Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding POI TomTom 540
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding POI TomTom 540
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Adding POI TomTom 540 Reply with quote

Hi folks.. as a new 540 owner and new PGPSW subscriber, its probably me thats doing ssomething wrong, but after downloading the Cam Database, i decided to add fuel stations and ATMs, as i thought these would be most useful.

I D/L the appropriate files, ( both Fuel stations and ATMs ) and threw all the files into the POI folder, while my 540 was connected to the PC

I then decided to see if the new POI's worked, so disconnected and booted uo the 540, but when going to ' manage POI's ' there was nothing there ?

any help appreciated for a beginner Shocked
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it... i think this probably should have been posted in the LBS section
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TheFatBassman,

Perversely, POI's don't go in the POI folder, they go in the folder which contains the map (and it's NOT the folder called Map!). The folder shall be called something like UK & ROI.

A quick "Cut & Paste" should do the trick.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where the "LBS" section is, so I've put it in the TomTom section, hope that's OK? Smile

Its always something blindingly obvious or horribly subtle stopping it working for you... the only problem is finding it.

I had a wonderfully crafted reply half finished asking lots of questions, but 'AliOnHols' beat me to it and spotted the problem immediately Me Me Me (I'd missed it!)
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies - i'll try that Cool

Andy, no its fine thanks ! I've still been answered so all's good

The LBS section is here...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=22

With a sub section of POI
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats worked perfectly, though dont understand why fuel stations couldnt be placed in the POI folder. Never mind, job done Cool

But now i have another problem. I'm out driving, and i want to find the nearest fuel station, the menu in the 540 only allows me to find only one name... EG i can find either Shell stations or Esso stations or Asda stations etc.

But i obviously want to find the nearest one, regardless of name, so can anyone help me set this up ?
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add, that although all the fuel stations ( Shell, Asda , etc etc ) show up on the 540 now, ( placed them in UK and ROI folder as suggested ) trying to add them all as POI's was hopeless, as every time i touched them to add them in, i get a message saying no POI found..?

These SatNavs are trickier than they look. Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFatBassman wrote:
i can find either Shell stations or Esso stations or Asda stations etc.

But i obviously want to find the nearest one, regardless of name, so can anyone help me set this up ?

Right.... This is down to the way POI "categories" and "sub categories" work on the Pocket GPS World download page

If you go back to the PGPSW download page for the POIs, you'll see at the bottom:

Quote:
4. How should the files be created?
O Separate files per subcategory
O Combine subcategories into category file

By choosing one or the other you can either have separate categories for Shell, Esso, Asda, etc.
Or you can have ONE category called "Petrol Stations" (ie all of them)

You need to start all over again and this time select the second option.
Smile

One difference - you've found already... with separate categories, you only get to search one brand at a time.

The other difference is that with individual categories, you can have a pretty icon showing the Shell logo and the Esso logo etc, but if you have them all combined, then you only get one icon for all of them (usually a petrol pump symbol).

For some POIs you might want separate categories, for most you probably want them combined. The good thing is that you can have either....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFatBassman wrote:
I must add, that although all the fuel stations ( Shell, Asda , etc etc ) show up on the 540 now, ( placed them in UK and ROI folder as suggested ) trying to add them all as POI's was hopeless, as every time i touched them to add them in, i get a message saying no POI found..?

Not sure what you mean here... I'm probably being dense, can you say it again in a different way?
What exactly were you doing when you say " trying to add them all as POI's was hopeless, as every time i touched them to add them in"
What are you trying to add them in to?

TO see them on the map and to go to them, all you need to do is:
1. paste the downloaded files in to the right folder (you've done that)
2. On the TomTom menu, select "Show POI on map" and select the categories (that's if you want to see them on the map all the time, but you don't have to).
or
3. just go "Navigate to... POI" or "Travel via... POI", choose "POI on Route" or "POI near me" and then select the category you want. They should then be shown in order of distance from you and the coloured arrows give you an idea of how far off your current route each one is.
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I thought i'd have to add them as POI's after placing them in the UK & ROI folder.

But the then i did say i was a new owner, so i claim ignorance of the procedures. If i knew what i was doing i wouldnt be asking Laughing

Anyways - the page for downloading isnt working so i cant get them downloaded as combined files
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange -

Just out of curiosity, i tried downloading a catergory i wasnt interested in and it works, but didnt actually ' save ' the download.

Tried some other catergories i didnt want and they worked too - but never
' saved '

Seems to me that my 2nd go at dowloading the Fuel catergory , but this time using combined, has been blocked by this place.

Searching the forums for any answers to this revealed nothing, so i guess i must be the only one who's tried this ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Subcategories are you trying to Combine.

Please note the Known Incompatibilities List, below the Download Section - especially No.3.

Quote:
3. Please Note: For OV2 files, the option to combine categories is limited to a maximum of 20. Attempts to combine more than 20 will fail. If you need to do so, please download in batches of 20 categories and merge using a utility such as POI Edit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without ruffling too many feathers here (I hope), the POI download page can be quite temperamental at times. It has been known to reject searches depending upon choice of internet browser, if java is enabled, stored cookies, etc. If you find yourself stuck, try refreshing the page, shutting down the browser, a different browser, a different choice of POI download, cleaning your caches or anything else to shake it up! There appears to be no specific formula apart from perseverance.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
How many Subcategories are you trying to Combine.

Please note the Known Incompatibilities List, below the Download Section - especially No.3.

Quote:
3. Please Note: For OV2 files, the option to combine categories is limited to a maximum of 20. Attempts to combine more than 20 will fail. If you need to do so, please download in batches of 20 categories and merge using a utility such as POI Edit.

Richard, i'm just trying to download all the fuel stations. The warning about 20 maximum refers to catergories, so it says, not sub catergories. As far as i know, the Fuel stations are just one catergory, though there's quite a few fuel stations in the sub catergory list, but the warning about OV2 files is to do with more than 20 catergories, not 20 sub catergories

They would be good to have because I drive for a living, but the advice was to to not download them as seperates ( which i did the first time ) so i'm trying to download them as combined ( all the fuel stations as one, rather than Esso, Shell, Sainsbury's etc )

My 2nd go at combining for download didnt work. The message i kept getting was ' SERVER WAS RESET ' please try later, check your net connections and so on.

Last edited by TheFatBassman on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
TheFatBassman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Without ruffling too many feathers here (I hope), the POI download page can be quite temperamental at times. It has been known to reject searches depending upon choice of internet browser, if java is enabled, stored cookies, etc. If you find yourself stuck, try refreshing the page, shutting down the browser, a different browser, a different choice of POI download, cleaning your caches or anything else to shake it up! There appears to be no specific formula apart from perseverance.

OK, will do Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: