Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Low Bridges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Bridges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emma ill get back to you at weekend via email if you could sent me your emailaddress

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "bridge bashing" prevention equipment Reply with quote

emma wrote:
Hello everyone!

As part of my Master's Degree at the University of Leeds, ...

As I understand it, most drivers (who are ultimately held responsible for any bridge strikes Stop! ) who are trying to use GPS for bridge avoidance have their own GPS (TomTom or whatever) as employers don't care. The systems you mention are far too expensive for personal use. Joker What I am trying to do is get hold of what should be readily available info (especially given the governments advertised access to information bill) so that it can be added to existing GPS systems. Angry

By the way width, length, weight and grounding risks are actually much more problematic for drivers and access to the information even more difficult to access. Driving
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robin you will not get nav systems with weight limits a the information is to complex for the routing to take into account ie access only, no access, except for access andvthe fact the data changes too quickly for mapproviders, software houses to update accurratly. as for grounding those Bridges that you may ground on are well signed and this would only apply to lowloader drivers.
it would also be a legal nightmare to if you tt for intance said turn left in to an except for access that had recently been changed it would leave the software proider liable for that in formation which is a chance they wont take
bridge heights are a different matter as they change only when the road resurficed and an change must be notified to rail track (i think).

device Lumia 950 xl
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Weight limits Reply with quote

I never expected nav systems to do exactly what I want, but I believe drivers can cope with POIs containing weight info etc. Cheers!

They know whether they are accessing or not. Thumbs Up

GPS providers take no responsibility anyway, Rolling Eyes it's always the drivers fault. Police
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
robin you will not get nav systems with weight limits a the information is to complex for the routing to take into account ie access only, no access, except for access andvthe fact the data changes too quickly for mapproviders, software houses to update accurratly. as for grounding those Bridges that you may ground on are well signed and this would only apply to lowloader drivers.
it would also be a legal nightmare to if you tt for intance said turn left in to an except for access that had recently been changed it would leave the software proider liable for that in formation which is a chance they wont take
bridge heights are a different matter as they change only when the road resurficed and an change must be notified to rail track (i think).

I do not think that this would either be difficult, or a legal nightmare to implement, or not at least in future versions of any navigation software.

Quite simply, in the way that most software can route you through a particular point, you only need the ability to have an 'avoid point' facility with it being possible to download the co-ordinates in much the same way as POI's are currently.

This information could then be kept much more up to date than any map data could be.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin,

Did you get the zip files I sent you.

AMN GPS 4
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Hi Robin,

Did you get the zip files I sent you.

AMN GPS 4

Yes, many, many thanks, Thumbs Up but I havn't looked at them yet, frantic week not over yet. Driving
emma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "bridge bashing" prevention equipment Reply with quote

robinwalton wrote:
As I understand it, most drivers (who are ultimately held responsible for any bridge strikes) who are trying to use GPS for bridge avoidance have their own GPS (TomTom or whatever) as employers don't care. The systems you mention are far too expensive for personal use. What I am trying to do is get hold of what should be readily available info (especially given the governments advertised access to information bill) so that it can be added to existing GPS systems.

By the way width, length, weight and grounding risks are actually much more problematic for drivers and access to the information even more difficult to access.

Hi, yes I've been following the discussions on how to get hold of this information. I don't know if you've already tried this, but most of the local authorities either list the low-height bridges within their authority on their websites, or are willing to send you out information, so it's worth geting in touch with them. Bridges that aren't maintained by local authorities are usually the responsibility of the Maintaining Agent Contractor for that area (the individual areas are shown on a map on the HA website) - there are 14 areas in England in total (Scotland & Wales are not included). Each MAC has an abnormal loads officer who should be approachable to ask for information on their restricted height (or weight/width etc.) bridges. Roads which will come under a MAC instead of a LA are trunk roads, A-roads, motorways etc.. Whoever is in charge of a bridge, it isn't in their best interest either to have it constantly needing repair after being hit, so they'd probably be glad to hear from you. Confused

The HA has gradually become aware of the increasing problem of bridge bashing - this is why I'm concentrating my work on height - as I'm coming to it from the Structural Maintenance side; & to date there has not been much thought put in to widespread measures to avoid the occurence of bridge bashing, other than painting the bridges yellow! And the costs involved in repairing a damaged bridge are immense!! Surprised

The GPS system I mentioned was just an example - but if a system such as this was to be used (costs aside!), then as the company would be being paid to provide accurate data, then it would be much easier to put the responsibility for a strike onto them (which is an issue raised by Robin in a later posting).

But the second system I detailed (an Overheight Detection & Warning System) would be one which put the majority of the responsibility back onto the HA, & would require no cost input from drivers. To what extent do drivers believe that it would be beneficial to them, if these systems were installed before all vulnerable bridges? (They do already exist at very few locations). Or, would a result of this widespread installation be, that at bridges where a warning system did not exist, the bridge would be assumed to be of an adequate height, & the advisory height signs would start being ignored, thus increasing the risk of strikes occuring at these bridges??

Thankyou,
Emma. Laughing
emma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
emma ill get back to you at weekend via email if you could sent me your email address

Hi, just checking if you got my email address? I sent it to you by PM on Thursday.

Emma. :o
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi emma yesi got your pm sorry it went a little crazy at weekend i WILL get back to you hopefully tomorrow or wednesday oh the joys of trampping

device Lumia 950 xl
bikingviking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yu can get a low bridge POI database from www.lowbridges.com

Cheers

Biking Viking
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a low bridge poi file on my web site (includes icon and sound file), but it needs a lot more work at this stage, any body who would like to download this file and try it can PM me for the link as it is not on the general web site yet.

I will only be available for PM today Friday 26th & Saturday 27th, no PM will be answered after that date for 10 days.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

Where there's a will, there's a way. If people can keep track of several thousand speed cameras then surely it's possible to keep track of low bridges.

The present technology is that main sat nav systems need the entire map database updated when any minor change is made, but once again this could be overcome if they wanted to. The problematic areas could be loaded as custom avoids, for example.

As for through routing vs access, Garmin already have a feature to "Avoid unpaved roads" but if your final destination is via an unpaved road then it will still take you down the uppaved road. So what's to stop them replacing "unpaved road" with height/weight restriction?

Quote:
it would also be a legal nightmare to if you tt for intance said turn left in to an except for access that had recently been changed it would leave the software proider liable for that in formation

I can just see the Police man now. Police "Ahh yes of course, sir - your sat nav told you to do it. If your sat nav told you to drive off a cliff, would you?" ;)
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikingviking wrote:
Hi

Yu can get a low bridge POI database from www.lowbridges.com

Cheers

Biking Viking

Thats fine, but you will have to PAY.

Contact me or Robin and you can have a list of over 2000 low bridges for FREE.
Big_Craig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I Truck now, and previously worked in IT.

Just thinking allowed:

Would the Bridge / Width / Weight information not be held by each local authority? Would the information not be available under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOI). Person(s) in each region could request the data.

Could the amalgameted data not be placed online and allow, through a webpage, criteria to be set, then on-the-fly, create a custom POI file to be downloaded.
E.G: I want a POI data file that shows bridges under 13' or N metres, and weight limits over 17T etc.

Alternatively write a GNU application that downloads the master data file from a web location and then allows you to create POI files off line using the application? The application could be set to check for the most recent data file.

Having sight of a sample POI for each device would allow a POI file to be created specifically for a given device.

Just thoughts.

Big_Craig.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: