Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic range reduced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic range reduced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
The did not specifically state 160km but they do state
Quote:

Get the most up-to-date traffic information available for your route, live on your TomTom LIVE device with TomTom High Definition Traffic™.

You receive detailed incident reports about the length and reason of the delays, the most accurate delay information, travel- and arrival times, and alternative route proposals. All this information is sent directly to your TomTom navigation system.

TomTom HD Traffic is a revolution in traffic information offering you the best coverage, the most updates from the best sources and it is fully automated.
Crying or Very sad

They forgot to mention frequent service outages Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:

So the range is reduced and it works again or they leave the increased range and it doesn't work. The fix is probably going to take an indeterminate time so seems to me the most pragmatic solution is to reduce the range.

Of course we are all fed up with the situation but a working reduced range seems better thana longer range that doesn't work.

I would be PERFECTLY happy with an honest announcement which said something like "We have got a problem, but we are doing our utmost to sort it out."

But we never get anything of the sort....
They reduced the range without mentioning it at all, in the hope that no-one would notice.
When they partially restored the range, they didn't explain why it fell over again so quickly (when until the one incident last winter it had worked for a couple of years without too much trouble).

You say "The fix is probably going to take an indeterminate time..." but have they actually said anywhere that they are even going to TRY to fix it? Or will they just give up?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post from Ditte on the TomTom support forum last Thursday:

As you have noticed the past couple of days, the TomTom HD Traffic has not been delivering messages to your devices in the most optimal way. Some of you have ended up in jams without any prior warning. The HD Traffic team investigated this and have found that the increase of the traffic radius to 160km is the cause of the decrease in quality.

On the basis of your feedback, our team reacted quickly and have decreased the radius back to the previous 120km. This is a short term solution to keep your TomTom HD Traffic experience ideal and is therefore not final! Although TomTom HD Traffic still offers you the best traffic information available, we aim to keep improving the service and are hence working hard for a better and more permanent solution.

Note the sentence in bold - is that clear enough?
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

This is a short term solution to keep your TomTom HD Traffic experience ideal and is therefore not final!

It may be clear enough, but is it credible bearing in mind what has happened in the past... How many of Tomtom's promises have failed to reach fruition?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

Froggy wrote:
It may be clear enough, but is it credible bearing in mind what has happened in the past

Now didn't Ditte's post in the previous topic get chopped - presumed not authorised? Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

Thanks spook.
In that case my post was obviously ill-informed and basically plain wrong. Embarassed

But we have definitely seen previous "semi-official" statements like that in the past mysteriously vanish when TT cannot come up with the goods.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

This is a short term solution to keep your TomTom HD Traffic experience ideal and is therefore not final!

Just another thought... 'not final' could mean they intend to further reduce the range?

~(Edited by mods. to sort out the quotes)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could indeed if TT decide that to give an optimal traffic experience we all need a range of 80km again.

They have had months to sort this out but haven't. Funny how the increase from 120 to 160km was delayed as there were frequent outages and times when you got a nice blue traffic bar but no data.

I don't believe a word of that statement - I think there are underlying issues that the increase to 160km highlighted rather than caused.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you one thing - There's NO WAY I'm buying another TT device until they get this stuff sorted out. Sadly, in my opinion, the competition is no good, so I'll just be sticking with my present three until whenever. Evil or Very Mad

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downgrade to 80KM range will be down to what the new products have been equipped with, if they can get away with reducing the older models to this revised range it removes one of the negative points applicable to the newer inferiour models.
If HD Traffic is a prime reason a user has purchased a Live device they are not going to purchase a newer model with less capability, make the old models the same as the new ones and most users wouldn't even know about the degradation in capability.

It's a poor show when a company can change the capability of a device post purchase when subscription charges are also involved and paid up front. I no longer trust TomTom to produce a quality product or offer a reliable service, they have changed over the past few years, sadly not for the better - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true Mike. Didn't I say somewhere else that TT are going backwards?

In the meantime, the TT Discussions current thread is blandly mumbling around guessing (and giving "informed" opinion!) what may or may not be the problem and all the while TT are sitting back giving nothing out. I'd guess at least 75% of the posts there are neither complaints from the likes of Andy and me, nor comments from TT - it's just a useless talking shop! Or as TT would call it "thank you for your feedback" - it's in their interests to encourage the "feedback" which is diverting attention from the main crux of the matter. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The problem is very simple and very straightforward - TT sold us HD Traffic, then after taking our cash reduced the service unannounced. TEN MONTHS AGO!

Then in typical TT fashion initially responded to support questions by saying do resets etc, etc. Then when they managed to get it back up to half what they had taken away, they had the nerve to say they had improved it!!

I really can't understand why people are wasting their time offering guesses and suggestions - what is needed is for TomTom to recover the HD Service to what it was when they brought it out. And it really gets me a bit wild to read all the congratulatory posts from non-UK users of Nav 10 devices which were designed with the built in 80K limitation. Maybe a new Facebook page saying they cured it then knocked it back again - the original one is stale now, so TT can ignore it.

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is that the ASA said that because TomTom are not a UK company, they can't look into my complaint. I felt that they were advertising using false claims and not mentioning the restrictions. They could of course fix it by adding caveats, but the ASA not even looking stops it dead.

If anyone knows if TomTom have offices here, or pay for their advertising from here, then maybe that might help.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Press (aka TomTom) has posted Ditte's comments about the reduction in range almost verbatim on the facebook page.

Does that count as an official announcement?

Anyone seen anything anywhere else - twitter, TT support pages etc? about the reduction in range?

Anyway - mine is going on ebay at the weekend as I have had enough of them. The HD Traffic service has been so unreliable for the last 6 months I am going back to the good old RDS-TMC and it isn't on a TT. I would rather have further visibility, even if the data isn't updated as often or with quite as much detail. Oh, and no subscriptions.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it the more Live units sold and are out there the worse Live traffic is going to get. The system just cant handle the large number of units. I have said it before that it was the best traffic out there and now its just about OK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the HD Traffic uses the data from VodaFone mobile phones as well as the TomTom Live products and has done since the service was launched I doubt the increase in numbers of TomTom Live units is very high as a percentage when compared to the VodaPhone mobiles.

The extra Live device do indeed mean more devices demand data downloads but the extra information they provide to the overal datapool is quite small - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: