Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Pronunciation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Pronunciation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know Garmins very well.

Thinking about it, on my TomTom's there are already loads of NON text to speech foreign voices installed on the device from new, but they obviously don't read out place names, and on the newer models you now only get ONE TTS voice - for the country you bought it in.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin foregin language pronunciation Reply with quote

Anushka wrote:
How can I get a local language voice when I am travelling? Is this something I can do on the Garmin itself or do I need to download something?

Plug the device into your computer and run Web Updater.

It will probably tell you that you have the latest OS but then asks if you would you like to download optional items.

It will give you a list of vehicles (probably) and voices, both "ordinary" and TTS, available, depending on the model. Select the voices you wish to have - French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc. - and they will be installed onto your device.

The only limit to the number you may install is the amount of free space on the device.

Then when you want a different voice, go to settings/voices on the device and select the one you want from the drop-down list.
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G300PBV wrote:
My 3790 can't even pronounce basic stuff properly. There is a road near me called Poolstock, which it pronounces as Poolstuck. Can't wait to drive to Stuckport in South Manchester.

Recently I went to Ashington in Sussex. My 765 caused no end of merriment. Instead of "Ash-ing-ton", it pronounced it "A-shing-ton".

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP says, the sat nav knows it's in a different country (after all, it's a sat nav) so why not use English for the phrases and switch to the local voice for the street names?

Annoyingly a lot of the big roads in Majorca are called Ma-xx where xx is the road number, which my 2390 insists on calling "Massachusetts xx"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: