Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM GO LIVE 1000 to buy or not to buy.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM GO LIVE 1000 to buy or not to buy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM GO LIVE 1000 to buy or not to buy. Reply with quote

I've always been pleased with my pre-wheel tomtom but owing to a possible £50 'amnesty' on old sat navs I have considered weighing it in against the tt go live 1000. There are however two principal areas of concern that keep me from taking the plunge, perhaps you guys could help me with my dilemma.

Firstly, I understand that getting one of these out of the box from first activation it comes with a years free subscription to tt live whereupon an annual subscription needs to be taken out in order to benefit from live services such as HD Traffic. Can this Tomtom be used 'normally' without the expense of said subscription.?

..and Secondly, has Tomtom allowed third party POI's yet, or is it still at the honest guv, we will let you use them soon stage, and if the latter is the case.. is this gospel? The reason I ask is that I personally find pgps's speedcamera database particularly handy in my line of work (not that I get the chance to go that fast these days anyway), and feel with their regular updates that it is liable to be a much more accurate database.

ta muchly in advance..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to both questions are yes, would I purchase one NO

Inability to back up the unit and control what is loaded to it is my main gripe with these new units - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can load PGPSW database on to the new range with ease, and yes it can be used after the initial free 12 month period without a Live subscription (accepting you will lose HD Traffic, Google Search, etc.)

Would I buy one? Yes, today it would be my sat nav of choice STILL - some 8 months on from release (although may have gone for a 1005 which are about the same price now)

Its the best sat nav in my opinion and wide use of Garmin, Navigon and Navman systems - all up to date models

It has it faults (poor map data for lane guidance being its worst fault)

Not being able to "control" what goes on to the unit doesn't seem relevant - it is as simple as if you don't want TomTom updates, you can choose not to update. But why would you? After all they have brought in improvements and new features all without pain this year with more to come
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, now that we can add POIs, voices, map colour schemes etc. (although the yanks can't yet!) it is a much more attractive proposition.

And once you've experienced the incredible speed of the routing algorithm, any other TomTom seems really slow.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence with this.

You'll get from A to B easily with clear instructions and a nice large screen, computer voice very good.

Quite easy to install third party POI's and PGPSW cameras.

Having only one via allowed, at the moment, is a bit of a pain on longer journeys where two or more are needed. After arriving at the first stop you have to find next via and enter again, and again for the next etc.

£50 off appears to be a good deal until you realise they have dropped from the initial £199.99 by £40 or £50 if you Google around. Stores often try it on by saying e.g. £199.99 RRP, less £50 for your old device, only £149.99. Then find on line you can get one near to or the same as that and keep your existing one.

I only use my TT a couple of times a week on days out and about and for holidays so won't be subscribing to HD traffic etc when my free year is up.

You've had a 'No' and a 'Yes', my opinion is carry on with your existing unit for a while longer to see if TT come up with more features.

Edit (I took so long typing I've just noticed it's 2 to 1 in favour).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: