Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade time... But which one?!???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade time... But which one?!???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie555 wrote:
Does anyone know if the home issues with 1000/1005 have been resolved, ie backups and loading third party poi, and are there any issues with the 120 using home.

I have the 1005, as previous posters have said it is not yet possible to back up your 1000/1005 at all.
You are currently able to easily load third party poi's to the 1000 range, multiple files can be loaded at the same time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
I have a GO 950 and GO 1000. Much prefer the 950. The Home application for the 1000 is too flakey still, not reliable, and there is NO way to make a backup if something goes wrong.

The 1000 is indeed faster, but I also dislike the new screen where only a finger works. The 950 I can use a pen, which is great for all the mapshare corrections I submit!

Ditto!

I have access to a Go1000 and a Go950, but actually I stick with my Go940 for preference, because of all the extras it has (especially the light sensor, the mp3 player and the text reader)

Another thing I hate on the new models is that you cannot even just dim the screen at night time. You HAVE to switch to a night colour scheme as well.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the 1000 (or 1005 if you want larger screen) BECAUSE of its touch screen (cappactive is just too slow and unresponsive), because of it s clarity and speed

Any you may not yet be able to do a back-up of the devise (you can of your POIs), as an owner for many years of a Navman, TomTom, Garmin and Navigon devices apart from one Garmin (765T with software issues), I've never had a device fail apart from fail completely (ie. back up would be useless anyway), so for me that's not an issue I even think about, or one I would use if it were there

Think about it, if you can back up your POIs and Favourites what else on an your sat nav that wouldn't be on a replacement unit? Or am I missing something?

Either way, the new series of the TomToms are great, whatever model you fancy - just cannot see a reason to buy a previous model (unless you see them at a bargain price or already have one, and then no real reason to upgrade either)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Any you may not yet be able to do a back-up of the devise (you can of your POIs), as an owner for many years of a Navman, TomTom, Garmin and Navigon devices apart from one Garmin (765T with software issues), I've never had a device fail apart from fail completely (ie. back up would be useless anyway), so for me that's not an issue I even think about, or one I would use if it were there

Think about it, if you can back up your POIs and Favourites what else on an your sat nav that wouldn't be on a replacement unit? Or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something. I can only speak for TomTom, but I'm guessing other manufacturers are similar. It's far from unknown for a device to fail during a map or software update, and the easiest way to get it working again quickly is to restore the backup you should have taken before you started the upgrade.

Or, a software upgrade could introduce a "feature" that you're not happy with, and reverting to a previous version is preferable to living with the new feature.

There are very few regular contributors to this site who would even contemplate making any changes to their device without having a full backup available first.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've took the plunge... After much debate I've gone for the Via Live 120. After doing a comparison (flicking between browser windows ;) ) apart from capacitive touch screen, active dock and gestures I just couldn't see anything else that sold the 1000/1005 as being better. Especially as I could order an active dock from TT for the Via!

Thank you for the advice given so far and I promise to be back asking questions when the shiny new addition arrives! :D

Rob

Just wanted to add.. Having had the 930 with it's resistive screen, I don't mind that again. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S (wanting an S2!) and the capacitive screen is great... Till your hands are wet or you want to stab the screen with a pen. Also as most of the time either the device will be pre-programmed or my lovely assistant can do battle with it while I concentrate on driving I don't see the screen being one touch system or another being that much of an issue (own opinion here mind..) Hopefully I'm not proven wrong.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
For me the 1000 (or 1005 if you want larger screen) BECAUSE of its touch screen (cappactive is just too slow and unresponsive), because of it s clarity and speed

I think that's entirely down to software issues rather than the screen itself. My old Go300 was faster on screen response than a Go1000.

I also HATE not being able to use the tip of my fingernail to operate capacitive screens. When I'm speed camera verifying I add notes about submissions in the names of Favourites as I save them) and on a direct comparison I regularly make far more spelling mistakes when entering text on a Go 1000 than my Go940.
'Nuff said for me.

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your personal notes, does it matter how bad your spelling is? However, I do agree, I find it quite difficult typing accurately with the iPhone without my fingernail, but then, that tends to be sent to somebody who might be a spelling pedant.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In your personal notes, does it matter how bad your spelling is?

Sometimes it's so bad I have to abandon the verification because I haven't a clue what I was trying to remind myself of! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: