Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inline Skater Triggers Speed Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inline Skater Triggers Speed Camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Inline Skater Triggers Speed Camera Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
28 year old Sam Tuffnell says he believes that he reached a speed of 40mph during his fourth attempt to make a speed camera flash on a downhill stretch of road in Hastings, East Sussex.

His friends, who were filming him at the time, posted the evidence on YouTube where it's fast becoming viral with over 100,000 views already recorded.

The timely event of a fire engine speeding along the road and triggering the speed camera was captured by the friends at the beginning of the video. This confirmed the camera was operational before the attempt started.

Whilst said not to be illegal, many have criticized Sam for his dangerous stunt. All attempts were made in the dark, he wore no lights or safety gear and his first two attempts were made whilst dressed in black.

He then donned a high visibility jacket so the cameras had a better chance of picking him up.

Video: Skater sets off speed camera on inline skates (contains adult language)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it IS illegal - it certainly is on a pedal cycle. But I also suspect not a lot of police resources will be allocated to watching for offenders.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous? Yes!
Stupid? Yes.

Funny? Absolutely.

How are they going to prosecute him, he's got no number plate! Laughing
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can name a person who a long time ago was done for exceeding the speed limit on a pedal cycle

The highway code rule 69 say you must comply with all traffic signs and traffic lights

laws RTA 1988 section 36 and TSRGD reg 10(1)

but the section 36 says
Quote:
36 Drivers to comply with traffic signs.

(1)Where a traffic sign, being a sign—

(a)of the prescribed size, colour and type, or

(b)of another character authorised by the Secretary of State under the provisions in that behalf of the M1Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,

has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.

the TSRGD in its interpretation states

“pedal cycle” means a unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, or cycle having four or more wheels, not being in any case mechanically propelled unless it is an electrically assisted pedal cycle of such class as is to be treated as not being a motor vehicle for the purposes of the 1984 Act(9);

looks like another muck up
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Skater Triggers Speed Camera Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
All attempts were made in the dark, he wore no lights or safety gear and his first two attempts were made whilst dressed in black.

He then donned a high visibility jacket so the cameras had a better chance of picking him up.

It wouldn't make a bit of difference to the camera, but it would have helped him not get run over by a car that didn't see him. Silly plonker.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: InLine skater speeding. Reply with quote

He may be a plonker for doing this but I don't believe it is unlawful.

You may be prosecuted for riding a cycle dangerously or recklessly because a cycle is classified as a carriage (Taylor v Goodwin judgment in 1879) but to include InLine skates under the same law the prosecution would have to prove the skates was a carrige Confused .

The only time I have dealt with anything similar was an drunk idiot on roller skates who skated into someone and injured them. After much head scratching he was charged with assault causing actual bodily hard... Pleaded guilty & fined with costs and had to pay damages in a civil claim.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worried wrote:
I can name a person who a long time ago was done for exceeding the speed limit on a pedal cycle

I was!

Well, I wasn't actually "done", but I was stopped by a police car and (between laughing) they told me I was doing 35 in a 30 limit.

They were really nice about it and I'm afraid I just felt really chuffed about it rather than contrite!

I VERY much doubt I could do it now though.... Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big brother did it back during the war (WWII that is). With me balanced on the crossbar, no brakes, mudguards, bell etc. We hit a parade of WRACs at the bottom of the hill - he got a broken collarbone, I got bounced and a glass of nutritious drinking stuff from the park keeper's wife (I was under five at the time!). Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: