Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or on the M6 Toll Surprised
And before anyone berates me for this, this isn't a comment on my speed on the M6 Toll, but some people seem to think speed limits don't apply if it is a Toll road.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
... or on the M6 Toll Surprised
And before anyone berates me for this, this isn't a comment on my speed on the M6 Toll, but some people seem to think speed limits don't apply if it is a Toll road.

Some places they don't - the Nurburgring for example Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just point out that this 50 mile limit on HD traffic is NOT recent, most certainly not a few days ago. We were discussing it several months ago. See here. My post on page two shows my 550 Live was doing the 50 miles limit back in February.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Can I just point out that this 50 mile limit on HD traffic is NOT recent, most certainly not a few days ago. We were discussing it several months ago. See here. My post on page two shows my 550 Live was doing the 50 miles limit back in February.
Thanks Dennis, i was beginning to think it was only me that remembered that. I noticed it on my 540 around mid Jan and it didn't coincide with a Navcore update. It did coincide with me noticing that HD traffic was now more detailed. I think Andy P responded to this on the YourTomTom forum (my alter ego is Lowflyer on there). Also it doesn't make any difference whether I'm on 8.371 or 9.058, the range is the same.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems possible that they have increased the frequency of HD traffic updates, and the amount of information, without increasing the the overall data quantity limits, so same quantity but has to apply to a smaller area?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Seems possible that they have ......

I have stopped speculating on what tomtom have done or not done and why. As they never answer questions on any of these matters, it seems pointless to try and second guess them. Rolling Eyes

My general fallguy for all the TT woes is the managing director's favourite 17th daughter (or 48th granddaughter) with a penchant for having daddy/grandaddy change her device and do the same with every other one in production. He sometimes lets her write programs and design new devices - I think she took over the entire lot with the 100Xs, case, innards, programs and MyTomTom.

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

My general fallguy for all the TT woes is the managing director's favourite 17th daughter (or 48th granddaughter) with a penchant for having daddy/grandaddy change her device and do the same with every other one in production. He sometimes lets her write programs and design new devices - I think she took over the entire lot with the 100Xs, case, innards, programs and MyTomTom.

I'm guessing she’s be the one that learnt to program at Vtech & Tomy Rolling Eyes
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Thanks Dennis - I did say it could have been me being cynical a few times!

Regardless of when it happened, it seems to be Navcore independent.

As a test, when leaving work tonight I did the Mike A trick of watching the map when the traffic data was downloaded. To my surprise it didn't get just South of Birmingham as I thought - I could see incidents in central London were downloaded, then the device just threw away everything that was south of Stoke - Loughborough. The only reason I can think they do this is to increase the speed of the routing calculation as it only takes in to account data within 50 miles??

Either way, it didn't used to be like that - be it a few days ago or 6 months ago that the change happened. Shame I have been absent from here for the last year as my XLLIVE has been flawless for the best part of a year (apart from the odd reboot), and I have just renewed my LIVE Services Crying or Very sad If I had paid a bit more attention I would have realised the functionality had been reduced and would have thought twice about renewing! Then again, what half decent alternative is there apart from Radio 5?????
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Seems possible that they have increased the frequency of HD traffic updates, and the amount of information, without increasing the the overall data quantity limits, so same quantity but has to apply to a smaller area?

It appears that the data is downloaded in the first update after power on and then just discarded or ignored by the device.

What happens on subsequent updates, I don't know.

As to why, I'm with Dennis and the 48th granddaughter.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Then again, what half decent alternative is there apart from Radio 5?????

Hmm. I have (running simultaneously) GO520T with RDS-TMC windscreen aerial, Carminat with RDS-TMC through van aerial, GO550 Live with HD traffic and Radio Five. It can get noisy at times! Laughing All four of them often disagree.

I cannot swear it on oath, because when I first got HD Traffic I was so sceptical that I paid it little heed, but I guess it did have much further coverage originally. I remember I started to get a little more interested one day when it was the only one of the four to warn me of a closure on the M3 a very long way (90 miles?) ahead (Radio Five confirmed it 15 minutes later).

I long ago concluded that no traffic system is perfect, and never can be, so I regard them all with caution. But I also concluded that TT's HD Traffic was the best of the lot. So it's a real bummer that they have crippled it like this. I don't know what can be done about it - my personal experience of TT leads me to expect nothing from them. I shall hope that Falkirk's approach to TomTom will do the trick and I look forward to his report of what they have to say. But I fear he may have far more faith than I. Rolling Eyes

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it either Dennis. As you know, I don't hold TT in high regard after all the pain we went through with RDS-TMC until they finally got it working - first of all the antenna didn't work, then they broke the Navcore so every delay was 1 minute IIRC and denied it for months until Mike A and I did a whole load of screenshots and lengthy threads on here about it.

Life is too short to start all over again with this gripe about HD Traffic. Shame really, as it was brilliant, now it is usless for anyone who does long distance commercial travelling.

Come on Falkirk - over to you! I am happy to provide screenshots etc but just can't be bothered to go to the lengths we had to go to to get RDS-TMC working in the UK. And did we get any thanks from TT for pointing out that their product had an inherent fault - not one bit, we were just seen as winging punters.

Who fancies bombarding good ole Harold with letters of complaint Laughing Out Loud?????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'm not getting onto good ole Harold either, but I will start taking screenshots of 520T and 550Live to show differences. I guess it's not beyond belief that Falkirk might come back saying TT claim to have never heard of it before and is there any evidence, so maybe all is not yet lost.

As you say "Over to you Falkirk".

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody still reading, welcome to the Dennis 'n' Andy thread Laughing Out Loud

I am going to get screenshots of it discarding data all the way down to London within a second of HD Traffic loading the incidents if I can. Be interesting to see if I can also get a sidebar shot showing incidents magically disappearing.

HD Traffic brought to you by Tommy Cooper - now you see it, now you don't
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could video it, y'know, sort of moving pictures of stuff moving, not like that, like that! Maybe I will with my super new video camera, I'm going to London tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll take my super new iPad 2 and load up TT's Route Planner at the same time? I'll have to drive off round the corner from my pickup point first in case they wonder if I'm ever going to set off! Knowing my luck, there won't be any traffic problems tomorrow!!!

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Knowing my luck, there won't be any traffic problems tomorrow!!!

Right - you did say tomorrow morning, not the middle of the night?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 6 of 27

Jump to: