Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin hates flyovers & underpasses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin hates flyovers & underpasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Garmin hates flyovers & underpasses Reply with quote

On nearly every roundabout where there’s a flyover or underpass which is shown on the map, my 3790 always wants to route me round the roundabout instead of going over the flyover. I think this is strange since taking the flyover is obviously quicker but Garmin wants the slower route. Since I’ve had the 3790 it has done this, through every update and map version.

Does this happened to anyone else?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Very Happy

I just have it when I leave home & want a destination to the East of me, it sends me right out of our road to a lane ½ mile away to do a U-turn to go left. I do the sensible thing & just ignore it and do a left turn which is perfectly legal. Rolling Eyes

What I think throws it, is there's a traffic island, which you must keep left of when leaving our road & when they did the programming, they must have made the map data say you must go right all of the time, rather than keep right then turn left!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame Garmin don't have TomTom's Mapshare... you could have corrected it yourself... Smile
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know Andy, I've got a TomTom, a 920T which is currently sitting in the dining room cupboard unused because the mapping is so damned dire.

Garmin's isn't perfect, but it's better than TomTom's rubbish & to say the least puerile efforts. At least both Garmin's we have here 3760 & 3790T are both spot on so far & they haven't told me I'm driving along a railway line, when in Somerset or tried to get me to turn on to one, like the TomTom did.

At least when I update the maps on the Garmin, they fit completely, not like TomToms zoning! Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of routing are you using, Fastest, Shortest, etc ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried both the results are the same, it tells me to turn right do the ½ mile trip & return Eastwards.

Occasionally, it will take me across the hills to the A3 to go to Reigate, when I can just use the A25. Bizarre!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
route me round the roundabout instead of going over the flyover
I know that, because of auto satnavs 'locking' (?) to the nearest road, sometimes a closely parallel road to the one you are actually on can be shown as your route.

Could this be something similar, or perhaps because the underpass/flyover will be at different heights to the main roads and roundabout?

I have seen (and had) similar diversions driving along a motorway where the satnav wants to take you down the slip road and then straight up the other side to rejoin the motorway again Confused . Mind you, I have often saved many minutes on the M25 near Watford doing exactly that on purpose! Razz
wongataa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this a few times on my 255W. It's only at certain junctions though. It was rather annoying at one where I didn't realise it was happening until too late and I got caught in traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: