Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downgrade from TT520 to Start20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downgrade from TT520 to Start20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilSKN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Downgrade from TT520 to Start20 Reply with quote

After giving my TT520 to my son I appear to have downgraded myself to a brand new Start 20. How do I transfer my POI and Speed Camera downloads to my Start20? I used to be able to "see" my TT520 as an extra drive on the computer and just drag and drop the files into the Western Europe map are on the TT520. Now I can't seem to "see" the Start20 as a drive on the computer. I have downloaded MyTomTom (which took all of 15hrs to do!!) - why that long? But there doesn't appear to be an option to view the contents of the Start20. In the help menu it suggests connect to "My Communities" but I can't find that either. What is going on? I thought new equipment was meant to be better!! Can anybody help. I am actually trying to download the Rugby Clubs POIs - off the a match this afternoon in Birmingham and wanted an easy way to get there.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the 2nd post in this thread
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=565521#565521
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Downgrade from TT520 to Start20 Reply with quote

NeilSKN wrote:
After giving my TT520 to my son I appear to have downgraded myself to a brand new Start 20. How do I transfer my POI and Speed Camera downloads to my Start20? I used to be able to "see" my TT520 as an extra drive on the computer and just drag and drop the files into the Western Europe map are on the TT520. Now I can't seem to "see" the Start20 as a drive on the computer. I have downloaded MyTomTom (which took all of 15hrs to do!!) - why that long? But there doesn't appear to be an option to view the contents of the Start20. In the help menu it suggests connect to "My Communities" but I can't find that either. What is going on? I thought new equipment was meant to be better!! Can anybody help. I am actually trying to download the Rugby Clubs POIs - off the a match this afternoon in Birmingham and wanted an easy way to get there.
You would have been better off had you given the Start to your son and kept the 520. The x20s and x30s were the best so far unless you want live traffic etc.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Have a look at the 2nd post in this thread
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=565521#565521

Yeah, but I don't think that HELPS the OP much does it?

NeilSKN... You can still add POIs, voices, warning sounds, carcursors, colour schemes and startup/shutdown images to your new START.

You can add them using the "MyTomTom" utility or there's even a "Content Transfer Assistant" which can automatically copy all those things over from your old Go520 to a new device.
The webpage to download it is HERE.
One thing.... It doesn't mention the Start20, but I know that page was produced before the Start 20 was invented, so they may just have forgotten to update the page. It's worth a try, unless you're happy just doing it manually with MyTomTom.

To add the POIs (or other content) yourself, using MyTomtom,

1. Connect the Go1000 to your PC and run 'MyTomTom'

2. Click on the 'MyTomTom' icon in the bottom right of the screen, in the bit next to the PC clock

3. Click on "Add community content"

4. In the window that opens, scroll down to where it says "Add POI" and then click on it.

5. Click on the blue box labelled "Browse" that now appears.

6. A normal-looking file-selection window should appear, so browse to wherever you saved the files.

7. Pick the first POI file, "blahblah.ov2" by clicking on it with the mouse, and select "Open".

8. Then, back in the main MyTomtom window, click on "Install"

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for the "blahblah.bmp" file (the POI icon) and also the "blahblah.ogg" if you have one (the optional warning sound or voice)

*** Actually, depending on what internet browser you use, (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera etc.) you MAY be able to select all three files at once in step 7, by clicking and dragging across them all, or by holding the Ctrl key down as you click on each one in turn. ***

At the end of all that, your MyTomTom screen should show you all the files you've loaded to the device.
If all looks well, click on "Close" in MyTomtom and then disconnect the TomTom device from the PC.

Hope that explains the process well enough. If you have any questions, just ask.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Andy, that's a bit harsh isn't it? It helps him to understand some of the limitations of his new TT compared with the old one. All I did was point him in the direction of Mike to explain what those limitations were. And Mike has helped me enough in the past that I trust his opinions, and I know he knows a lot more than I do about these things.

And the directions for doing something as simple as putting in some POIs set out in your post do seem to be much more convoluted to the way it used to be done on the "old" TT. I am not surprised the OP feels that his new buy may be a step backwards.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I have probably got less patience these days especially when it comes to devices that have have gone backwards in terms of capability, whilst it is possible to add third party data to these new units its taken over 12 months to be able to do this (since the original Navcore 3 based device release).

Even now the vital step of performing a backup AND the ability to reload that backup in the event of a failure is denied to the end user, the only recourse is back to TomTom to fix it, how they handle this once the device is over twelve months old and outside the warranty period will be interesting - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Peter, I have probably got less patience these days especially when it comes to devices that have have gone backwards in terms of capability, whilst it is possible to add third party data to these new units its taken over 12 months to be able to do this (since the original Navcore 3 based device release).

Even now the vital step of performing a backup AND the ability to reload that backup in the event of a failure is denied to the end user, the only recourse is back to TomTom to fix it, how they handle this once the device is over twelve months old and outside the warranty period will be interesting - Mike

Mike - I have found that impatience comes with age (or so my wife tells me). Grumpy old man and all that. It seems to me, looking from the outside (although I still have a reliable 920, but never use it) that TT have really lost their way of late. They have already abandoned the software market (except for apple) and now they seem to be making a fist of the PND market.

No wonder their financial results are so bad - a classic case of market leader getting too complacent. In 20 years time they will probably be a case study in business degree courses!
Copilot for USA
NeilSKN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Thank you to you all for your comments, particularly Andy_P. I followed your directions and they worked a treat. Why couldn't the instructions be that clear. I am visiting my son next week when he plays his next rugby match and so I have a week to consider the advice of Calomax and give the Start 20 to my son and take back my TT520.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Andy, that's a bit harsh isn't it? It helps him to understand some of the limitations of his new TT compared with the old one.

Yeah maybe, but all he wanted to know was how to put some POIs on his device as quickly as possible (preferably by that afternoon).
None of the replies or links actually suggested it was possible at all!

I'm all for having a good "grump" now and again Twisted Evil , but I like to get the questions answered as well Supreme Angel .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: