Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which lane to drive in! (city driving)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which lane to drive in! (city driving)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stateofplay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Which lane to drive in! (city driving) Reply with quote

I am moving to a new city and will be doing a lot of driving at peak times around the city centre.

I am just wondering if there are any particular models you would reccomend for lane positioning in respect of busy city roads?

i.e. are there any advanced lane guidance features that actually show the splits in the lanes and mark which lane you should be driving down in graphic form for standard roads?
(like this for example - http://www.pocket-lint.com/review-gallery/4457/navigon-8410-3d-satnav-review/18#image )

(I know the Navigon does this put I would much prefer to buy the Tomtom Live 1000 - not least because it is much cheaper than Navigones equivalent!)

Thanks in advance.
Cool
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my GO 1000 if there are multiple lanes near a junction it displays arrows at the bottom of the screen, so if there are 6 lanes, you get 6 arrows and the ones that are highlighted are the ones you should be using, but you don't get the virtual reality images as you do on the motorways.

All TomTom's will be the same, as they all use the same maps near enough.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive in the outside lane all the time. It seems to work for everyone else Exclamation
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
Drive in the outside lane all the time. It seems to work for everyone else Exclamation
Especially if you want to turn left Shocked Off Topic Stop!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane navigation is one of my favourite Sat Nav features (being one in the wrong lane being one of my worst driving habits!!!)

Clarity of junction, route and turn view is best on my TomTom (GO1000), is pretty awful on my Navigon 4350 and okay on my Garmin 2410

However, in my experience TomTom's lane guidance (whilst very clear and easy to read at a glance) falls down on poor map information regarding lane data

Navigon's Active Lane Guidance is an excellent idea, but simply not clear enough for at a glance reliance - but it has potential (they need to chance colour scheme and simplify)

So whilst currently not a huge fan of their units (poor perspective, poor routing compared to Navigon and TomTom), their benefit from clear lane indicators (like TomTom but not quite as good), BUT with superb map lane data

Now, if I could only merge all three....
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: