Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Drivers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Drivers Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following this week's headline in the Daily Mail, do you believe that slow drivers "are among most dangerous on roads"?

The Mail reports a survey of 2000 car drivers, carried out on behalf of insurer Confused.com, claiming that almost half of the UK’s motorists attempt unsafe overtaking when stuck behind a very slow vehicle. A third claim they've had an incident or near miss as a result.

Additionally, 60 percent of motorists "experience an increase in stress levels and a heightened irritability when faced with a vehicle driving slower than the rest of the traffic" and "45 percent risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident."

Though perhaps more surprisingly, 50 percent of those surveyed support the idea of introducing "slow speed cameras". The cameras would target slow motorists driving slower than the minimum designated speed limit.

The Institute of Advanced of Motorists agree that there's a problem, commenting "All forms of inconsiderate driving need to be tackled. Drivers who are unnecessarily excessively slow lead others to make rash moves."

With figures from the Transport Department showing that 143 accidents a year in the UK are caused by slow drivers, do you think it's time for the introduction of slow speed cameras?

But do we REALLY believe that we'll ever see slow speed cameras policing our roads? If so, then maybe a penalty for those caught could include a Speed Awareness Course at their nearest motor racing circuit!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I lived in Germany it was law to pull over and let the others pass if there was a queue of 10 or more vehicles behind you. Seems like something we should introduce here!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Dri Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
With figures from the Transport Department showing that 143 accidents a year in the UK are caused by slow drivers, do you think it's time for the introduction of slow speed cameras?
Although I agree with the slow driver thing, do you really think that anything will be done about stuff that causes ONLY 143 accidents per year Shocked Of course it does not make any sense to spend my money on this silly idea Rolling Eyes
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rather depends on the seriousness of those 143 accidents, the KSI level. If that's high, it's worth targetting if it can be done so cost-effectively.

I like the German law, and wish more people did it here simply as a courtesy. When I was nursing a sick car 250 miles from London to Lancashire a year or so ago I did everything I could to avoid holding others up.

Lorries indulging in "Elephant Racing" are in a similar mould. Why do they do it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Dri Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
almost half of the UK’s motorists attempt unsafe overtaking when stuck behind a very slow vehicle.

Why is it considered inherently unsafe if it is allowed in so many other places around the world?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Dri Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
almost half of the UK’s motorists attempt unsafe overtaking when stuck behind a very slow vehicle.

Why is it considered inherently unsafe if it is allowed in so many other places around the world?
Are you talking about overtaking or undertaking?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertaking.

The only thing which makes it dangerous in this country is that people are not expecting it (although these people sitting in the middle lane are usually so oblivious of other road users and the rest of the world around them they are probably dangerous to be close to in ANY circumstances).

Undertaking is perfectly legal in Australia, Canada, Germany, Hungary and Poland on certain roads and in certain circumstances, and the USA in MOST circumstances.
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rely on garbage papers like the Daily Wail to have people up in arms wanting cameras for slow driving, even though it's a completely barmy idea, unworkable and expensive. If it's that big a problem then, like with any other case of driving without due care, it needs police on the ground to stop and deal with them. It's just another of the many facets of driving with "no real idea of what's happening in the world around you", including middle-lane hogging, failing to signal, gazing at the scenery rather than the road ...

Some (many?) US States have a law that says that if you are holding up more than 5 cars because of your slow driving, then you have to pull in and let them pass. Unfortunatly, the culprits are normally too dimwitted to even be aware that they are holding up the traffic.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Need for Speed: Call For SpeedCams to Catch Slow Dri Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
A third claim they've had an incident or near miss as a result.

Sounds like a dangerous group to allow on the road

RobBrady wrote:
Additionally, 60 percent of motorists "experience an increase in stress levels and a heightened irritability when faced with a vehicle driving slower than the rest of the traffic" and "45 percent risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident."

I wonder how many of those slow vehicles were travelling at the speed limit according to their speedometer?

RobBrady wrote:
But do we REALLY believe that we'll ever see slow speed cameras policing our roads? If so, then maybe a penalty for those caught could include a Speed Awareness Course at their nearest motor racing circuit!

I think more policing by police patrols for all bad driving - slow speed cameras won't work
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of seniors were sitting around talking about all their ailments.
"My arms have gotten so weak I can hardly lift this cup of coffee," said one.
"Yes, I know," said another. "My cataracts are so bad; I can't even see my coffee."
"I couldn't even mark an "X" at election time, my hands are so crippled," volunteered a third.
"What? Speak up! What? I can't hear you!"
"I can't turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck," said a fourth, to which several nodded weakly in agreement.
"My blood pressure pills make me so dizzy!" exclaimed another.
"I forget where I am, and where I'm going," said another.
"I guess that's the price we pay for getting old," winced an old man as he slowly shook his head.
The others nodded in agreement.
"Well, count your Blessings," said a woman cheerfully - - "thank God we can all still drive"
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving Thumbs Up

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law is a prime example. Wherever he goes he does about two thirds of the prevailing speed limit whilst admiring and commenting on all manner of things by the roadside.

It's embarrassing to be in the car.

... and ... many years ago he did cause an accident on the A21 and was charged and fined for it as the other drivers all blamed him, including some not involved in the accident but as witnesses.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met a lot of slow drivers in my time. Most of them claim to have never had an accident. Seen plenty though. Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Undertaking.

Undertaking is perfectly legal in Australia, Canada, Germany, Hungary and Poland on certain roads and in certain circumstances, and the USA in MOST circumstances.

Pretty certain it's perfectly legal here too? Last time I checked (and it may have changed) the highway code said you can only undertake if traffic in the lane you are undertaking is moving slower than you are. If you are ale to pass them (undertake) then they MUST be going slower.

MaFt
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever followed a driver doing 40 on a 60 limit road and when it drops to a 30 limit - guess what? very often they continue to drive at 40 in the 30 limit! They only have one speed regardless of any other factors - and I have to say that most people driving as though they are the only car on the road are wearing a hat, normally a flat cap or trilby.

They are obviously totally unaware of anything that is happening around them, and while they may never have had an accident they have probably seen a good many.

Undertaking was legal when we lived in Australia, but it is pretty nerve racking watching out for cars overtaking on both sides of your car, and I saw a couple of accidents caused by it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: