Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 750 voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

750 voices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But I haven't heard of any sense wires breaking for years now....
Have you?

I think it only affected early versions of the charger (around the Go Classic and Go x00 era).

I know of 3 710's which have succumbed
I think its a case of how the charger cable is treated kid gloves its ok, everyday handling not so clever
Why TomTom persist in a design which is not fail safe is beyond me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, having a sense wire that monitors the remote end of a power supply cable is not crap design, it's a perfectly normal power supply design practice.

What IS crap is not having a safe maximum the o/p voltage can rise to, or not having better overvoltage protection in the load device.

But the issue primarily in this case was crap manufacture of the chargers.

OK, so the problem may have persisted into the x10 era, but I maintain my position that it seems to have been largely solved by better quality control during manufacture.
This opinion is based purely on the fact that the issue doesn't seem to have arisen on any of the user forums for quite some time.
defi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be a crap design but it is most certainly not fail safe (which it really should be).
Whilst a sense connection at the socket sounds like a good idea, I really dont think that the voltage drop across the cable would ever amount to more than the odd mV. I have modified 10 or so of these chargers without issue and they all now "sense" directly from the cicuit board.
I agree with you regarding protection on the device itself, its not really very clever design.
I have owned a TomTom since around 2 weeks after the initial launch, been all over Europe with it (still have it and it still works Very Happy ). Until yesterday, I used a One v2 every day, I like its compactness and ease of use, I upgraded to the 750 (another fairly compact unit), mainly for the hands free feature. I think that it is such a shame that TomTom let themselves down in some areas (which with a little thought could easily be overcome), when generally the product is very good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: