Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Value TomTom vs Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Value TomTom vs Garmin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Best Value TomTom vs Garmin Reply with quote

It is time for a new Sat Nav and am wondering what would be best for me. I am not a professional driver and only make a few long journeys a year when I found my old Sat Nav invaluable although its lack of many features. For local trips where I know the roads and where I am going I don’t bother. I did rent a car in Jersey last year and may drive in Europe sometime in the future.

Things such as full postcode entry, lane guidance and traffic alerts would be very useful. Been able to check the route the Sat Nav chooses and alter it would also be useful. Choosing the most economical route for petrol could be a massive cost saver as petrol prices over time can only go in one direction. Not so worried about speed cameras but been given a warning would be nice.

I am looking at the Garmin vs TomTom systems.

More Garmin models seem to offer European maps as standard. Some models such as the Garmin Nuvi 1490 comes with a premium lifetime traffic subscription for the UK and other European countries plus traffic receiver. But is it any good? You can also get life time maps from Amazon for around £60 which if you were keeping it 4-5 years could be seen as reasonable.

The TomTom IQ system seems powerful but how much does it cost a year? Maps at around £20 a year mean that it is equivalent to keeping the Garmin system for just three years.

I suspect many buyers in my situation get something on offer in the summer sales and think about upgrading the map on it or get a new one after about three to four years.

(I have posted this in the Garmin section to get input from garmin users)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the TomTom Go-750 Live from Amazon, these come with latest Map Guarantee and 12 months Live services (incl HD Traffic) after the 12 months are up its up to you whether you continue to use the subscription based service or simply let it expire and use te nav unit without the connected services.
The Go-750 Live is supplied with European maps, to get the full Europe map for your first update will require a 4GB MicroSDHC (Class 6 type) memory card as the new map is too large to fit on the installed memory, the alternate to the full map is to install a zonal map which will fit the internal strorage albeit with reduced area coverage.

More modern TomTom devices tend to require the use of the "MyTomTom" web based interface which still doesn't work fully, I would avoid models based around the MyTomTom interface until they get it fully working - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
More modern TomTom devices tend to require the use of the "MyTomTom" web based interface which still doesn't work fully, I would avoid models based around the MyTomTom interface until they get it fully working - Mike

Mike, When you say this, are you taking into account the recent improvements to MyTomTom - Content Transfer Assistant, and Add Community Content? If so, what are the outstanding issues?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple FACT you can't back up the device to the PC or re-install a back up is enough for me not to want to go anywhere near one to be honest - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'd almost decided to go trade up, but I hadn't realised that backups & restores were still to be sorted out. I'll hang on!
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

That has got the debate going for TomTom with an admission their PC software is not as good as it could be.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help having used TomTom products for quite a number of years the release of the newer Nav3 devices from TomTom (the units that use the MyTomTom interface) I decided to purchase a Garmin, ok the unit I got is top of the range and connects to the cars OBD-II diagnostic socket but it wasn't cheap, the Garmin isn't 100% but in use I rather like the display and navigation options - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, the main reason I was considering upgrading - and remaining with TomTom - was the HD Traffic facility. I'm currently driving the same route every day (Solihull-Milton Keynes) and while I wouldn't need to use a device for navigation, it is really helpful for advising of traffic delays and alternative routes.

I know that the x50 series would offer me this improvement, I have a nagging feeling that it's old technology, and won't be supported in full for much longer - just like my existing 520.

I'll stick where I am until I see a model that is fully supported in terms of POIs, backups and HD Traffic, along with a feeling that it will also benefit from future software updates.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x50 vs 520.
I run a 550 Live and a 520T side by side.

550 Live traffic is far superior to 520 RDS-TMC traffic, with one let-down - the HD traffic only shows to a radius of about 50-60 miles so you don't see the full journey at the start of a longer one. It does update as you travel though.

I keep the 520 because it is so much faster to get a route and to recalculate a route on the fly. By comparison, the 550 is like paint drying. I'm told it's because it is checking traffic all over again - fine, but in the meantime I'm drumming my fingers either waiting for Christmas or panicking desperately because I'm in a slow moving traffic jam needing to know where my next turn is.

As for support, I think you'll still be able to get updated maps for a long time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrnemo wrote:
I have posted this in the Tom Tom section to be fair.

Have you read the forum rules? You should not make duplicate posts. You now have answers in two different places Confused
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed of calculation on the x50 was another of the reasons for not going for one of those. I realise that map updates would still be available - it was software changes that I was thinking of; they have stopped releasing new versions for the 520, and I suspect that the x50 will go the same way now that they seem to be concentrating on Nav3.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts moved from mrnemo's other thread in the Garmin section....

Kremmen wrote:
I had this dilemma recently and what swung it for me was that some of the newer cheaper TomTom's had no third party POI support. I think the giveaway for these units is the 'simplified menu' statement.

I understand TT are now correcting this on some models but I wasn't prepared to chance it.

I ended up with a Garmin 2200 which is solely being used as a SCD so a small unit was preferable.

So far quite pleased with it. Would have liked more volume without it distorting though.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I've had a 1490 for some time now and can't fault it. The free traffic has generally been pretty accurate, and the device has worked flawlessly since I got it.

I do a fair bit of route planning using Garmins Mapsource program, and I know those with the 2xxx series models have had various problems with routes/downloading from Mapsource, that for me rules them out at the mo.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mrnemo wrote:
I have posted this in the Tom Tom section to be fair.

Have you read the forum rules? You should not make duplicate posts. You now have answers in two different places Confused

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

I think in this sort of situation, it's understandable... If you post in the Garmin section, you are likely to get replies from Garmin lovers, and similarly if you post in the TomTom section!

What I'll do is move both topics into the "Beginner's section as that's where most queries about what to buy get posted.
Unfortunately I can't merge the topics, but I'll copy ther replies from one to the other.

(Done! Smile )

If it's of any interest - so far there had been 10 replies in the TomTom section and only 4 inthe Garmin (of which two were M8TJT's post and my reply)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: