Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting via USB prompts Windows to scan & fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting via USB prompts Windows to scan & fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Connecting via USB prompts Windows to scan & fix Reply with quote

When connecting my TT720T to my PC Windows always pops up saying it recommends a scan & fix for alleged errors on that hdd.

I always ignore, but should I let Windows do it?

Can TT Home update cause a problem on device, as since last update I seem to have lost my RDS TMC traffic bar?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let Windoze try to scan AND fix a device running Linux, for a start its possible it will see the .chk files and delete them, without these the device won't even boot up, keep pressing the NO button when Windoze offers to "fix" your device - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not know whether your O/S is Vista or not but this link may be of interest:
http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/10724-vista-error-scan-fix.html

(or not......... Cool )
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: which o/s Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Do not know whether your O/S is Vista or not but this link may be of interest:
http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/10724-vista-error-scan-fix.html

(or not......... Cool )

It's Vista; thanks for link.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save time, the "golddust" in that link of dhn's is the following link for

Resolve Vista Scan and Fix Error When Plugging in IPOD or other Devices

Incidentally, I've never seen the Windows 'chkdsk' command delete any of the .chk files on a TomTom, but it HAS solved several odd file corruption problems.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

Thanks all; anyone have a view on other RDS query and effect of TT Home?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting via USB prompts Windows to scan & fix Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:

Can TT Home update cause a problem on device, as since last update I seem to have lost my RDS TMC traffic bar?

That depends entirely on WHAT was updated. Do you know what you agreed to?

But really, the only thing I can think of that could definitely cause it would be a software update and there hasn't been one of those for the720 in years, so if you were up to date already it wouldn't have been that.

Do you have a reasonably recent backup you can roll back to? (If not why not?! Laughing )
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes backed up; was only TT Home updated, but I was checking that a change to this wouldn't affect the TT itself;
have a response from TT after submitting ticket, which incidentally you can't seem to do with IE9 at moment; clicking e mail link, box pops up, but has no text in! (Reported that too).

Can't post TT reply as pocketgps won't accept my pasting in as suggests something about using BB code; don't know how to do that.
Shame info may have been useful.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
Can't post TT reply as pocketgps won't accept my pasting in as suggests something about using BB code; don't know how to do that.

It's usually caused by greater than and less than symbols. You could replace them with another character.
Samsung Galaxy S21
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: TT Reply Reply with quote

Yes backed up; was only TT Home updated, but I was checking that a change to this wouldn't affect the TT itself;
have a response from TT after submitting ticket, which incidentally you can't seem to do with IE9 at moment; clicking e mail link, box pops up, but has no text in! (Reported that too).

TT Response/solution; something for the weekend.!

I would like to first of all inform you that there are not any major difference in the normal RDS-TMC Receiver as they both give the same traffic information, however the only difference between them is that the new RDS-TMC Receiver can be connected via USB.

If your RDS-TMC receiver is not connecting properly to your device, please follow the steps below. Some instructions will depend on whether you use a PC or Mac, and for these we have the PC instructions and first and the Mac instructions just after that so please follow the ones for your own system.

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home
(Link removed as pocket gps won't seem to let me post with it in)
If you haven't already done so, please download and Install the latest version of TomTom Home from
www.tomtom.com/service

STEP 2 - Creating a backup of your map

- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )
- Connect your device to the computer and turn it on
- Open the Home software, go to page 2 and press on the "Manage My Device" (Go, ONE, XL) button.
- Tick your map and press on the "Copy to Computer" button

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your map.

STEP 3 Run a Disk Error check

Check your device for any errors. You can do this by visiting www.tomtom.com/9907, which has instructions for each operating system.

STEP 4 Delete the Application Files

On a PC:
-------------
- Open My Computer; you will see the device as a removable disk. Double click into it.
- You will see a list of yellow folders and a list of loose files
- Delete all of the loose files (Loose files are the files that are not Yellow Folders)
**IMPORTANT**: Any of the other YELLOW folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
- Delete the yellow folder called GNS - this is the only yellow folder that you should delete.

On a Mac:
--------------
- On your desktop, you will see the TomTom disk here, please click into it.
- You will see a list of blue folders and a list of loose files
- Delete all of the loose files (Loose files are the files that are not blue Folders)
**IMPORTANT**: Any of the other BLUE folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
- Delete the blue folder called GNS - this is the only blue folder that you should delete.

STEP 5 Delete the Downloaded Program Application file on your computer

- Open TomTom Home 2
- Click on ‘Manage my GO/ONE Items on Computer’
- Tick the option for ‘Applications’
- Click on ‘Remove items from computer'

STEP 6 Update Your Device.

- Click on 'Update my Go', or 'Update My One'
- In the list of updates, you will see a 'Program Application'.
- Deselect all other updates that may appear then click on 'Update and Install'. This will download and install the program application update.
- Please repeat STEP 6 until no further application updates are offered.
- Once complete, Click on 'Device Disconnect Device', then turn off your device and disconnect it from your computer.
- Switch the device on; it should load up to the map screen.

STEP 7 Run the Clear Flash tool.

- Download the clear flash tool from http://www.tomtom.com/6178 and follow the instructions on this web page.
- Once this has completed, switch your unit off, disconnect it from the Computer and then switch it back on.

STEP 8 Connect your TMC Receiver

- In your car, lay out the RDS TMC Receiver in a straight line across your dashboard
- Switch the device on
- Connect the TMC receiver to your device and make sure that the receiver is firmly plugged in. You might need to press a little bit harder to make sure.
- You should see on the screen of the device a message to say that the RDS TMC receiver has been connected.
- If not, try rotating the Plug of the TMC receiver connected to the unit by 1/4 turns, and see if the screen shows this message (this only applies to non-USB receivers).

Please also check to see if the RDS TMC socket is not damaged in anyway and also if there the black 'O' Ring is not missing in the socket where you connect the RDS TMC receiver (this only applies to non-USB receivers).

Can you let me know if this has worked for you? If not, to help me verify that you have the correct RDS TMC receiver for your device, can you please confirm your TMC Receiver's article code and the Serial number for your TomTom product?

The article code can be found on a white label on the cable of the TMC Receiver, it usually begins with 4V00.XXX. Please state if the RDS TMC receiver came 'inside the box' or whether it was bought separately.

The Serial Number for your device can be found on the base of the TomTom device by the barcode, and also, you can find it on the original box of your product.

I would like to also inform you that I have escalated you case to the concerned department about the incompatibility of the TomTom website with the Internet Explorer v9. We take all feedback received very seriously in the future development of our products, therefore we have passed your comments on to our Product Management and Marketing Team

We strive constantly to improve our products, and your opinion has been forwarded to marketing department.

I will try my best to take this feedback to the concerned department and lets see if in future we get to see the TomTom website compatible with the Internet Explorer v9.

Please update me about the progress made by you so that I can help you accordingly to get the issue resolved.

I will be waiting for your reply. Thank you for your valuable time and giving me an opportunity to assist you.

With Kind Regards

Naomi S.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
Yes backed up; was only TT Home updated,

Oh I see... I thought you meant "a Home update to the Go..."

An update to Home itself shouldn't affect ANYTHING on the Go itself.

peasemore wrote:

That definitely sounds like the forward arrows that TT use in there descriptions of menus and button presses.

EDIT... Oh I see you've fixed it now. Smile

There's nothing in that set of instructions that we wouldn't have suggested though....

Basically it's
Backup (but DON'T use Home like they say)
Delete and replace program files
Run ScanDisk/ChkDsk
Run Clearflash
Make sure you're updated.

All standard stuff.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom wrote:
. . . try rotating the Plug of the TMC receiver connected to the unit by 1/4 turns, and see if the screen shows this message (this only applies to non-USB receivers)

Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words "give it a wiggle"! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: