Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPS database causing satnav to freeze
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPS database causing satnav to freeze
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCJJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MaFt, no i dont.

Regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCJJ wrote:
Hi all i think i found out why. After BIGPERK mentioned about a limited number of POI's being supported, i looked in the POI folder on the garmin device (through my desktop). I saw all the old PGPS camera database's were still on the device.

What were the filenames?

POILoader takes our data and creates a POI.gpi file which it sends to the device. Every time you update it repeats this and overwrites the file.

So I can't understand how you would come to have a number of these?
CCJJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file name was whatever i called it .gpi (e.g. speed cams 27 april.gpi). Is it becuase i was putting differnet files names onto the device each time i added new POI's? (e.g. speed cams 21 april.gpi) etc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCJJ wrote:
The file name was whatever i called it .gpi (e.g. speed cams 27 april.gpi).

Ah I see.
Quote:
Is it becuase i was putting differnet files names onto the device each time i added new POI's? (e.g. speed cams 21 april.gpi) etc

Yes, exactly that. No need to do that, all it will do is create problems as you'll be running multiple versions of the database then.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCJJ wrote:
I'm sure ive read on this forum that when loading new POI's there is no need to delete the old ones as they are overwritten, however this seems to be untrue (for me anyway, as far as i can tell).

That's correct.

PoiLoader USED to overwrite your file each time.

But the Latest version of PoiLoader allows you to choose a name for your file, each time. It only overwrites, if you use the same filename as before.

This new feature is useful eg if loading separate files for different countries.

Dales.
CCJJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH, thanks anyway all
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCJJ wrote:
Hi all i think i found out why. After BIGPERK mentioned about a limited number of POI's being supported, i looked in the POI folder on the garmin device (through my desktop). I saw all the old PGPS camera database's were still on the device. I deleted them all and then installed the current database, and voila, it worked without freezing at all.

I'm sure ive read on this forum that when loading new POI's there is no need to delete the old ones as they are overwritten, however this seems to be untrue (for me anyway, as far as i can tell).

thanks to everyone in the tread!

erm... how are you installing the database? you should not simply copy and paste the csv files to the device. POILoader creates a file called POI.gpi that it transfers to the device - this ALWAYS overwrites the existing POI.gpi.

so, what old files were on the device?!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
erm... how are you installing the database? you should not simply copy and paste the csv files to the device. POILoader creates a file called POI.gpi that it transfers to the device - this ALWAYS overwrites the existing POI.gpi.

You may want to go back and read the other replies Wink

New POILoader offers users the option of renaming the .gpi file before upload. If you do, then you end up with a load of previous versions.

I've made a note and will annotate the install guide to alert to this.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MaFt wrote:

You may want to go back and read the other replies Wink

New POILoader offers users the option of renaming the .gpi file before upload. If you do, then you end up with a load of previous versions.

I've made a note and will annotate the install guide to alert to this.

i know, that was weird... i must have had the thread open for a couple of hours (while i watched Burke & Hare - good film by the way!) then replied without refreshing to see all the updates!!

MaFt
YellowMonster
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: PGPS database causing satnav to freeze Reply with quote

Noted that the installation of multiple PGPS databases causes the 'freezing problem'.

Have checked and only one database installed on my Garmin 1490T.

Removing the voice files does remove the problem.

Anyone got any idea's ?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post recently suggesting (IIRC) that getting an alert voice at the same time as a route instruction may be a cause of freezing (but I can't say for sure if it was a Garmin).
K2WES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have intermittent freezes when displaying speed camera symbols on a Nuvi 1240. Back to menu and return to map clears it.

Only Gpi files are poi.gpi (Garmin original ?) and speedcam.gpi. Latest updates installed.

Frequent enough to be quite irritating.
G12345
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently upgraded from an older Nuvi to a 1340, and I am getting the same problem. Occasionally the map freezes when camera is approached, back out to menu and back to map gets things going again.

Have tried consolidated and speed-zoned, and tried all combinations of map detail and 3d/2d settings. Still happens regularly.

Same problem is reported in another post....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87957

I guess it's probably a Garmin software issue, but am puzzled why it doesn't happen with the built in Cyclops database? I haven't got voices enabled. Could it be something to do with the bitmap files? It seems to happen more frequently, but not exclusively, when there are a number of camera icons on the screen at one time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
G12345
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G12345 wrote:
Could it be something to do with the bitmap files? It seems to happen more frequently, but not exclusively, when there are a number of camera icons on the screen at one time.

Update - have established that it's unrelated to the camera bmp files. Tried removing them and freezing still occurs. Without the bmps loaded, cameras appear on the screen as small circles, so their location is still apparent. (I did find a post on another forum - http://www.poi-factory.com/node/28569 - where freezing associated with a particular poi was solved by removing the bmp file).

Have tried various other tweaks, including updating POILoader. Also had a go at combining all the data from the csv files into one, and replacing the text for gatso, specs, mobile etc with "camera". I tried this to see whether the unit might be stalling when confronted with several different types of camera at the same location. Cameras all worked fine, but the freezing problem still occurred though.

Interestingly, drove 300 miles yesterday without a single freeze - other than on a section of dual carriageway where it seems I can now reliably reproduce the issue. On the road in question, things are fine until I am driving through a section that brings up at least 4 camera alerts within a space of about 1000 yards. Halfway through the section, the display stops moving and will remain frozen until I back out to the menu.

I've noticed that, even if I wait until I've driven on to an area with no cameras at all, when I back out to the menu the first thing that happens is that the speed camera alert screen comes up (the one that you see if you are driving without the map visible) and it plays the alert chime sound. Maybe something is getting stuck with the audio buffering on the unit???

Will keep testing and trying to eliminate possible causes.
G12345
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to get access to more parameters to try changing, i downloaded Ash10s Camera Manager. Using Poiloader, it created a much larger gpi file from the gpx files in the database folder. Tried it live today and the Garmin got through the troublesome stretch of road in both directions on my run to work without a hint of a freeze! I just ran the Camera Manager with the default settings.

Not sure why this has made a difference. Will keep testing over the forthcoming days, but this might be something that others could also try to see if it works in their situation also?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: