Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone app v1.8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone app v1.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: iPhone app v1.8 Reply with quote

Not sure whether to post this question here on in the Apple part of Forum….

Considering getting the TomTom app for an iPhone 4, I will mainly be using in UK, but once or maybe twice a year may need to use in Europe.

Trying to decide whether to opt or the full Europe version which is the most expensive, or just the UK version and then the Europe Version if and when I need it.

My questions are;
1. As the Europe version will presumably be a larger file, I assume it will take up more space on the iPhone, but will it run more slowly as a result?
I seem to remember when running the full Europe map on my old TT PND’s movement on the map seemed jerkier and route calculation took longer, which I assumed was as a result of the larger map file.

2. If I were to wait until I needed European coverage and then purchased that app seperately, would I get a more up to date map, I have heard that currently the maps that the iPhone app uses tend to be updated regularly and for free?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're not short on space i'd recommend just buying the EU version initially. otherwise you'll be paying twice for the uk maps and you will also have to manage two physically separate sets of favourites / history etc.

MaFt
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run TT v1.8 Europe on my iPhone 4. Mast/Satellite fix is very quick and so is route calculation. Map movement is smooth and accurate. I also run CamerAlert (linked to my PGPSW camera account and updated regularly) in the background, which works well also. Go for it!

IF your iPhone is jailbroken then ...........................
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
I run TT v1.8 Europe on my iPhone 4. Mast/Satellite fix is very quick and so is route calculation. Map movement is smooth and accurate. I also run CamerAlert (linked to my PGPSW camera account and updated regularly) in the background, which works well also. Go for it!

Thanks for advice!

My phone is unlocked (purchased direct from Apple store), what would jailbreaking enable me to do in connection with this?
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install programs without using iTunes, among other things. I would not wish to elaborate further here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: