Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic range reduced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic range reduced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Andy, I'm hanging onto my GO550, for the Live Google Search.

I shall hope that TT restore the HD Traffic and maybe even give me an extention to my subscription by a year. But I won't be holding my breath.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know what narks me about the TomTom Discussions thread? It's how a thread about UK HD Traffic range is taken over by a small number of vociferous US owners saying how good it is in the US, when HD Traffic was only introduced over there six months ago. One major contributor has almost 400 posts to his name when he has said he only got his first TomTom device six months ago.

Pretty good going n'est pas?

Or am I being a cynic when I recall that TomTom have the ability (and have used it) to alter posts there without it being recorded?

Or am I being a cynic in light of the above when I see that the US favourable posters in that thread somehow achieve more Kudos than the complainants? I wonder how many of you have Kudo-ed my posts, because I don't see any more than two stars. I Kudo Andy's posts every time I go there, but he never seems to achieve more than two stars. Rolling Eyes

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, what is your point? Seriously.

The US posters there have not only explained how HD traffic works fine in the US but also agree how irritating the limitation must be for UK users.

Are you implying they are false posts?

Really, some UK posters have turned that thread into nothing more than a venting thread over and over. It's tiresome.

And the biggest offenders are members here as well.

Why do the US posters get Kudos? Why not see how often they are of help to members there in the various forums and threads. Believe it or not, there are other issues with tomtoms and users than HD traffic.

Again, I really don't understand what you are implying........
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the update to Navcore 9.061 today, traffic is showing an incident 96 miles away Razz

Will it last, I wonder?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy wrote:
After the update to Navcore 9.061 today, traffic is showing an incident 96 miles away Razz

Will it last, I wonder?

I've just noted on the TT 550 Live thread that my 550 Live is already on 9.120 with no update offered, why are TT going backwards, but only for select units by the look of it?
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous Navcore for 750 Live was 9.058, so it is (supposedly) an incremental update.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Really, some UK posters have turned that thread into nothing more than a venting thread over and over. It's tiresome.

Well, David, I wrote what I wrote and it's up to you to make of it what you will - I don't feel any need to translate.

However, let me put the picture straight. This post by Mick-TT950 actually describes me to a T - long term faithful TT user, essential tool, three across my dashboard (I've got five, but I ran out of sockets!), professional driver. I've tried four competitor systems and in my opinion, none of them come anywhere near TomTom.

I got my first TomTom in 2005 and was amazed and immediately converted by the very first journey it guided me along. I am now at the stage where I have three TT devices onboard, 520T, 550 Live and Carminat built in with RDS-TMC. On very very rare occasions I do not use them, but generally, I go out the house with two stuffed in my shirt pockets and on getting into the van, clip them onto their stands and immediately set a route on all three. That is for EVERY trip except two miles into the local shops or 10 miles to son-in-law and 10 miles to sister-in-law. Having been driving professionally for the last 13 years, there are not many towns in UK that I couldn't drive to without maps if I had to. But I use my TomTom every trip - they are my lifeblood, as essential as my seatbelt and sandwich box.

18 months ago, having finally overcome my determined scepticism, I grudgingly agreed that HD Traffic was the best thing to come out of TomTom for some long time and was willingly recommending it to anybody who would listen. I was even paying attention to it myself and allowing it to re-route me occasionally!

Then ten months ago TomTom chopped it off at the knees. I'm not happy about that.

Previous experience with TomTom has demonstrated to many of us that TT don't pay attention to "feedback" - well, certainly nothing I can recall has ever been corrected by them as a result of it (some things, like the 1 minute delay, were eventually corrected, but I remain to be convinced it was customer feedback which persuaded it).

And so the idea of a determined protest was mooted - we had a go at the TT Traffic Manifesto topic - they cut us off. So then we had a thread in the TT Discussions Forum. After a short time, TT exercised their powers to lock posters out and amend posts without it being obvious. They did unlock it again quite quickly as soon as they saw the threat of a Facebook page which really was quite outside their control or influence. They locked it again and started a new thread for us with a far less uncomplimentary (to TomTom) title.

So at long last we achieved success, insofar as we got TomTom to acknowledge the problem and issue a statement that they would do something about it.

A year ago, we had a brilliant HD Traffic service and we PAID for it. Then TomTom, having taken our money, reduced the service to what is, for some of us, absolutely useless. That means they sold me something and didn't give it to me in exchange for my cash - they broke the contract. I'm not happy about that and neither are others of us.

But they have nevertheless continued to act as so many of us have come to expect - prevarication, slant and diversion. Personally I am convinced (and so are others) that the only way to get this fixed is by repeatedly hammering it at TomTom. No shilly shallying about other subjects, no digressions about what the cause might be, or how TT might handle it. No passing the time on something useful whilst we wait. Simple, simple, simple - keep repeating to TomTom IN PUBLIC and preferably on their own website that they reduced our paid for service, when are they going to give it back to us, when are they going to tell us how they are progressing. In your own words, a venting thread, over and over until it is put right.

The topics here, there and Facebook page are about UK HD Traffic. As far as I am aware, US HD Traffic does not work in the same way, so any interjections regarding US HD Traffic are diversions from the subject. Some of the diversions are both irrelevant and lengthy beyond reasonable explanation. They only serve to divert attention from the matter at hand.

I'm sorry if it's tiresome to you David - I hope you can bring yourself to stop following these threads and avoid the distress they cause you. At the same time, I hope like hell that they are being intensely distressing to TomTom, because past experience suggests that's the only way to get TomTom to pay attention. We are hoping to set a new record - get TomTom to listen to customer complaints for the first time ever!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
We are hoping to set a new record - get TomTom to listen to customer complaints for the first time ever!
They did already. Extended the range for a while, it broke, they reduced it again Shocked
DHN wrote:
some UK posters have turned that thread into nothing more than a venting thread over and over
And this one isn't then Shocked
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

The US posters there have not only explained how HD traffic works fine in the US but also agree how irritating the limitation must be for UK users.

Are you implying they are false posts?

Why do the US posters get Kudos? Why not see how often they are of help to members there in the various forums and threads. Believe it or not, there are other issues with tomtoms and users than HD traffic.

DHN

I agree - it has been turned into a venting thread. And quite rightly so. I have paid for a service and the service has been reduced etc......

I feel no need to repeat myself as it has been said many times already.

As it stands at the moment, HD Traffic is useless to me for long journeys as it cannot see as far as Birmimgham which is where all the traffic hold ups are at rush hour for me. Therefore I cannot make an educated choice of route, and neither can the TT.

You must admit though that some of the posts by the US fraternity are very far off topic, in fact I don't recall any post from them actually saying what range they do get!

But then again, they are more than likely Nav10 devices so can't see much further than the end of the street anyway.

I am glad TT eventually took notice and action, which is a first, but very disappointed that they cannot restore the range back to what it was when I first subscribed over 2 years ago.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Andy (and Dennis and anybody else ..... Laughing )

Let's put things into perspective...........

Yes, UK drivers have EVERY REASON to be completely RIPPED OFF. TomTom does know about it and HAS known about it from the very beginning.

But............

These is the SAME group of software developers who took well over ONE YEAR to figure out how to offer the (promised from the beginning) travel maps for Nav10.X units. And consider how many millions of $$ or pounds or Euros it has cost TT over that debacle!

The truth is that TT marketers are calling the shots and development struggles to deliver. HD Travel in the UK is another example. Fine initially (and in theory) but a disaster once weather played a part and something that TT doesn't yet know HOW to recover from.

And the fact that many will not renew subscriptions because of TT's screw ups is another potential loss of significant revenue. So you KNOW that they have a team working on it, so far without succeess.

But what would satisfy posters of the thread at TT Discussions? A post every day by TT saying 'Sorry, not today ........'? Hardly. That's all I'm saying, really......

Except for this. It's sad that TomTom's management seem to make RIM's management appear to be rocket scientists! Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Will it last, I wonder?

I've just noted on the TT 550 Live thread that my 550 Live is already on 9.120 with no update offered, why are TT going backwards, but only for select units by the look of it?

Ian... I think you must have done a manual install of a version intended for a different model some time ago and forgotten about doing it. Very Happy

v9.058 was certainly the last "official" release for the Go550.
v9.120 was only officially released for the XL2 model, but the download link for a version that seemed intended for the Go750 was leaked earlier this year.
There was a topic on PGPSW about it at the time here.

---------------------------------------

Froggy.... Were you offered an official update to v9.061 today, or did you just do an unofficial install?

I haven't seen any announcement about it and Home doesn't offer anything higher than my existing v9.058
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn

I don't think anyone is expecting an overnight fix.

The problem is that a number of times Ditte or Kenneth posted that something would happen, be it either an update or an increase in range, and then it didn't happen. Instead of coming back with an update it was left until a few of us moaned and then an update was forthcoming.

A post a week is not too much to ask for?

TT also apparently tested and delayed the 160km range increase until they were happy it could be implemented. This took a month or so. Then what happened - it was implemented and crashed and burned instantly.

If there hadn't been the constant venting do you think TT would have reacted this quickly, if at all?

I am amazed that efforts are being made to fix this as previous customer 'feedback' regarding features being dropped or just plain not working (1 min Traffic Delay on RDS-TMC in the UK) has been ignored. I think this might show a turnaround in TT now listening to its customers, especially if other features, such as auto power on when connected to power has made a reappearance in 9.061 as reported elsewhere today.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"AndyVaughan"

Froggy.... Were you offered an official update to v9.061 today, or did you just do an unofficial install?

I haven't seen any announcement about it and Home doesn't offer anything higher than my existing v9.058

Official update from Home. 9.058 no longer appears in their official list.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
HD Travel in the UK is another example. Fine initially (and in theory) but a disaster once weather played a part and something that TT doesn't yet know HOW to recover from.
But it's been summer here all summer. No snow storms causing multiple blocked roads all over the place. What are they using as an excuse for the crash this time? Too much sun shine? Not enough rain? Sounds like the snow causing the problem was a load of baloney, because if that had been the case, when the snow melted, HD traffic should once again have been fine.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap Clap Clap Not Worthy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: