Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two cameras shown where only one exists
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two cameras shown where only one exists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Andy_P wrote:
2. GATSO:414 on the A416 in N.London is one example where the location of a single camera on a slip road covers both the slip road and the main carriageway .
But if you only mark the actual location of the camera, you do NOT get a warning for it if you are driving north on the main road. So we put an additional icon (GATSO:65105) in that position. Do you want to lose that warning too?
Is this how some TTs work?

It depends on your settings for "Warn only if on route" on the TomTom.
Switch that on and you will miss the odd one like my example, but switch it off and you will get far more false alerts for cameras on nearby roads (especially if your "capture radius" for warnings is set quite large)

I don't know if Garmins have that feature/option, or if they just blindly alert to any location within the capture radius.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I don't know if Garmins have that feature/option, or if they just blindly alert to any location within the capture radius.
I'm sure that Kremmen will come back and tell us Supreme Angel
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no 'warn on route' option. However, the Garmin software DOES do some basic 'ignoring' for cameras that are not directly on your route. This seems to be related to speed too as it is more obvious on motorways than on smaller roads.

MaFt
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I travel the M25 western section daily and originally I was finding that for some reason my Garmin 2200 was producing 4 consecutive warnings for each variable speed camera when they were adjacent. The way the Garmin seems to work is that they 'stack up' the warnings so I was getting 4 back-to-back warnings taking up probably 20 - 30 seconds.

Think yourself lucky you don't travel on the M42 regularly - you'd now be getting 4 warnings for dummy cameras which aren't really there!!! Wink Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
I'm sure that Kremmen will come back and tell us Supreme Angel

My Garmin is just a lowly bottom of the range job and I initially used the standard CSV sets with the posted approach warning failures when under the limit. On occasion this happened to me but not consistently which was a worry.
Being a developer I looked into the GPX files and via Ash10's sound logic and Gary Hayman's excellent site I also found that the Garmins could be forced to 'behave'.

Motorway variables are the worst example as they were producing 4 back-to-backs but I've now solved that one.

One prime example for me is cameras SE-GATSO:68205 and NW-Gatso:68206 which are on the same gantry near junction 11 M25.

My program deduces the following: (with a couple more chucked in for comparison)

Matched: -0.51723 51.38369 SE-GATSO:68205@0
With: -0.5175 51.38352 NW-GATSO:68206@0

Matched: -1.74679 52.5094 NW-GATSO:71577@0
With: -1.74658 52.50954 NW-GATSO:74051@0

Matched: -1.72581 52.5114 N-GATSO:71816@0
With: -1.72561 52.51153 S-GATSO:72897@0

Matched: -1.78112 52.51071 SW-GATSO:73354@0
With: -1.78118 52.51084 NE-GATSO:74044@0

Matched: -1.74087 52.50344 SE-GATSO:74046@0
With: -1.74112 52.50341 NW-GATSO:77730@0

The @0 gets changed to 70 when I write out the GPX file and one of the above 'matches' doesn't get included in the final output.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
There's no 'warn on route' option. However, the Garmin software DOES do some basic 'ignoring' for cameras that are not directly on your route. This seems to be related to speed too as it is more obvious on motorways than on smaller roads.

MaFt

This issue was also a concern when I used the basic CSV set of cameras.

Garmin have decided that all cameras by default will warn you (if they do) 36 seconds before the POI. I was finding that as well as getting warnings too early for my liking I was also getting warnings for cameras on adjoining roads when they were within the 36 second radius. I've reduced my warnings down to 14 seconds approach and 6 seconds overspeed which has eliminated 99% of these false warnings.

I based my radius on the warnings I used to get from my old TalexLite where I knew exactly where I got both warnings on that and they seemed to have got it just right.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: