Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fuel price info on LIVE services missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel price info on LIVE services missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Fuel price info on LIVE services missing Reply with quote

hi
only a minor issue as i don't use it often but although my XL LIVE W Europe shows my subscription for live services (including fuel price info) is valid until next august it will not show me the fuel price data, it just takes me to a blue screen saying that i can subscribe to this service via TomTom Home !!
my HD traffic and weather etc all work ok. does anybody know why i cannot see this data?

many thanks.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the fuel info has worked in the UK for some time. I've been a subscriber to Live Services since early 2011 and I've never seen it working in that time as far as I can recall.

I'm not sure when it did stop working, but no doubt one of the long time Tomtom users can give you a more precise date.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel prices is a weird one...

They SAID they were going to drop it for the UK ages ago.
(That's a typical TomTom response to complaints about it's accuracy... rather than use a better data supplier, they just scrapped it).

So it has never been available on the new NAV3 models such as the Go1000/1005 and any VIA's with Live.

However, it has kept on working on my older models such as the Go950 and XL LIVE upto now.

Now, today...

It's WORKING on my Go950
It's NOT working on my XL LIVE (I get the same message as you do)

I've no idea why that is, but I'll report it to TT.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has fuel prices ever worked? When I complained to TomTom that many of the garages listed by FP, within xx miles from me, were not actually there whilst others had comletely wrong prices they told me to visit them all and send details. When I suggested that it was the their job to ascertain that the database was correct they didn't bother answering
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has worked, as in the system works.

But the data accuracy has always been awful.

I did the same as you and complained about it, but when they asked me to provide details I rose to the bait and DID.

It was remarkably easy to provide about a dozen examples of petrol stations near me that didn't exist and often could NEVER have existed (they were in the middle of residential streets of houses etc.)
I went and photographed the ones nearest me and used Streetview to provide evidence for the others.

The most ridiculous thing was these "phantom stations" were apparently still providing up to date fuel price information every week, which kind of proved that whoever was selling the data to TomTom was simply LYING.

I think my contact at TomTom was rather shocked at the extent of the problem. Soon after that the new NAV3 models were launched and the UK Fuel Prices had been dropped, so maybe you can partially blame me for that (I suggested they switch to using PetrolPrices.com, who seem very accurate, but they just gave up and scrapped the whole thing instead).

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For giggles, here are a couple of the examples I gave them.

This one HAD been a petrol station once, but it had been demolished and turned into flats about 6 years previously. But SOMEONE was still apparently telling TomTom the price of unleaded and 4-star from there!

This next one was supposed to be an ASDA petrol station. They tend to be next to Asda supermarkets and quite large sites... the residents of this quiet street must have been cross.

Finally, this one on the North Circular was actually a van-hire place IIRC, but you'd also need to be very brave to visit it directly from the flyover!

They were perfectly happy to remove SPECIFIC places I could prove were wrong, but it took a LONG time and lots of arguing to persuade them that I'd given them enough examples to show they needed to look at the quality of the whole database they were using, both for locations and for the prices themselves, which were laughably inaccurate.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same in my original complaint & sent them loads of supporting evidence from streetview, but they weren't interested unless I went & investigated each one individually & then provided supporting evidence. I got the impression that it was more a case of not interested full stop.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 550 Live when I try to request the Fuel prices I get a blue screen message that reads "Fuel Prices Note: Pricing information for this fuel type is not available in this region".
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems that TT don't do petrol or diesel then Shocked
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked it on my 550 and not only is it working but it is showing the correct price; nearest to my home, Esso at £1:30 a litre; actual price yesterday when I refuelled was £1:29.9. that's
near enough to accurate for anyone!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said...

Quote:
Now, today...

It's WORKING on my Go950
It's NOT working on my XL LIVE

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: