Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - binatone g500 poi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

binatone g500 poi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emptysporran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: binatone g500 poi Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone tell me how I go about installing poi`s on a binatone g500. I have recently purchased it and want to use my old TT poi file as I have about 950 locations that I want to have on the g500. I have no idea where they are or what format they should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

ta

emptysporran
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the Binatone is running iGo navigation software?

I ask that because the PGPSW camera database is just a collection of POI files and the compatibility table for it here says that it can be used on Binatone models "so long as they are running iGo software and not one of the others used by Binatone. (If you need help to determine this then check or ask in our iGO forum)".

If it *is* running iGo, it looks like you need to convert the files to .txt format (a utility like POIEdit should be able to do that for you) and then try using the speedcam installation instructions here.

You probably wont want to use the Binatone's \Flash Disk\igo\poi\speedcam folder, so maybe they go in \Flash Disk\igo\poi or another sub-folder of it.

Without seeing the device and it's file structure, I'm afraid I can't be more specific, but it looks like you should be able to sort it out with a few experiments if no-one with more detailed knowledge comes along.

Good luck, and please tell us how you get on (or if you get stuck!)

Andy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If it *is* running iGo, it looks like you need to convert the files to .txt format (a utility like POIEdit should be able to do that for you) and then try using the speedcam installation instructions
Or you could download the igo database (single file, all cams). It's already in the correct .txt format with directional info Very Happy

Andy_P wrote:
You probably wont want to use the Binatone's \Flash Disk\igo\poi\speedcam folder, so maybe they go in \Flash Disk\igo\poi or another sub-folder of it.
The text file does not go in the POI folder, but in FlashDisk/{or internal memory} iGO8\CONTENT\SPEEDCAM. When you restart it the first time, it will appear to 'hang' on 'INITIALLISING SAFETY CAM' (or something like that) for up to about 30 seconds.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like there are 2 versions of the g500:

1)

and 2:

neither, to me at least, look like they run iGO. perhaps if you can let us know which it looks like then we may be able to work out what software it's running and what your options are?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
neither, to me at least, look like they run iGO.
Nor me MaFt. The only similarity, unless it has been radically re-skinned, is the car position icon on your first picture Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
If it *is* running iGo, it looks like you need to convert the files to .txt format (a utility like POIEdit should be able to do that for you) and then try using the speedcam installation instructions
Or you could download the igo database (single file, all cams). It's already in the correct .txt format with directional info :grin.

Except the OP wasn't asking for speed cameras... just general POIs. Cool

So I was suggesting he used the INSTRUCTIONS for loading camera POIs as the method would be the same or similar, except maybe the folder they went into.

All a bit academic now though, if that model doesn't use iGo.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Except the OP wasn't asking for speed cameras... just general POIs. Cool
So he was. Quack Quack Oops Embarassed
Andy_P wrote:
I ask that because the PGPSW camera database is just a collection of POI files and the compatibility table for it ...
But it was this that fooled me into thinking he was talking speed cams. Very Happy
In which case POI ordinaire go in iGO8\Content\Userdata\POI as .kml files, but be aware that not all .kml files work correctly but I don't know why.
But as you say, it's all a bit academic.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Shall we draw a line under all this as we've probably confused the hell out of 'emptysporran'!

Starting again...
emptysporran, is there any mention in the user manual of "third-party POIs" or "user POIs"? Have you found anywhere in the menus to add your own POI categories?

There are quite a few units (especially the car manufacturers built-in units) where you CANNOT add your own POIs at all, but hopefully this isn't one of them.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and also, in the help/about/settings options on the satnav is there any mention of copyrights other than binatones? maybe Nav N Go / NNG / Turbo Dog?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: