Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How would I do this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How would I do this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: How would I do this? Reply with quote

In the course of my work I could be sent to any one of 500 customer locations, often from one to the other. Many Industrial estates have unnamed roads, and some streets are so long you can still be a mile away from your destination.

I need to plot the specific location of each customer I visit and create a database searchable by customer name, that will take me there. So I need to record the location on the first visit, and add this data to the database.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I would like to share this data with colleagues, and have them update the database as we go along. Please help, I am at a loss where to start!

David.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Probably do this in one of several ways depending on how and when you want to do it.

If you have a few moments after you have visited your client, while outside and the application is running go to map view and click on the area where you are and select add Point of interest from the menu and then create a new POI file to which you can keep adding too as time goes on.

If you maybe have to drive away quickly set one of the hardware buttons up so that it uses the "memorize position" feature of TT. Then later, maybe while at home/office go through each position that you saved and then add as POI's in much the same way. This could get confusing if you have several unnamed roads in the same town etc.

Im sure there is other ways that other posters may suggest, all depends on if you have any information in electronic documents about the clients addresses.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Do you know the full postcode for the majority of your customers? If you do have a look at the free ukpostcode which is a fantastic utility for TTNav on the PPC, written by Niels Thomsen. Which will allow you to navigate to most postcodes in the mainland UK. Thumbs Up

I’ve not tried it, but Richard Davies has written an excellent MS Windows application called CodeSearch, which converts postcodes into to co-ordinates for POIs. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
davidj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Tomo, but I must be a bit thick! I can create the POI, but how do I pick the specific POI I wish to visit?

Privateer, I hear what you are saying - but I figured with a little effort I could get navigation to the door. This becomes even more appealing as I persuade my colleagues to purchase Ipaqs and TTN3 (my first convert got his GPS Receiver today and will no doubt be visiting this forum shortly).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You first create a new POI Database i.e. Client Sites. Then when you visit each site you add that site as a POI in the Client Sites POI List.

Then to navigate to any of those sites you select 'Navigate To', POI, then select Client Sites and you will get a list of all the client sites in that collection which you can search in the same way as any other POI List.
davidj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will do for me Darren, thanks for your help. I am very happy now.

Is it asking too much to sync this from multiple devices? :D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily share a POI file between devices by copying the POI_FILE_NAME.ov2 which can be found in the map folder with your colleagues.

It becomes more difficult if more than one person is compiling the locations as you'll have different versions. In this case you'd need a desktop utility called POIEdit to combine all the different databases into one master that all of you could use. POIEdit is in our downloads section.

I'm an Systems Engineer and do much the same for our client sites and have collate the locations captured by my engineers.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to either use _ underscores when you name your POI file rather than spaces or just a simple one word name. It will work if you create it with spaces but I found that once "customer sites" had been saved to the PPC using POI Edit if I then wanted to add a new POI using TomTom even if i tried to save it under "custome sites" the software would create a new file called "customer_sites" with just that one POI in it!

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were bugs to do with spaces versus underscores in POI file names in many versions of Navigator 2 - but it looks like the bugs have been sorted out to some extent in Navigator 3. Navigator 2 tended to do very odd things if you deleted a point in a POI file with an underscore in its file name.

That said, if you create a POI file outside Navigator, make sure that where you want spaces in the POI name, you use underscores in the file name.

If you want a POI category called Client locations then the file should be Client_locations.ov2.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: