Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can a TomTom do this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a TomTom do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often find myself in areas or turn into country roads when I'm not 100% sure what the limit is until I see a sign.
I'm sure you know, but for 30 you need either a 30mph sign OR lamp posts closish together (can't remember the exact distance, and anyway, don't normally have my tape measure with me Razz !

If you don't have that then it's down to the national limits for single and dual/motorway roads. Unless of course, there IS a sign but you don't spot it Twisted Evil !

If your Sony DOES have speed limit info, place it more in your line of sight (carefully!) - as I said earlier, if you're reasonably observant, there won't be many occasions where you might get caught out, by no signs AND duff speed limit info.

Of course, you could also say to your bosses that you believe that their speed limit data will sometimes be wrong, and could you have a journey logger to record what speed you were ACTUALLY doing, such as a RoadHawk (though from what you have posted, I'm not sure whether that is you ideal solution Cool ).
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A previous employer of mine tried a similar system on their fleet of vans.

The map data was not accurate enough to give them useful reports, they received masses of data each week saying that every vehicle was breaking the speed limits at some point in the day. This was due to errors in the map data.

The employer did not advertise the fact that the system they had installed was effectively useless at monitoring speeding. They relied on fear of the system amongst drivers to keep road speeds down.

The van users who tried to use standard car TomTom's to give an over speed warning soon discovered that the TomTom does not give an audible warning for the lower speed limits which apply to vans.

I expect that the employer in this case will quietly give up on trying to act on the inaccurate data. Perhaps they should concentrate on designing extendible hoses that don't keep breaking! Evil or Very Mad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Perhaps they should concentrate on designing extendible hoses that don't keep breaking! Evil or Very Mad
And ones that are as flexible and extendible as the original ones thay made. Or perhaps they have made them pretty much unusable now as they used to keep on breaking Shocked
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... or make sure the next fleet of vans they buy have Cruise Control. Not so useful around town but a real boon out and about. Set it once and more or less forget about it.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: