Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Tele Atlas Is Not For Sale
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Tele Atlas Is Not For Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap
Kia In-dash Tomtom
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
China will be more about cities, rather than trying to service the entire country. ... So if there's any place in need for HD traffic it's over there.
Do people here find HD effective in a city, such as London or Birmingham? I would have thought that avoidance options are quite limited in cities, compared with the 'open road', and that they would be even less useful in a country with a limited road infrastructure?

I'm interested generally, as I quite often go through London, and am unsure about the reliability of Live Traffic on my satnav there)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Quote:
China will be more about cities, rather than trying to service the entire country. ... So if there's any place in need for HD traffic it's over there.
Do people here find HD effective in a city, such as London or Birmingham? I would have thought that avoidance options are quite limited in cities, compared with the 'open road', and that they would be even less useful in a country with a limited road infrastructure?

I'm interested generally, as I quite often go through London, and am unsure about the reliability of Live Traffic on my satnav there)
To be honest, I would have expected HD Traffic to be more effective in a city - for example, in London I always approach along the A4 into Hammersmith, Knightsbridge and invariably finish up crawling along Piccadilly, which makes me madder than a hatter. I don't understand why HD doesn't offer to re-route me away from that nightmare and there are so many side streets you'd think it would be easy to pick up a "rat run" (if only you knew the one-way setups, because TomTom doesn't, nor would I expect it ever to be 100% correct with so much so-called Traffic Management being messed about with by local authorities). By contrast, the options for alternatives are very limited on the open road, which is not a great grid of side roads, unlike towns.

I have a suspicion that HD Traffic is being messed up somewhat by IQ Routing - that's a year old and influences the original route. Supposedly, the IQ route is the best known route according to last year's driving history, and takes into account "normal" traffic circumstances - Route A would take you 30 minutes on a clear run, but IQ Routes "knows" it was 45 minutes in rush hour last year, so 45 minutes becomes the standard for that time of day. If HD Traffic sees 47 minutes, it regards it as only a two minute delay and doesn't bother offering to reroute. IMPORTANT - this is pure supposition on my part based on what I've read about IQ Routes and HD Traffic and my own useage of them, which may not be typical, so don't treat me as the oracle! But I have to say that my four year old map and Navigator 6 don't ever seem to offer me any great difference of route to the latest map and Navcore on my GO550 Live. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your answer in summary is 'NO' then. Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
So your answer in summary is 'NO' then. Twisted Evil

Not so! More a bit of fence-sitting really. I'm undecided about HD Traffic - it is certainly better than any other satnav add-on I've experienced, but I'm not entirely convinced, so accepting alternative routing has been a very rare occurrence for me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: