Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live Via Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Via Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hundleton1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Live Via Help Reply with quote

Hi guys, i had a Go530 that was great for ages untill the usb port packed up was not repairable as had shorted out, i then bought a Live Via,

i am haveing trouble getting to grips with its menue, its also driving me up the wall when i miss a junction,

Problem 1: some times i know of a better road to use along my route so i may miss a turn to catch the next one ect, now on my 530 it would just recaculate the route bassed on the direction i was going normally coming to the next turn available, however the Via is hell bent on maknig me turn around, it does recaculat but everytime it wats me to take its origonal route and do a u turn. yesterday it refused to go the route i was going unless i clicked recaculate, is there any way to change this?

Problem 2: The Menue system is a knightmare compared to the 530, i am a service engineer and visit 10 or so jobs a day, i have added Navigate to postcode to the quick menue but if i want to manually put in address i have to click Menue,Change Route,Change Destination,then click Address.

also is there any way of adding home to the quick menue as i have to do the abouve to select home.

the menue system seems so much more work compared to the old ones, you cant even have numbers with the keyboard anymore, makes putting in a post code in more work than it needs to be.

Any sugestions would be great as its driving me mad, it does not need to be this hard.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop complaining..... these are IMPROVEMENTS. TomTom tell us so. Rolling Eyes

No, seriously.. I feel for you. I have an old Go940 and a new Go1000 (with a similar menu to the Via) and I will always use the 940 for preference.

However, lets look at your specific issues....

Problem 1:
I must admit I've not noticed any difference in the re-routing... both will re-calculate but will continue to tell you to turn around if the original route is the quickest. Only when it becomes better to continue the way you've decided to go, will they both agree to go your way.

Problem 2:
I know it SEEMS like more, but it's actually the same number of screen taps to get to enter a new address or postcode when a route is already entered...

On the Via, as you say, it is:
1. Tap screen to get to the Menu
2. Tap "Change route"
3. Tap "Change destination"
4. Tap "Address"
5. Start entering the postcode or address

On the Go530, it is:
2. Tap "Navigate to..."
3. Tap "Address"
4. Tap "Postcode" (or "Street and house number")
5. Start entering the postcode or address

I agree though, the old way seems simpler.

Problem 3:
There's no way to add Home to the Quick menu I'm afraid.

But do you have "Clear route" on the main menu? (I do on my Go1000, so I'm guessing it's the same on a Via).
That will be only 4 screen taps..
2. Tap "Clear route"
3. Tap "Navigate to..."
4. Tap "Home"
That's only one more tap than the old system.

Problem 4:
Yes, not having the numbers on the keyboard layout is a REAL pain.
It was done to make the buttons on the on-screen keyboard larger.

But on the Gox40 and x50 models they were clever and have different keyboard layouts at different times.
The numbers there ONLY when you definitely need them, such as when you are about to enter a postcode.
Why TomTom have got rid of that neat trick is a mystery to me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: