Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Make Some Room on an XXL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Make Some Room on an XXL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Make Some Room on an XXL Reply with quote

Hi All,

First things first great Forum, been in and out for years, using my old HP PDA and TT 5 software. But that's a bit dated now, so took the plunge and bought an XXL (easier on the old eyes Wink ).

So its with this I have a question, which I tried a search on but found nothing, so apologies if this has been asked before. Obviously the XXL only has a mere 2Gb of memory and before I do any of the first map update stuff (which of course will zone it), I have backed it up and noted there are files associated with the Home Software on there which take up some space. So was thinking can I get rid of some of these not very useful Home / Install files ? And would I gain enough space for the thing not to zone the maps ?

Basically I downloaded Home from the TT website, so do I really need them on the device too ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to remove enough file to free up the required amount of storage space to avoid a zonal map when you update it.

The Home install files are not very large, you might find some space can be freed up by pruning unused voices from the voices folder.

The only way to avoid the zonal map issue is to purchase a device with a memory card slot for expansion, purchasing a device without a memory card slot is too restrictive these days - Mike
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's the same with the XL. It really annoys me that these don't have SD card slots.
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

Knew the amount of memory would be a problem before purchase, as is the speed of file transfer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

So looks like I'll be updating (or should that be downgrading) to the single Zoned map. I'm nearly always in the UK so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again,

Duz. Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have the option to download all the zones and store them on your computer, at least this saves downloading them at a later date when you want European coverage - Mike
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I have now download and updated to Europe_West map, using Home. But did note some of my POI categories / files left in the old map folder, which I just transferred across and they work, so that's good.

I like the idea of downloading the maps for use later, but I can't see exactly where I would download the remaining European zone maps, without also installing them onto the XXL and replacing the previous one ?

The options as I see it in Home are: Manage your XXL, -- Items on Device -- Maps and then select Change Map Zone.

So can I just download and NOT place them on the XXL ? As I don't believe I can get to 'Manage your XXL' without first plugging it in ? Or is there some hidden option somewhere ?

Thanks for any help,
Duz
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried copying the entire contents of your XXL to a SDHC card of 4GB or more, then sticking that in a card reader and then running HOME?

You used to be able to fool HOME and it would quite happily think the SDHC card was your TT and keep downloading all the different zoned maps on to it.

At least then you can leave it doing its stuff when you are using the XXL and you don't mess up the XXL either.

Not sure if this trick still works or not, but worth a go.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can indeed use the SDHC card trick to download all the zones but the card itself won't go in the device as its not got a memory card slot, this does let you download all the zones without having the device attached to the PC though - Mike
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one chaps,

Stupid question, I'm guessing it has to be a SDHC card or is there anything else I could use, as I have spare USB memory sticks lying around Wink ? Or is it to do with the format / type of the card ?

Also if I had a 2Gb SDHC, then surely this would act more like the XXL with its limited memory, otherwise would the Home software think I have loads of room on the "device" and download larger map files, which might cause me a problem in the future ?

Sorry for the amount of questions, just wanted to make sure I do the right thing as it sounds like I'll have to obtain an SDHC card then. Smile

Duz.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest you could use a USB memory stick, to be of any use you really need a 16GB card/ stick if you want to download all the zones available to you - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest you could use a USB memory stick, to be of any use you really need a 16GB card/ stick if you want to download all the zones available to you - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if it offers you the full map if you have too much room though, rather than the zones. I think it used to go off of the memory available, but now goes off of the model it can see from the ttgo.bif file on the device.

Mike - I am pretty sure HOME is now intelligent enough (Laughing Out Loud) to replace one zone with another, but I haven't tried for ages TBH.
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I'll go dig out some old memory sticks and see what I have. Used to fill them up with work stuff and then go buy another one, so I should have something collecting dust.

Also if it just replicates the XXL then that's good, and then I can cycle through all the zonal map downloads and installs, therefore leaving me with the zoned maps on my PC. Also I guess the transfer speed to my memory stick will be a lot quicker than to the XXL. Rolling Eyes

So I'll go give it a go and let you know how I get on. Might be a few days while I turn the house over. Smile

Many Thanks again,

Duz.
Duzza
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this worked well, thanks guys.

Got myself a plane 2Gb USB memory stick and copied the complete contents of the XXL onto it.

Then ran up TT Home software and it treated the memory stick just like the XXL was plugged in. Therefore went through the complete zonal map downloads, so now I have them all on my PC. Very Happy

When it comes to changing your zonal map, the Home software realises you already have it on your PC, therefore just does a removal of the old zone map and installs the new one, therefore no download.

And your right its a bit more than 8Gb for all the zonal maps.

Thanks again guys, top advice. Cool

Duz.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: