Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dreaded 1001 has struck
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaded 1001 has struck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a week's holiday, but no reply from TomTom yet regarding return/repair/replacement of my 740 LIVE, but I will keep you posted when I do have more info.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I use it on the iPhone4 and to be honest its no worse than a Live equipped PND, better still since the release of the iPhone app from TomTom there have been new maps and updated apps every three or four months all free of charge (no map update charges) although whether this will continue is anyones guess. The Live services such as Google and HD Traffic are cheaper than a Live PND because with the iPhone app you are already paying for the data connection as part of your iPhone contract.

No issue with the GPS receiver in the iPhone4 and it doesn't need an external GPS built in to a car mount, unlike the earlier iPhones which weren't very good from my experiance

Your iPhone needs to be powered from the car in order to use any GPS related nav app as they are very power hungry when in use, I use a Brodit active holder for mine.

For PGPSW cameras you have a couple of choices, put the CamerAlert app on your iPhone and run that in the background with TomTom on the screen or load the camera files to the iPhone app as detailed in the sticky thread located in the Apple Software forum section of this site.

If you want to load other POI files then it is possible but you need to convert the icon to true png file type and they display better on the iPhone4 if resized to 44x44.

The speaker volume can be a bit of an issue depending upon how loud your car is when driving, I play the whole lot through the car speakers using a Bluetooth A2DP system called iO-Play, works a treat - Mike

Hi Mike

A couple of questions on this;

What is the cost of the HD Traffic, in iTunes the info is truncated and obscured?

Can you take elements of Live services separately or do you have to take the lot? I don't want or need TT speed cameras, but Google and HD Traffic I would want.

I have tried to understand the process of getting Poi’s onto the iPhone, but lost the plot part way through. Is it a one off tedious conversion process, then on-going an easy and quick update process?
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a replacement 940 back from tomtom today after suffering the 1001 error.
Is it possible to transfer my map corrections from my old 940 to my new one and if so could anyone advise which files they are.
As an aside this is a second replacement unit after the first device would not receive live services via my account and tomtom had to put me on an embedded subscription also this time it had to be sent to the Netherlands rather than Scotland for attention.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finally received a replacement 740 Live from TomTom; looking at it I think it is a repaired or refurbished unit; the sticker on the bottom which hides the sim card slot was slightly adrift. The on/off button does not "click" like all the previous units I've had and it is loaded with map version 810, so pretty out of date! Also they transferred my live services from the old unit, but this expired during the repair time, so it's actually come back with no active live services. Connected it to Home and the only updates it offered are Fuel prices and Mobile Phone Connection!?*! No LMG unfortunately. I'm not sure now whether I'll keep it as a spare or sell it.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
Today I finally received a replacement 740 Live from TomTom; looking at it I think it is a repaired or refurbished unit; the sticker on the bottom which hides the sim card slot was slightly adrift. The on/off button does not "click" like all the previous units I've had and it is loaded with map version 810, so pretty out of date! Also they transferred my live services from the old unit, but this expired during the repair time, so it's actually come back with no active live services. Connected it to Home and the only updates it offered are Fuel prices and Mobile Phone Connection!?*! No LMG unfortunately. I'm not sure now whether I'll keep it as a spare or sell it.

Sounds like a bit of a poor show!

Didn't you back up your old device and its contents before returning it?
If so, shouldn't you be able to revert to that version of the map?
Otherwise I would be contacting them to argue the toss on that one, seems a con that they can fob you off with an older map than what you already had.

I'm almost certain of switching to iPhone TomTom now and trying to obtain a replacement 740, which I will eBay. Front of my 740 looks a bit tatty now, so would assume any refurb would look better.

I have raised a support ticket with them for my 1001 error, the response I got asked me to perform an enormous amount of activities FOR THEM, I moaned to them that I didn't see why I should be doing the work for them.
They replied saying I could return the unit to them if it was easier for "repair"

My concern is that the problem I get with live services is intermittent and sods law it would behave perfectly for them.
Not sure if i want to go to the trouble of returning it to them, just for them to send it back saying it works OK!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
I moaned to them that I didn't see why I should be doing the work for them.
They replied saying I could return the unit to them if it was easier for "repair"
-------
Not sure if i want to go to the trouble of returning it to them, just for them to send it back saying it works OK!

Bit of a Catch 22 situation there? Twisted Evil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
What is the cost of the HD Traffic, in iTunes the info is truncated and obscured?

The Live service are purchased from directly within the app:
One Month costs £3:99
Twelve Months costs £26:99

adobbing wrote:
Can you take elements of Live services separately or do you have to take the lot? I don't want or need TT speed cameras, but Google and HD Traffic I would want.

Its all or nothing, to be honest I remove the TomTom camera files from the iPhone app using DiskAid so I don't get double warnings.

adobbing wrote:
I have tried to understand the process of getting Poi’s onto the iPhone, but lost the plot part way through. Is it a one off tedious conversion process, then on-going an easy and quick update process?

It is a one off operation to load the files in to the app, for the weekly updates you simply copy the ov2 files from the download in to the app using DiskAid to overwrite the existing database.

If loading the PGPSW database to the TomTom iPhone app looks to involved consider the other approach which is to use the PGPSW CamerAlert app as that looks after all the downloading and installing data within the app and is easier to use from the perspective of file installation - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
adobbing wrote:
I moaned to them that I didn't see why I should be doing the work for them.
-------

Bit of a Catch 22 situation there? Twisted Evil

Yes. the catch 22 is that I know the unit has a fault, it old it me it did!

The problem is that I don't really want to factory reset and wipe the thing as they asked, because it would take me ages to re-install all my POI's and set up the warnings for the PGPSW cameras again.

I will probably just wait until it does it again and take photos to prove it.

To give you an idea of what they were asking me to do, I copied it into a word doc and it ran to 7 pages and contained 1,256 words!
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
adobbing wrote:

The Live service are purchased from directly within the app:
One Month costs £3:99
Twelve Months costs £26:99

adobbing wrote:

Its all or nothing, to be honest I remove the TomTom camera files from the iPhone app using DiskAid so I don't get double warnings.

adobbing wrote:

It is a one off operation to load the files in to the app, for the weekly updates you simply copy the ov2 files from the download in to the app using DiskAid to overwrite the existing database.

If loading the PGPSW database to the TomTom iPhone app looks to involved consider the other approach which is to use the PGPSW CamerAlert app as that looks after all the downloading and installing data within the app and is easier to use from the perspective of file installation - Mike

Thanks Mike!

If I chose to take the DiskAid route, can you set up warnings for the PGPSW cameras from within the app like on an actual TomTom device?

I use the full database for UK and also Europe with individual warnings for both.

Does it have some kind of mapsettings.cfg type file to store the settings?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You load the mapsettings.cfg file to your app thats in the download from the instruction page which is one I created for demo purposes, you cannot currently configure POI warnings from within the TomTom app its about the only thing missing when compared to a PND.
The demo mapsettings.cfg currently includes settings for spoken alerts for just the UK speed zoned database and excludes the pMobiles - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You load the mapsettings.cfg file to your app thats in the download from the instruction page which is one I created for demo purposes, you cannot currently configure POI warnings from within the TomTom app its about the only thing missing when compared to a PND.
The demo mapsettings.cfg currently includes settings for spoken alerts for just the UK speed zoned database and excludes the pMobiles - Mike

Mike

This is starting to get interesting!
Can you use an existing mapsettings.cfg file from a PND?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

Indeed, thats where the mapsettings,cfg file in the zip download came from it needs to be a PND using an IQ Routes_2 map though - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
adobbing wrote:

Indeed, thats where the mapsettings,cfg file in the zip download came from it needs to be a PND using an IQ Routes_2 map though - Mike

I see, I assume that would exclude one from a GO740 live or an XL Live Europe?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either of the devices you suggest would be fine to create a mapsettings.cfg file for the iPhone app - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Either of the devices you suggest would be fine to create a mapsettings.cfg file for the iPhone app - Mike

Excellent!
I also have an old ONE XL and a very basic TomTom One, lying around doing nothing. Would either of these work if I were to get rid of one of the newer devices?

Is there a list of compatible TT devices and whether they produce the file using a suitable IQ Routes_2 format?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: