Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade advice - my 720T is dying!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade advice - my 720T is dying!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Upgrade advice - my 720T is dying! Reply with quote

Hi there,

Have been a relatively happy owner of the above device for several years.

However the battery no longer holds charge and the traffic on it had dropped me in some major jams lately (2 hours a few weeks ago when it failed to tell me the M40 was closed).

So I am looking at upgrading - budget upto £200. Must have Live HD traffic (assuming this is better than the old service).

What would you recommend? I am currently looking at the Tomtom Via 120 for £179.99 at Tesco.

Thanks

G
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my 720 with a 750 Live and have had no regrets. Currently available for £180 or less (£179,98 at Amazon). Much better mount, no cables for the traffic gizmo to worry about - but you will need a 4GB MicroSDHC card for map updates of the whole of Europe. You can also do backups, add POI and PGPSW cameras easily Razz

IMHO, far better than the current models.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the Go 1000, and don't listen to much of the bad press

It's HD traffic is excellent, screen vibrant and cappactive touch better than the resistive older models... and it's been updates quite a bit since launch (mainly fixing issues or adding promised features) and another update is due by the end of the year - so it keeps getting better, and that added support via updates is important when buying new units (when at around the same price)

And there is the superb magnetic mount

I've been back with my Garmin 3790 the past week (just for the hell of it!) Beautiful unit, but been reversing out of very narrow lanes, taken silly routes and viewing slow map-redraw rates (compares to the Go 1000). All this with no HD traffic makes me wonder how they get away with charging more....?!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I'd go with the Go 1000, and don't listen to much of the bad press

It's HD traffic is excellent, screen vibrant and cappactive touch better than the resistive older models... and it's been updated quite a bit since launch (mainly fixing issues or adding promised features) and another update is due by the end of the year

Providing you don't mind it only showing you nearby traffic!
For which read - getting (some of) the stuff in the tin to work like it says on the tin.
For which read more of the same!

You still can't do a backup or an itinerary, just to quote two examples! Oh and then there's MyTomTom instead of Home - if you think Home is dodgy, just wait 'til you get MyTomTom!

Take Froggy's advice and get a 750 which has BETTER HD traffic (see the bad press about range of cover).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need a back up of a satnav unless you plan on messing about with it's file system (which is protected, so you cannot do this anyway) - you CAN back up your favourites, POI's etc, very easily from MyTomTom

itinerary isn't great at the moment, but even on units like my Garmin which can do them, I don't because I prefer to simply enter in all my days addresses either the night before or first thing and just select them as I go along - because things can and do change during (my) day, and at least I know I haven't forgotten on relying on an itinerary!!!

HD Traffic is quick and refreshes more frequently on the Go 1000. Yes it has less of an horizon, but works exceptionally well in my experience (been using it 6 days a week since October last year)

MyTomTom (now) does POI installs (better than Garmins), including VERY easy loading of matching personalised Icons and Sounds / Voices for them, Back up of these, custom voices, custom colour scheme installs, custom splash screens and map installations

Pretty much everything you could - or perhaps more correctly - should need from a SatNav

In with the new, out with the old. While there is nothing wrong with the 750, it IS a nice unit, it isn't up there as their latest
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
been using it 6 days a week since October last year

AND IT STILL DOESN'T DO EVERYTHING IT SAYS ON THE TIN a year later.

How much more frequently does HD Traffic refresh on the 1000 than on the 750? If Froggy had one in Glasgow and wanted to go to Dundee, HD Traffic would NOT tell him about a traffic incident on the M90 which he might prefer to plan to avoid by running a different route from Glasgow, NOT when he's already committed along the M90 direction - it's no help to be told you've got a traffic jam you could have avoided if only you'd known about it when you set off.

You don't care for a backup, because you're a brave soul. You don't use itineraries because you prefer to navigate to each individual destination (or save them as POIs or Favourites) the night before.

Other people WANT to do a backup and WANT to use itineraries, things which all previous models have offered. I personally have used both, gratefully, on my previous models. It's about six years since TomTom last produced a model stable enough to risk not backing up (the x00 range) and the absence of that facility is frightening to poor old men like me.

Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all - didn't mean to start a row - will go for the 750 as i do london to liverpool every other weekend and need long distance traffic info before comitting to m40 or m1 routes
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoggy wrote:
thanks all - didn't mean to start a row - will go for the 750 as i do london to liverpool every other weekend and need long distance traffic info before comitting to m40 or m1 routes

If you only want/need the UK & RoI then hunt for a 550 Live; same animal but smaller internal memory which is no biggie as you can use an MicroSD card
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoggy wrote:
i do london to liverpool every other weekend and need long distance traffic info before comitting to m40 or m1 routes
Joker Joker Joker
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
You don't really need a back up of a satnav unless you plan on messing about with it's file system

Absolute rubbish!
What about when TomTom have messed up yet another map update and bricked the unit? Can YOU back up your maps yet? I certainly can't!

xtraseller wrote:
you CAN back up your favourites, POI's etc, very easily from MyTomTom

Maybe very easily but certainly VERY slowly!

You can copy each POI file and it's associated icons and audio warnings ONE BY ONE to your computer.
For my (fairly unexceptional) set up, that would mean about 170 separate copy operations, each of which needs three mouse clicks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
For my (fairly unexceptional) set up, that would mean about 170 separate copy operations, each of which needs three mouse clicks.
You'll have to help me with the sums there, Andy (I don't know if Anita's available). One by one means three files for each POI - the file, icon and sound. Click, edit, copy, click, edit, paste. Six clicks per file, 18 clicks per POI. If you only have 32 Speed zoned cameras, that's 576 clicks to help your RSI. If you mean you've got 170 POIs, that's 3,060 clicks just to backup your POIs. I suppose you could vary it by click, Cmd+C, click, Cmd+V. Either way, good luck! Very Happy

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, I think you guys need to get in the real world with your stats, and stop scaremongering with exceptional examples

For most people, most of the time the POIs on their PND will be

1. Favourties (generated on the PND, one click back-up to your computer)
2. Speed Cam POIs (ie. PGPSW - no need to back up as these are generated from your computer, so already there, and - as PGPSW suggests - you update weekly anyway. You can upload the entire PGPSW speed cam database, voice warnings and visuals with one click, which to me is amazing compared to any other POI loader on a PND I have used - Navigon, Garmin, Navman)
3. Specific POIs (ie. Caravan Club - again as 2, typically downloaded from computer so already on computer)

Back-ups

I've used GPS daily since my old Garmins, through the Navman ICN620 to the current day - and NEVER had a unit lose its data on me. Had a few (one Navman, one Garmin) which died early, but no back-up data was ever going to help those poor little units

So I guess it is horses for courses, and most people - even keen users like myself - don't ever need to back up a PND. Saying you do (for 99% of users) is the "rubbish statement" - you must have more time on your hands than sense that is for sure
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
You'll have to help me with the sums there, Andy (I don't know if Anita's available). One by one means three files for each POI - the file, icon and sound.

well, some of my POIs (eg the speed cam database) have FOUR parts - the data file, the icon, the x2 size icon and the audio
Most of my other POIs don't need audio, and some don't have an x2 icon, so I took an average of 3 parts.

DennisN wrote:
Click, edit, copy, click, edit, paste. Six clicks per file, 18 clicks per POI.

Not quite that bad... Laughing
In my TomTom, there is a button beside each file labelled "Copy to computer" (that's click #1)
On my browser that brings up a message asking if I want to open or save the file. I select "save" (that's click #2)
I then get a standard Windows Explorer window to choose a folder to save it to (so it needs several clicks to get to the right one but after that it stays on the right folder, so I' ignored those)
I then click on "sav" in that window (that's click #3)

Repeat until pulling hair out.... Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Come on, I think you guys need to get in the real world with your stats, and stop scaremongering with exceptional examples

Absolutely not so....

xtraseller wrote:
For most people, most of the time the POIs on their PND will be

1. Favourties (generated on the PND, one click back-up to your computer)

Three clicks, as I said.

xtraseller wrote:
2. Speed Cam POIs (ie. PGPSW - no need to back up as these are generated from your computer, so already there

If I was away on holiday, I would back them up to a laptop or something, so I could replace them even if I couldn't get on-line.
But OK, fine....ignore them.

xtraseller wrote:
3. Specific POIs (ie. Caravan Club - again as 2, typically downloaded from computer so already on computer)

Do you never ADD to your POIs as you drive around?
I can count at least 15 to 20 self-generated POI categories on my unit that I regularly edit or add to while out driving (family, personal, business, good picnic sites, good bird watching sites, map errors to discuss with TomTom, camera verifications to discuss with PGPSW etc. etc.). These are NOT just downloaded and left unchanged. They need backing up.
That's a bare minimum of 63+ mouse clicks, without the speed cams.

xtraseller wrote:
Back-ups

I've used GPS daily since my old Garmins, through the Navman ICN620 to the current day - and NEVER had a unit lose its data on me.

Lucky you

xtraseller wrote:
... most people - even keen users like myself - don't ever need to back up a PND. Saying you do (for 99% of users) is the "rubbish statement" - you must have more time on your hands than sense that is for sure

I'll ignore the personal insult. I'll just let others decide who is lacking sense.. you, or the people who have seen their new TomToms left without maps after trying to update them (read all the forums!) and who would like a way to fix it without having to send their units back to Holland.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this of any help to the OP?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: