.

With TT2 I used to feel that the default speeds were optimistic unless you were driving in the early hours of the morning so I tweaked them down by a few MPH. With TT3 I think I'll have to tweak them up.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Richard says, the default speeds in Navigator 3 GB are the same as in Navigator 2 GB.

However, the routing algorithm is different in quite a few respects (I'm sure many people will have noticed Navigator 3 choosing different routes for journeys to Navigator 2), and I suspect the difference in ETA figures is related to this.

David
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed some differences in routing which don't seem at all logical to me. For example, imagine a road system that looks like a capital "A". I drive a route, part of which starts at the bottom of the left hand leg of the "A" and finishes at the bottom of the right hand leg. TT2 used to direct me along the bar of the "A" (a distance of about 1 kilometre) which is a residential road, but TT3 directs me to the apex of the "A" and back down the right hand leg using two A roads which merge at the apex and which are no wider or better in any way from the residential road. This route is an extra 4 kilometres.

When the route is recalculated after I take the residential road the ETA updates and shows that I have gained several minutes.

My guess is that TT3 assumes I'll be travelling a lot faster along the A roads (which have a 30mph speed limit) than the residential road which also has a 30mph limit and assumes that the 4 kilometres extra will be quicker than taking the short cut.

I've come across quite a few of these illogical TT3 routes a few times. Sometimes I think it's a good job I l know where I'm going!

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: