Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Icons on a replacement TomTom 740
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Icons on a replacement TomTom 740
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Icons on a replacement TomTom 740 Reply with quote

Hi,
PocketGPS very kindly made a couple of icons for me - my Rover 75 and '96 Mustang both feature in the current list offered!
I used them happily on a 740 for over a year, but the device had problems - every time I used TomTom's 3 monthly map update service the device crashed, and I spent a few hours on the 'phone to Holland sorting it out. They eventually gave me a replacement 740, but the new one won't accept the icons. The blue arrow "default" icon works, and my icons, plus others I downloaded from TomTom's site appear in my TomTom Home, but on the device they appear as named, but empty boxes - the only available icon is the default. TomTom say the default is the only official icon, and problems with any others are nothing to do with them - they can't explain why icons saved from my old 740 don't work on my replacement 740 . . . please can anyone help?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "icons" I guess you mean the car cursor?

First check is that you have the device set to 3D view - the cursors only work in 3D, not 2D.

If that's OK, then it sounds as though you have perhaps not quite got it right, installing them. I suggest you try doing it all again - you download the cursor/s you want, then copy it/them into the Art/Cars folder using Windows Explorer.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice there... Try to use Home as little as possible for things like this. Simple copy-paste using Windows Explorer is quicker and less troublesome.

Good to see Customer Services are being as helpful as ever - NOT! Evil or Very Mad
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: TomTom 740 icons / car cursors Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thanks for the prompt replies.
When I connect my TomTom to my Mac (!) the device appears in TomTom Home, plus folders appear on the desk top called "TomTom Internal" and "TomTom SD". I am copying the files from the backup of my old 740, on which they worked. TomTom has a folder called "Art" which contains a folder called "Cars" and I simply copied and pasted from the backup file to the same folder on the SD card in the TomTom.
In TomTom Home-on my device-icons the cars are listed as being installed on the SD card, and show as pictures, but on the TomTom itself they show as named, but empty boxes which can't be selected.
Selecting 2D or 3D views doesn't make any difference.
I can't see why files that worked on the old 740 won't work on the new one: would downloading them again from your site make any difference?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you per chance copied the cars folder from your back up so the folder structure looks like this:

Art/ cars/ cars

with the icons from the backup in the second cars folder?

If so move all the icons in to the first cars folder and delete the now empty second cars folder leaving you with a folder structure thus:

Art/ cars

Mike
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: 740 "cars" Reply with quote

... sadly, not.
If I connect the TomTom to Home, I get desktop icons for the internal memory and SD cards.
Opening the internal memory file, the structure is: Internal Memory-Art-Cars.
Cars contains: default.bmp, mustang_cobra_1996.bmp, Rover_75_silver.bmp, and thumbs.dat
The three icon files each have a picture on the desktop, but when viewed on the TomTom main menu-change preferences-change car symbol there is a square containing a blue arrow labelled "default". The others are present, but as labelled, empty square boxes! Curiously, there are two Rover and two Mustang boxes . . . .
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: 740 cars Reply with quote

... I just deleted the car files from the TomTom internal memory using TomTom Home, and re-copied them by drag / drop from the old TomTom backup file to the desktop Internal Memory file.
TomTom Home says I have one icon - the default blue arrow, but on the actual device I have the default, plus 4 others: 2 empty squares labelled Mustang and Rover, and two complete, working icons labelled Mustang and Rover . . . .
It would be nice to delete the blanks, but since they don't show on the computer, and you can't delete using the device, I guess the "ghosts" just stay there?
Thanks for your time, and if you have an explanation, I'd be delighted!
Regards,
Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are using a memory card try putting all the icons in to both the built in memory Art/ cars folder and the memory card Art/ cars folder, certain functions/ features don't like double folders in separate locations and this might be one such example - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the last post I made please use Windows Explorer to copy the files to the correct drive and folder as TomTom Home is renowned for screwing up this simple task and will lead you up the garden path when you try to trouble shoot what it might have done - Mike
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: 740 car "icons" Reply with quote

Thanks for all the time you are spending on this!
When I used my first TomTom map update, their new map wouldn't fit on their internal drive! Their "fix" was to buy a micro SD card to put the map on . . . .
Following their instructions, the application, voices and car symbols are on the internal drive, and the map (with PocketGPS cameras!) is on the SD card, so there is no doubling up of files.
I'm using a Mac, so I don't have Windows Explorer. I used TomTom Home to delete the files, then the Mac system to copy the replacements from my backup file to the SD card in the TomTom. TomTom Home says I only have the default symbol, but the device itself says i have 2 blanks and 2 working icons . . . .
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 740 car "icons" Reply with quote

Alan4me wrote:
but the device itself says i have 2 blanks and 2 working icons . . . .
IIRC, I don't have access to a Mac, the Mac also creates a temp file that uses a '.' added to it.

Have a look at MaFt's, and Darren's, posts in This Topic.

It might throw some light on the problem.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your issue is related to Mac's file system which uses a number of hidden files in its operation. These are visible in normal usage on a Mac but will appear when files are copied to a non-Mac filesystem such as your TomTom.

The files are called Dot_Underscore files. If you copy an icon to your TomTom, you would then see the Dot_Underscore file as well as the original icon and only the original will work as an icon.

There is a command that can be performed via Terminal to delete these on the mounted drive or you can use an app called BlueHarvest.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
These are in?visible in normal usage on a Mac....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes quite!
Alan4me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... thanks Guys!
Being a lazy *** and bearing in mind that it is now "not broken", I'm not going to fix it!
I can live with a couple of meaningless files in the car images folder I never look in . . . .
A last thought - the car pictures now appear on the TomTom screen, but they have a white outline they didn't have before. . . .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: