Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - French Speed camera warning signs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

French Speed camera warning signs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotch_Al
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: French Speed camera warning signs Reply with quote

It was recently reported - in the press and in certain forums on this site - that the French government has instructed the heads of the various regions to dismantle/remove the signs that give warning about 400m ahead of radar-operated cameras. Soon afterwards, the government added the proviso that the regional authorities, on removing the said panels, must immediately replace them with "information radars" i.e. the kind of sign that flashes your speed to warn you if you're exceeding it.

Obviously that's going to be expensive - not to mention the difficulties of getting stocks of the equipment - which could be why, on a run down from Luxembourg to Alsace this weekend (between Strasbourg and Colmar), I saw that all the warning signs are still in place on motorways and dual-carriageways. Given the difficulties mentioned, I think they MIGHT be there for a while yet ...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: French Speed camera warning signs Reply with quote

Scotch_Al wrote:
Obviously that's going to be expensive - not to mention the difficulties of getting stocks of the equipment.
Typical! And I bet they make them in France and don't buy them from another EU country like we do our trains. Shocked Smile
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a run to Switzerland and I found a few had been removed, so be careful out there!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Typical! And I bet they make them in France and don't buy them from another EU country like we do our trains.
And who's to blame here? ... as always, our own lawmakers, administrators and legal system.

If the UK just handled the EU 'properly', as France, Germany etc do, instead of being naive (like the rigid value-for-money criteria they set for the train procurement) or overbearing (like the extra rules they add for us all to follow when implementing EU stuff, such as Health & Safety), I'm sure we could do the same as the rest - use the rules when they protect our interests, and break (sorry, 're-interpret') them when they don't. France do occasionally get a fine, but I don't think they often pay up anyway.

Twisted Evil Rant Over For Now Laughing .
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the point that I was making. But more fully explained Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it but there is nothing in either French or German law that says that the French must buy either a Citroen, Peugeot or Renault or the Germans a BMW, Merc, Audi, or VW etc. I just think that they are more patriotic/nationalistic than we are.

When you are driving in either of these countries on your travels, you'll see what I mean.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche, mon ami, M8TJT Embarassed - but nice to know I'm not alone!

True what you say AliOnHols, but that's not all. I remember trying to get a bid in on an Italian job decades ago, and they played exactly the same 'Social Criteria' cards as the French do, but that we haven't just done with the trains; we never got a look in. Seems to take forever for us Brits to learn anything. Anyway, before upsetting the management, I'd better let this topic get back O(N)TT now. Shocked
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just think that they are more patriotic/nationalistic than we are.

So which truly British car would you suggest we buy? Sad

Remember the 'Dagenham Dustbins'? Remember the strikes when the sun came out.

Remember the 'Austin Allegro'? As above, one out, all out.

Remember the first Datsun's to arrive, cheap and cheerful and the reputation of them so bad they renamed them Nissan, but it was the start of Jap invation, and look where they are now, most reliable according to statistics.

But getting back on track, the real speed traps in France are the ones where the Gendarms use an old Renault or Citroen 'corrigated' van, somtimes jacked up with a wheel off, with a camera in the back. You pass what you think is a broken down old van and .........vous êtes entaillé
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original snipe was about the Government insisting on cheapest and spendong £millions abroad at the whim of the EU and 'let's be fair' warriors, regardless of the fact that the choice would possibly put people out of a job at Bombadier, and not whether us Brits should buy British cars (even if you could find one)
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite fancy the resurrected Morgan 3-wheeler. They were around a lot when I was young [sigh], then they were cheap, now they look more fun. Here.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Scotch_Al
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiments stated above.

What the UK gov't seems to do is think only of the purchase cost, whereas other member-states like France and Germany factor in the potential economic cost of NOT buying at home.

The UK gov't might pay less for their newly-ordered trains, but I bet when they add on the cost of unemployment / social-security benefits for all those about to be thrown on the scrap heap it'll suddenly get a lot higher - not to mention the social cost to those poor sods themselves.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
I quite fancy the resurrected Morgan 3-wheeler. They were around a lot when I was young [sigh], then they were cheap, now they look more fun. Here.

FUN, Health and safety nightmare more like! It's got no bumper for a start. After Brussels get their teeth into it, it'll have four wheels and look more like a Renult Espace. Hmm. Rolling Eyes

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: