Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Low Bridges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Bridges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Low Bridges etc. Reply with quote

I've been thinking about compiling lists to help us truckers out, low bridges, truck stops and so on. Count me in on the "share it around" idea and I'll do my bit!
Justin
arturus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Low Bridges Reply with quote

I know this won't help with setting up a low bridge POI, but for those who could afford it---this could be the solution.
http://www.avrouk.com/bridgeclear.htm have developed a system of using gps to give an advanced warning of low bridges.
Regards
Arturus
currys1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phily wrote:
Hi,

Just thought I would share this with you.....

I have posted a file for inclusion in the POI list which consists of
LowBridges under 4m [151] and another Lowbridges 4 to 5m [108] which is awaiting our masters to post out on this site Question

Also I have an update which I am working on which has 217 + 185 bridges on A,B,+C roads ready to forward when my original list is posted and I have another 100 details of bridges in the pipeworks so to speak.

The list already there is for 80 bridges or so, some of which I posted, but I decided to make my own list and split between under and over 4mts.

I hope this helps you in your decision to make your own list and if you PM me with your email I can send you direct my latest list.

Is there any way of setting the height on the TTgo as i only need bridges under 4m
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions for the Truckers and drivers of other high vehicles, if you could specify the ultimate GB "Low Bridge" POI, would you:

1. Prefer heights in imperial or metric units? I.e. 13'3" or 4.04m?

2. Want the POI as one massive database with all bridges less than 16'3" (4.95 metres) shown, or split into specific height, or ranges of heights? If you wanted ranges of heights, what would be the ranges that you’d want?

3. Want bridge heights on roads other than A or B category roads? The AA Trucker’s Atlas lists 1,600 bridge heights on A and B roads only.

By the way, I’m not a trucker, but I am interested in this thread. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
currys1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i only drive 7.5 ton box vans i would only want bridges of below 13 foot and on all roads and in imperial.
minion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey privateer

i know a few HGV drivers - most of them drive tri-level car transporters, so getting the height measurement spot on is crucial to them (otherwise all cars on the top level are going to be convertibles!)

1. speaking on their behalf they'd probably prefer imperial.

2. i'd probably say maybe five ranges, <13', <14', <15', <16' and <17' perhaps. with each range having a different logo to easily identify them at a glance on screen and their own POI warning.

3. stick to the A and B class roads as truckers tend to follow the AA Trucker's Atlas anyway and will very, very rarely venture onto C class roads when fully loaded - unless it can't be avoided.

there would also be an interest for bridge maximum weight POI - but that's another huge task that's daunting to start!
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
A few questions for the Truckers and drivers of other high vehicles, if you could specify the ultimate GB "Low Bridge" POI, would you:

1. Prefer heights in imperial or metric units? I.e. 13'3" or 4.04m?

I would prefer heights shown in imperial please.

Quote:
2. Want the POI as one massive database with all bridges less than 16'3" (4.95 metres) shown, or split into specific height, or ranges of heights? If you wanted ranges of heights, what would be the ranges that you’d want?

I think i would like one massive database with all bridges less than 16' 3", i drive an artic pulling a 16' double deck trailer.

Quote:
3. Want bridge heights on roads other than A or B category roads? The AA Trucker’s Atlas lists 1,600 bridge heights on A and B roads only.

For me A and B roads would be fine as most of my driving is motorway use(M6 Grrr), only using A and B roads if i have to avoid a road closure or accident.

I can't understand why they will not let you have bridge height data in electronic form, we are constantly being told "DO NOT BE A BRIDGE BASHER", but the industry/companies do nothing to help us out, most companies now use Autoroute, i know a few other drivers that have bought themselves sat nav gear, it would be so easy then to add the data as poi's.

it must be costing the industry millions in fines/repairs, i work for a major haulage company and from may 02 to may 03 it cost them an estimated £285k in recovery/repairs/damage to goods/fines etc.

Quote:
By the way, I’m not a trucker, but I am interested in this thread. Thumbs Up

Regards,
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this while checking for bridge height data-

http://www.rssb.co.uk/pdf/reports/Bridge%20Strikes%20-%20Special%20Topic%20Report.pdf

Is it worth E-mailing railtrack to see if they will supply the data.

I have made a start on finding low bridge co-ordinates from AA truckers atlas using the location sensor in tools on Autoroute, i have started from the front of the atlas, if someone wants to start at the back that will help.
slipknot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a great idea!!!!!!

i got routed on a road with a 12ft bridge last week!!!!!!!!

saw an artic coming the other way and thought, thats ok then... and plodded on... only to find their yard about 50yds before this 12ft bridge Embarassed

Ever felt an arse??? (Only when invited)... Laughing Out Loud
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark sorry for posting this late but the reson is cost and copyright the bridge heights are available in the data supplied by teleatlas and navtech and my last point we as hgv drivers arent seen as a large sales volume group for the likes of tomtom alk to name two as well as the others im hoping someone will provide this data soon in pad package but i can only dream as yet

the data isnt available in the fitted systems either on systems like vdo daytona and pioneer to name a couple the answer is the same as above

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mark on this one.

We use double deck trailers with a height of 16'2",or about 4.8m,and anything that would warn us,would be brilliant.

We did try an experimental system a few months ago,but the annoying beep,picked up everything within a mile radius!!!!!!

Ken.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trucker friend has asked me to find this information (so far without success).
As to splitting into ranges of bridge heights, this should not be necessarry if you are prepared to do a bit of work yourself.
All that is needed is a spreadsheet file with the bridge height in a separate column. It would then simply be a matter of sorting the file by bridge height, and discard the lines you do not require. I understand that there are utilities out there which (admittedly with some work) will allow you to convert the data into an appropriate format for the software to use.
If separate files are required, then the sorted file could easily be used to produce them too.
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: 1472 bridges! Reply with quote

Go to topic http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21322
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Updates etc. Reply with quote

Anyone who emails me at robin@willow-house.co.uk can get POIs of low bridges for any particular height. Thumbs Up
I will also send updates for any corrections received. Angel
If you can confirm height and location information I will change the names appropriately. Cheers!
Any missing (or incorrect) bridge information gratefully received. 8)
emma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: "bridge bashing" prevention equipment Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

As part of my Master's Degree at the University of Leeds, I am undertaking a study into the methods available to help prevent high vehicles from striking low bridges or "bridge bashing", and so after discovering this forum as part of my research, have found the discussions on the problems of avoiding low bridges very interesting. It would be very helpful to me if I could receive some feedback on two types of warning systems that I am aware of; & maybe my work might then at some point be able to help you in return!

The first is an 'in-cab' device such as those manufactured by BridgeClear called "BridgeWatch"; and GKD Technik called "BridgeSafe". These operate by GPS, & are preloaded with the location of all low-height bridges across the country, and into which the driver enters the current height of their vehicle at the start of their journey. At distances of 1km & 500m before a bridge that is below this height, the BridgeWatch device will emit a visible & audible warning to the driver, so that the bridge may be avoided. This system is available on a 5 year lease at an initial cost of £240 followed by weekly payments of £4, to cover maintenance & database updates. The purchase price is £999 or £850 for multiple orders. The BridgeSafe device provides a visible & audible warning of all low bridges within a 15m radius of the vehicle.

The main disadvantages that I can think of for this type of system, is for vehicles such as low-loaders, skip-carriers etc., where the overall vehicle height + load is constantly changing & so the driver would need to keep re-entering their data into the device. The use of this device also places most of the responsibility for avoiding low bridges onto the driver, & drivers of exceptionally high vehicles may find that bridges which are too low for them are not included in the database as they are not generally considered to be a low bridge. What would drivers think if systems such as this were to be made legally compulsory within HGVs/LGVs etc.?

The second system is an Overheight Vehicle Detection & Warning System, produced by companies such as Coeval & Dambach within the UK & other companies such as Trigg Industries International in the USA, IRD in Canada, & SICK-MAIHAK in Germany; etc.. This sytem involves a lasar placed across the road, before a bridge which is liable to be hit, & which, when triggered by an overheight vehicle causes a warning sign - either an LED variable messsage sign or other - to be displayed, instructing the vehicle that they are overheight for the coming bridge, & to turn off at the next junction before the bridge, or if necessary, to turn back. These sytems can operate at 2 heights, so that high vehicles are merely warned of the bridge & overheight vehicles are diverted: this is of particular use before arch bridges where high vehicles need to use the middle of the road. They can also operate across several lanes of traffic & several are capable of working at speeds of up to 70mph/113kph. These sytems can also incorporate Bridge Impact Detection equipment for cases where the instructions are ignored: to alert a control office of a strike occurance; as well as camera/video equipment to help track down vehicles that do not stop after a collision: to enable legal address & insurance claims to be made.

The main difficulty with these systems is that they work best when placed before a junction suitable for the vehicle to be diverted onto, which is especially difficult at motorway junctions. It is also believed that if drivers become reliant on these systems to warn them of restricted height structures ahead, they will become 'lazy' at taking avoiding action themselves. There is also the evidence that Authorities are reluctant to spend the time & money, to put these systems into place, even if a specific bridge is being hit several times a year.

Has anyone experienced these systems, & are they of use? Which of these two methods do people consider would be most effective or helpful to them? And what advantages & disadvantages can people anticipate with them? If anyone knows of an example of a Detection & Warning System in existence - particularly in the UK - that they could let me know of, it would be very helpful. Also, if anyone knows of a different kind of system that needs exploring, or which is in use & is effective & reliable could they please provide me with details.

Thankyou very much for your time in reading this!
Emma. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: